Who will be the next UK prime minister (Conservative leader)

What’s your short-list of countries to migrate business to?

Hunt really loves China. He admires their social credit system. Nuts.

His wife is from Xian, Shaanxi province in China.

1 Like

From my experience it’s very important to be close to the market you are selling into. Otherwise things just don’t work very well. So if UK is a big market you will have to keep something locally there I reckon.

The goal is to separate all non UK sales out of the UK company and shield them from the liabilities of being in the UK.

So a new company in EU, probably Italy. And a new company in US for NA.

1 Like

The shambolic U.K. leadership continued…………

1 Like

Daily Mail, August 2: “Liz has the boldness, vision, and strength of conviction to build on what Boris began…”

Nigel Farrage, 23 09 22: “Today was the best Conservative budget since 1986.”

Allister Heath, Editor, Sunday Telegraph: “This is the best budget I have ever heard a British Chancellor deliver, by a massive margin. The tax cuts were so huge and bold, the language so extraordinary, that at times, listening to Kwasi Kwarteng [Chancellor of the Exchequer, fired two days ago]. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming…”

David Frost (Lord Frost) 23 09 22: “What an excellent statement from Kwasi Kwarteng [repeat: fired for incompetence two days ago]. Poper tax cuts. Reforms in the pipeline on infrastructure and enterprise. IR35 burdens to be abolished. A focus on growth and improving our economy’s productive capacity.
All delivered with huge inteelectual confidence.”

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1581323079611211776

And many more raptures from Conservatives.
Prediction: none of them will ever apologise for being wrong, all of them will completely sweep it into the memory hole and never refer to it again, while they continue to call for massive tax cuts for the wealthy.

2 Likes

Move to a better town if you can (what keeps you there)? I was in Manchester/Liverpool area. People seem more upbeat.

1 Like

It means if Britain had stayed in the EU it wouldn’t have fared any better.

1 Like

Somewhat off-topic, but would you recommend the UK for Taiwanese kids to go and study?

I recommend it, if you start a new topic on this I will reply in more detail if you want it.

2 Likes

The way the EU handled brexit has put me off a lot and makes me think it’s was the right thing. They have been extra petty and have purposely made things more difficult than it has to be as I navigate the new import export laws they keep changing up to be petty to the UK.

They remind me of China and the Chinese mentality of how they handle Taiwan, Tibet, and HK.

4 Likes

Can you tell us what are these new import export laws the EU has supposedly created? Or are you confusing it with the enforcement of existing import regulations on non EU members? Because I am not aware of any new laws that have been applied to the UK.

The EU isn’t anything equivalent to China, it’s not perfect either of course. Pushing all member states to host large number of refugees being a particular bug bear.

The UK could have simply done a soft Brexit and stayed in the customs union with a sweet deal but it was the UK (BoJo and MPs) that insisted, bizarrely, on hard Brexit, because they didn’t want to compromise on anything.

The UK can’t get a US trade deal signed now because a) they wouldn’t play ball with NI issues until recently but more importantly b} signing trade deals with a big economy is never easy and will always have to compromise on your interests

4 Likes

They made new rules for VAT collection. Although it impacts all sales from outside the EU, the timing is telling as it was when Brexit happened. There was no reason to change it when they had something that worked for everyone before brexit.

They said it would be easier. And perhaps for large corporations with the team to sign up for the new program quickly and understand it. But this was particularly confusing for smaller businesses like mine in e commerce.

And the EU does remind of China in how they reacted when the UK didn’t want to be a part of it.

3 Likes

I woke up this morning and had my car broken into and my stuff stolen last night.

What is going on in the UK?

2 Likes

Never leave anything of value in a car in the UK. A police friend told me 30 years ago to even consider leaving doors unlocked in bad areas. Saves replacing windows.

3 Likes

I thought that was very common in America.

1 Like

My friend’s a police officer and he always leaves his glove compartment open with a sign saying there’s nothing of value in this vehicle.

3 Likes

In some places, yes.

Haven’t ever had it happen to me in the US. But then again where I lived in Texas I wouldn’t worry about leaving my front door unlocked unless I was gone on a trip.

I think they may actually have tried to steal the car but couldn’t and just took my stuff instead. The car was dead this morning but it looks like the car cut off to prevent it or something. Stealing cars seems to be very common here. I see many posts about it on social media of people asking to look out for it. They particularly go after range rovers it seems.

1 Like

I read that car theft and car break-ins are extremely common in San Francisco and Los Angeles, like to the point that all the cars parking on a street would get broken in or something, which is ridiculous. It’s also quite common in France.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k13952524-Car_break_ins-France.html

What a mess lol. I’ve never heard anything like this in Taiwan.