Who will be the next UK prime minister (Conservative leader)

It’s hard not to conclude there was a concerted effort to ruin the country. I don’t think “incompetence” is adequate explanation for a sequence of decisions that had a 100% predictable outcome.

2 Likes

One thing that jumped out at me was Truss admitting (in her speech when she became PM) the ‘managed decline’ - which she was going to fix. She was a part of it.

2 Likes

Yet Brexit had large support and BoJo was elected with another big majority pushing hard Brexit.
One wonders .

1 Like

I don’t think @finley is talking about Brexit, more like the response to the coronavirus, all the lockdowns and restrictions that made no sense. Now the likes of Bill Gates are trying to say they didn’t know the numbers weighed heavily on the side of the elderly (or obese or people with pre existing conditions), that’s not true, we knew that almost right away which is why the actions taken made no sense.

2 Likes

Another posting for Brexit bore’s. Not this one.

Sacked to save her own useless Ass.
A dizzying 24 hours for UK politics… in under a minute A dizzying 24 hours for UK politics... in under a minute - BBC News

Uncomfortable truths hitting the UK hard right now.

Since Brexit the UK has been getting poorer and poorer. Your cities stagnating. Foreign investment dropping.

Choosing the right policies matters.

They WANT you to be poorer by devaluing the pound in your pocket so you will have ‘economic growth’. Yes that’s right, their great economic idea was to make you, the British public, poorer, by devaluing your savings and income .

Economic growth for who?

Apart from the fact it DOESN’T EVEN WORK as the markets don’t want to be paid back in copper pennies.

1 Like

:rofl:

Seems like you agree.

It seems unarguable to me that Brexit has been a short term economic shitstorm for people who aren’t rich. On balance I am still in support of it.

1 Like

You may be right on Brexit but as a outsider watching, I still think you will need more time to understand the winners and losers of Brexit.

There’s just too much noise with everything else with Brexit to say definitely on what are the results of Brexit.

On the micro level, I am a consequence of Brexit. UK pushed to get more non EU talent. One of the things they did was give all graduates a 2 year work visa to do anything. They got me and now I employ 3 Brit’s full time. We will see how the dust settles further down on many of the consequences of Brexit.

2 Likes

Tbf the EU is just as crap, if not more. Seems to me that the UK’s problem is believing that it’s high and mighty like the US when it really isn’t.

4 Likes

Saying the ‘EU’ is just as crap doesn’t mean anything because there are 27 countries in the EU, all with different things going on, different economies, even different currencies.

And what is ’just as crap’ exactly and why would that be helpful to the UK right now anyway?

Why would that make a difference and be better for the UK and is that actually true and backed by the statistics?
Also many of the brexiteers said they were going to reduce immigration but the whole thing gets a different spin every few years. They were saying all the foreigners were dragging their NHS down…while it’s foreigners that actually keep it going!

Anyway the Tories are still dragging the UK through the mud but they have to wait another two years to get rid of em. Bunch of funking eejits :smile:

Heard down the Red Lion…

Apparently Kwasi got upgraded to First Class on the way back from the United States. No one wanted him anywhere near Business or Economy.

:smiley:

4 Likes

Perhaps the title of this thread takes on relevance again in the next few weeks.

So who is going to be the next UK prime minster?

3 Likes

At this rate the uk would be better off with no one at all in charge.

After listening to both parties, I have no hope. I live in a labour stronghold city, we have the highest council taxes and the highest crime. They can’t govern and we spent so much on adult social care. It’s clear the conservatives are incompetent and for big businesses.

Labour: For the workers. Meaning they will tax everyone to death. Same story everywhere.

Conservative: we are pro business. Meaning they are pro big business.

No one cares about the people that make this country run. Over half of the GDP are from small businesses and self employed people the last time I checked. Why is no one helping us? I can’t actually take care of my workers if the labour have their way seeing how they tax me in my town. I can’t compete with big businesses when the conservatives are in charge.

What am I to do?

5 Likes

Both parties lost touch with the people years ago.
Been a really sad case of a Country since 2000. Maybe before I noticed.
I was self employed all my working life in U.K. and I will say the Tories was good to us! I come from Labour supporting family from many generations, however what’s good for at present time I will vote for.
Holding old fashioned values is no good you vote what’s good for you.
Taxes are the biggest burden for all families, they literally tax anything, anyway they can.
However I do think (only think I don’t know) will pick up going through all the shit turmoil world wide. The US dollar is nearly bankrupting the world, that needs sorting out!

1 Like

Sunak will sell the UK to Indian oligarchs and Hunt Chinese oligarchs!