Who's Going to Win the World Series?

i have to admit the cubs are looking pretty tough

the yankees are a little bit too cocky, which explains why they didnt bother to show up to game 1 with the twins until the 9th inning, but i think theyll turn it on later on in the playoffs

yanks all da way

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]“World” Series? You mean the World Cup. Gotta wait for 2006, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know, I’m being facetious. Still, the very idea that it’s called the “World” Series is amusing.[/quote]

It’s amusing, but if you can find any club team in the world that can match up to the Yankees, Red Sox or Braves, be my guest.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]“World” Series? You mean the World Cup. Gotta wait for 2006, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know, I’m being facetious. Still, the very idea that it’s called the “World” Series is amusing.[/quote]

Its officially called the World Series of Baseball. It ws originally orgainized by the New York World News newspaper. The “World” referes to the paper not the planet.

World itself is often used to define a secular, subset of humanity (i.e., old world, wayne’s world, that guy is in his own world, its a mans world, wide, wide world of sports, color my world, my world is in turmoil…)

You have merely expressed a common misconception about what is really going on here. In fact the World Cup is the really amusing naming convention here, why not Global Cup, International Cup, Football Players Supreme Cup…

I think you get the picture.

Chou

RED SOX!!

[quote=“chodofu”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]“World” Series? You mean the World Cup. Gotta wait for 2006, unfortunately.

Its officially called the World Series of Baseball. It ws originally orgainized by the New York World News newspaper. The “World” referes to the paper not the planet.

World itself is often used to define a secular, subset of humanity (i.e., old world, wayne’s world, that guy is in his own world, its a mans world, wide, wide world of sports, color my world, my world is in turmoil…)

You have merely expressed a common misconception about what is really going on here. In fact the World Cup is the really amusing naming convention here, why not Global Cup, International Cup, Football Players Supreme Cup…

I think you get the picture.

Chou[/quote]
Ah, so its origins are not merely parochial self-aggrandizement. Still, it sounds funny.

World is often used in terms like “Wayne’s World,” true enough, but its first and foremost meaning is still “the earth and its inhabitants.” The World Cup is open to anybody. The “World” Series is not.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]
Ah, so its origins are not merely parochial self-aggrandizement. Still, it sounds funny.

World is often used in terms like “Wayne’s World,” true enough, but its first and foremost meaning is still “the earth and its inhabitants.” The World Cup is open to anybody. The “World” Series is not.[/quote]

O.K. Princess,
you got me there, but at least the team rosters are worldly (even if half the players are rednecks). Its a good start, and with MBL global promotions, olympic medals, in a world where the game is played in nearly all countires of the western hemisphere, much of Europe, and throughout Asia and Australia parochial is much strong a world, and I envision a day, in my lifetime, when you will no longer be able to kick me around on this one.

After one inning, the score remains PP 1, Dofu 0.
Dofu: Two Hits, No Runs, No Errors
PP: Two Hits, 1 Run, 1 Error

Clearly I need to work on my pitching.

Chou

Cho, give yourself a run for that info on the NY World News. That’s good stuff, most people, including baseball fans, don’t know that.

My my score, it’s Cho 1, PP girl 1.

[quote=“WarMonkey”]Cho, give yourself a run for that info on the NY World News. That’s good stuff, most people, including baseball fans, don’t know that.

My my score, it’s Cho 1, PP girl 1.[/quote]

I gave it hit, but if you want to score it as a home run. Well thats fine by me :smiley: . Caution, for as they say in the fantasy world, live stats are unofficial.

Chou

give it up for the bronx bombers!!! world series, usa series–whatever you want to call it-- here we come!!

bring on a real world series!

wouldn’t you pay 45 US dollars to watch the yankees play the brother elephants? the japan league champion should get included. which other leagues merit inclusion?

a home run is a hit, isn’t it?

2: 1 Marlins and I can’t believe Giants lost at 11 Innings…but that was def. a great game!

[quote=“skeptic yank”]bring on a real world series!

wouldn’t you pay 45 US dollars to watch the yankees play the brother elephants? the Japan league champion should get included. which other leagues merit inclusion?

a home run is a hit, isn’t it?[/quote]

It is the grandaddy of all hits, super charged in its Grand Slam form. Pure fulfillment. Completion of the batters goal with one swing of the bat. As close as we get to nirvana while remaining in this world.

I’ve never hit one.

Chou

I guess I jinxed the Giants by not including them in the poll.

grandfather of all hits? hmmm…maybe no. having had the pleasure of been a fan of whiteyball and a spectator of mcgwire mania i am of the opinion that a well timed hit 'n run is as least as exhilarating as a homer.

furthermore, i think homer run mania is ruining the game. everyone plays for the long ball. fundamentals (larussa: “it isn’t my job to coach.”) are negelected as guys who can’t even hit their weight (245?)swing for the fences. boring. if i wanted such i’d go watch slow pitch softball.

early in the babe’s slugging career his manager apologized for the bambino’s behaviour? was it the drunk carousing? no. babe was trying to hit homeruns. back then, homeruns weren’t the objective and rather a crass display of poor sportsmanship. putting the ball in play was the idea. PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY. why has baseball failed to gain fans pretty much anywhere outside of america’s sphere of onetime military influence? in no small part because to the non-adepti it is as boring as watching snot roll. for better or worse, the babe did change the way the game was played.

bases loaded. pujols at the plate. does he go for the homer and clear the bases or try to hit one where they ain’t? a homer in no way compares in excitement value to a live ball in play and cardinals(or your team) running all over the place. ain’t even close.

ah the fundamentals required to place a hit. pretty much a lost art in MLB. ever watch cricket? the skills of the batsmen is a joy to behold. they wield their bats like gramps did the carving knife on turkey day: deftly and with poise of intent.

why was the marlins clincher of this day one for the ages? because of the long ball? no. fundamentals were beautifully performed. pudge got his cooperstown plaque forged today. anything after this day is icing on the cake. the beauty is the game played inside the lines.

you can keep the DH if we can just move the fences back out to where they were in the mike schmidt, george foster, andre dawson days: when homers meant something because they weren’t as common as hookers in haikou.

why don’t teams playing in hitter’s heavens win many world series? wrigley is cozy. fenway has its short porch. atlanta, the house that henry built…, cards ain’t won squat sinc ethey brought the fences in. rocks?

if the objective is to win the world series, building a team and a ballpark around the homerun has not proven to be a successful way to go. why? perhaps because in stressing the long ball the essentials to well rounded play are neglected. why are the marlins still leapin and the giants slain? where was the great bonds? fundamentals and put the ball in play will carry the day most everytime. and be fun to watch as well. you can hide lack of fundamentals over the long run 162 game season. in the playoffs everything is chippier and things are tighter. any dullness of the blade is revealed in battle. series over 3-0.

p.s. last year, when SF was in the big series, who made the fielding error that may very well have cost them it all? bigger name than buckner. perhaps the costliest fielding error of all time. could say it cost his team the WS. yet, less than a year on, the event is already forgotten. what homers give in short term ejaculatory spasms of glee they sap away from the tender caress of a well timed stroke, a masterfully placed tweak or a nicely positioned thrust up the gut.

don’t wanna take away from the primal joys of a gang bang homerun but rather merely wish to emphasis the tantric alternative: fundamentals. fundamentals, fundamentals. one offers a passing euphoria no doubt. the other forments a lifelong passion and desire to revist the scenario time and again. we each are free to choose as we see fit.

PS a walk-off single is as much fun as a walk-off homer. a walk-off single ending with a play at the plate is many times more exciting than a walk-off homer.

Skeptic, that was beautiful…

To add to your thoughts, there is a saying in MLB…“Nothing sweeter than a triple.” What about the suicide squeeze? I love a good squeeze. Or an Inside the Park homer…those are fun…

Bill Lee once said that strike outs are facist…they don’t allow anyone else to play…by that logic, home runs are equally facist.

This said, I still love a “see-ya-later-tater”. Delino DeSheilds jerked one out on the first pitch of opening day the last year I was in Montreal…that was memorable…Barry Bonds father, the late Bobby Bonds, notched a Grand Slam his 1st time ever at bat…that’s memorable too…Dave Kingman forced the Olympic Stadium in Montreal to paint the foul line on the roof cuz he kept jerking them thru the hole in the roof and the umpies couldn’t tell fair from foul…cool huh?

McGwire hit some monster shots and everyone said it was the ‘roids’ he was taking…maybe the roids allowed him to launch them as far as he did, but 550’ or 396’ is still a homerun…interestingly, his 62nd was the shortest of the bunch.

And then there’s Rick Monday’s blast that ended the beloved Expos longest run ever…damn I hate home runs…

Bunt, steal, deceive, all that makes the game grand…but the homer is part of the game, an exciting part, probably the most exciting part for the lay-fan, so let’s not knock the homer…

Who cares now that the Giants are out?

I should read first. You mean that game went to 11. Watched until the fifth, when the Giants were trailing by three or four.

damn

Skeptic and Toesave,

all so true and good. It is the spiritual aspects of the game “the moments” that matter most to the individual. Still though fullfilling ones destiny by making it around the circle (Diamond in baseballese), is what gies a player and his team the most fulfillment.

Isn’t that why we call it “Coming Home”?

Chou

[quote=“Alleycat”]Who cares now that the Giants are out?

I should read first. You mean that game went to 11. Watched until the fifth, when the Giants were trailing by three or four.

damn[/quote]

Yup, came down to the tying run being thrown out at the plate for the last out.

Cubs win! Maybe I better re-write that: Kerry Wood wins!

Oooh, Cubbies 12, Marlins 3, series tied at one apiece, with Kerry Wood pitching the next game. Sox beat the Yanks to take a 1-0 lead in the series. That Cubs-Sox World Series is right on track right now.