Who's Going to Win the World Series?

A Cubs-Sox series would be awesome. I wish the bars here werent so obsessed about Rugby/Soccer. It would be nice to see a game on TV while having a beer in a bar environment.

Bosox in Game 5.

photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bu … %26.view=t

hmm the link doesnt seem to be accessible. its in one of my Yahoo groups. a funny Sox picture. i guess the site is pw protected. how do i get around this. i don’t have a website or server i can have this picture upload from? ideas?

can’t really blame the bars. “their” game times more closely match business hours than “ours” do. i would love to have a late hour pub to watch US football games, with commentary by someone who played the game.

i am a NLer, anybody knowof a bar that is doin’ MLB playoffs?

Having been a Mets fan in 1986 (I’ve got a videotape somewhere of Game 6, when the ball when through Bill Buckner’s legs), I admit that it would be somewhat healing to have the Bosox do it.

The Cubs success has inspired me to re-read “You Know Me, Al”, Ring Lardner’s 1914 book about a fictional small-town ball player who makes it to the major leagues. Very funny!

Hey, pass iit to me when your done. I’m back on Sci-Fi and would rather stick to something real.

Chou

Okay, I’ll give it to you next time I see you. If you want it sooner than that, you can get it at:

eldritchpress.org:8080/rl/unomeal.htm

Here’s an excerpt (The main character is Jack Keefe, a small-town ball player who makes it into the big leagues and sends letters regularly to his best friend back home, Al):

"Chicago, Illinois, August 17.

AL: Well old pal what did I tell you about what I would do to that Boston Club? And now Al I have beat every club in the league this year because yesterday was the first time I beat the Boston Club this year but now I have beat all of them and most of them severel times.

This should ought to of gave me a record of 16 wins and 0 defeats because the only games I lost was throwed away behind me but instead of that my record is 10 games win and 6 defeats and that don’t include the games I finished up and helped the other boys win which is about 6 more altogether but what do I care about my record Al? because I am not the kind of man that is always thinking about there record and playing for there record while I am satisfied if I give the club the best I got and if I win all O.K. And if I lose who’s fault is it. Not mine Al…

But all that is not what I was going to tell you Al and what I was going to tell you was about Gleason [from the coaching staff] comeing to see the baby and what he thought about him…

The baby was woke up when Gleason come in and I and him went right in the room where he was laying. Gleason takes a look at him and says Well that is a mighty fine baby and you must of boughten him. I says What do you mean? And he says I don’t believe he is your own baby because he looks humaner than most babys. And I says Why should not he look human. And he says Why should he.

Then he goes to work and picks the baby right up and I was a-scared he would drop him because even I have not never picked him up though I am his father and would be a-scared of hurting him. I says Here, don’t pick him up and he says Why not? He says Are you going to leave him on that there bed the rest of his life? I says No but you don’t know how to handle him. He says I have handled a hole lot bigger babys than him or else Callahan would not keep me.

Then he starts patting the baby’s head and I says Here, don’t do that because he has got a soft spot in his head and you might hit it. He says I thought he was your baby and I says Well he is my baby and he says Well then they can’t be no soft spot in his head. Then he lays little Al down because he seen I was in ernest and as soon as he lays him down the baby begins to cry. Then Gleason says See he don’t want me to lay him down and I says Maybe he has got a pane in his stumach and he says I would not be supprised because he just took a good look at his father.

But little Al did not act like as if he had a pane in his stumach and he kept sticking his finger in his mouth and crying. And Gleason says He acts like as if he had a toothacke. I says How could he have a toothacke when he has not got no teeth? He says That is easy. I have saw a lot of pitchers complane that there arm was sore when they did not have no arm.

Then he asked me what was the baby’s name and I told him Allen but that he was not named after my brother-in-law Allen. And Gleason says I should hope not. I should hope you would have better sense then to name him after a left hander. So you see Al he don’t like them no better then I do even if he does jolly Allen and Russell along and make them think they can pitch.

Pretty soon he says What are you going to make out of him, a ball player? I says Yes I am going to make a hitter out of him so as he can join the White Sox and then maybe they will get a couple of runs once in a while. He says If I was you I would let him pitch and then you won’t have to give him no educasion. Besides, he says, he looks now like he would divellop into a great spitter."

Damn…Pedro and the Rocket airs at 4:00 AM. Anyone got any advance info if and when the game is being re-aired during the day tomorrow?

Save me from the misery of trying to stay awake during the game…

Well, I stayed up all night and watched the nail biter…if you are planning on watching it later, go read somewhere else…I plan to give away the ending here…

Bottom of three, Pedro plays a little chin-muzak with a Yankee-head (Garcia)…I say a little, but I mean to say he played an opera of the stuff…one of those head-hunting fast balls that nearly became (or actually may have even become, as replay really was inconclusive) a foul ball as the Batter becomes the Ducker, the Dodger, the Bailer, the "OH MY FUCK THIS BALL IS COMING STRAIGHT FOR MY NOODLE I’M OUTTA HERE!!! guy and turns his back to the pitch thereby exposing his bat over his left shoulder…as he was a leftie…you can see just how inside this pitch was…I love Pedro…I love his refusal to be pushed off his plate…but this was the most inside of pitches I have ever scene…I had to agree with the announcers…stay away from the guys’ heads…bust 'em in the Noootz, sure, but between the eyes can’t be tolerated…

things get vociferous, but not yet violent…

The Ducker becomes a Baserunner and is doubled off at second on the next play and has a few words with Pedro on the way back in…

A warning is issued, anyone else gets hit, pitcher and manager are both gone…Pedro stays in.

The announcers were tripping over their sagely selves predicting just when Rog is gonna counter…is he gonna wait 'til he thinks its his last outing, or possibly leave it up to the very watchful Wells, as the camera is very ably showing us how intently Citizen Dave is watching…

Top of four, the first tentative and timid Bosox Batsman (Ramirez) steps in…he doesn’t think for a second that Rog is gonna abide the umpies warning nor does he believe the pressbox pundits predictions…he knows Rocket Rog is gonna put the “bean” back in Beantown and soon. First pitch, fastball, outside, waaaay outside…did I see the Batter flinch? Second pitch, outside, for a strike…The Flincher? Didn’t flinch but didn’t really do anything…I’ve seen batters better set in the box that were getting an intentional walk…in the Allstar Game…Third pitch is high, but over the plate…the inside of the plate…as inside as it gets…I am talking an errant protruding thread on the stitching of good ol’ Mr. Spalding’s head sails over the insidiest of edges at about 97 miles per hour. Not nearly as dangerous or as blatant as Pedro’s previous tune…could have been a strike if it was three and a half feet lower, but the Flincher didn’t like it…he starts moving for the mound swearing in what could only be Flinchese that he was gonna give Rog this otherwise useless bat he had clutched in his flinchly-like hands…off course, both benches empty, a good ol Rhubarb ensues…no fighting…lotsa grappling and grabbling, “yo mama” this and “yo mama” that…when who comes cagily, and I mean stealthily, James Bond kinda sneaky stealth…around the rhubarbers but 72 year old Yankee bench boss Don Zimmer…looking like Elmer Fudd in pinstripes, he’s muttering, “A’hm huntin Pedwoz and when yourw huntin Pedwoz you must be vewy, vewy qwiet”…

He spots his target, drifting warily at the back of the pack and like I’d suddenly switched channels to National Geographic, Elmer Zimmer lunges at a shocked Pedro…head down, charging throwing a left and half a right, Zimmer gets more than ably fended as Pedro hucks the septegenarian to the turf causing me to think my TV has now switched to the Rubgy (sic) World Cup on Star Sports and Zimmer was an offside forward being pulled outta the play during a ruck. I have seen many wonderful things in MLB in my 35 odd years as a fan, not the least of which was being at the game and sneaking right behind the plate to take pics of Nolan Ryan striking out Brad Mills to break the all time strike out record…but this scene today was by far, the most stand out memory I will ever have…this was better than Winfield’s seagull or George Brett’s too-tarry bat…(Tar and Feathers?)…this is better than the pitcher (forget his name) who non-chalantly tried to toss his smuggled emory board away…nope…The image of Dandy Don Zimmer sneaking around the pack and then charging Pedro only to be rag-dolled…it’s just the best man!

Now, the pundits of good taste were all over the incident, projecting there 20-20 hindsight as to whether Pedro should have roughhoused the old coot so…he is 72 afterall…with metal plates in his head :shock:

Me? I say ‘good on ya Pedro…refuse to be intimidated’…Pedro didn’t throw a punch, didn’t jump on him after he’d tossed him down, merely protected himself from a crazy old Yankee…

Zimmer…bahahahaha…Don Dimmer more likely…

Hey, I didn’t give away the ending…

[quote=“Toe Save”]Well, I stayed up all night and watched the nail biter…

things get vociferous, but not yet violent…

… a good ol Rhubarb ensues…no fighting…lotsa grappling and grabbling, “yo mama” this and “yo mama” that…when who comes cagily, and I mean stealthily, James Bond kinda sneaky stealth…around the rhubarbers but 72 year old Yankee bench boss Don Zimmer…looking like Elmer Fudd in pinstripes, he’s muttering, “A’hm huntin Pedwoz and when yourw huntin Pedwoz you must be vewy, vewy qwiet”…

…this was better than Winfield’s seagull or George Brett’s too-tarry bat…(Tar and Feathers?)…The image of Dandy Don Zimmer sneaking around the pack and then charging Pedro only to be rag-dolled…it’s just the best man!

Hey, I didn’t give away the ending…[/quote]

Excellent man, I will definetly catch the replay. You were no doubt tarred as well, staying up that late, and writing in such a, uh, um, prosaic way.

Chou

hee, hee, hee,

sorry folks, I could not resist posting the following quote. This was one of the bet days of my life.

Ben Walker (AP) “…Then again, don’t count on anyone in the Chicago clubhouse to celebrate too early. After all, these are the Cubs - needing only one more win to make the World Series in 1984, they blew a 2-0 lead to San Diego in the best-of-five NLCS…”

Not a total buzz kill, I am cheering for the Cubs to go all the way in '03.

Chou

Try the ESPN/StarSports site, here.

Go CUBS!

Nice link Muffie,

thanks.

Chou

Very nice…thanks Muffin…have some guanxi…

I am a sports fan, really! (My brother and I like computer golf and my father is quite a good shove ha’penny player).
But…
I really couldn’t remember whether the World Series was basketball, American football or baseball. It was four posts into this thread before it was clarified for me.
And…
I noticed that Hakkasonic forgot to include the international teams in his poll. I assume that other countries will have their own playoffs and then they’ll come together when the World Series starts for real. Right?

[quote=“joesax”]I am a sports fan, really! (My brother and I like computer golf and my father is quite a good shove ha’penny player).
But…
I really couldn’t remember whether the World Series was basketball, American football or baseball. It was four posts into this thread before it was clarified for me.
And…
I noticed that Hakkasonic forgot to include the international teams in his poll. I assume that other countries will have their own playoffs and then they’ll come together when the World Series starts for real. Right?[/quote]

No Brits allowed. Its in the rule book. Go look it up.

Chou

No, really? I’m too lazy so will have to take your word on that (plus if I tried to buy the rulebook I’d probably end up buying the ice hockey one by accident or something).

Is that because of that Boston tea party hoo-ha? What a waste of good tea, by the way.

[quote=“joesax”]

Is that because of that Boston tea party hoo-ha? What a waste of good tea, by the way.[/quote]

It’s got something to do with illegal bats, and always trying to run between the pitchers mound and home plate, even on foul balls.

Chou

That reminds me of the Texan who was being shown around England.
“What’s this?” he asked, stroking a small animal.
“It’s a dog” replied his English host.
“You call that a dog? Back home we have rats that size!” said our friend from over the pond.

“What’s that?” he asked, looking at a bigger animal.
“That’s a cow” came the answer.
“Call that a cow? Back home in Texas we have dogs that big!” said the American one.

They came to a sports field and he was shown some of the equipment.
“And this, what’s this?” he asked.
“It’s a cricket bat.”
“You have crickets THAT big?”

I didn’t forget. None of them (and don’t say the Cubans, that’s a national team, not a club team) are good enough to play. Of course, if there was a World Series of T-ball / tee-ball / tea-ball (wait, scratch the last one as that’s cricket), then it’d be another story.