Who's Staying?

Further to the discussions on Taiwan’s independence.

If push came to shove and some sort of major conflict with China looked inevitable, how many people feel that they would stay in Taiwan?

quote:
Originally posted by Mark0938: Further to the discussions on Taiwan's independence.

If push came to shove and some sort of major conflict with China looked inevitable, how many people feel that they would stay in Taiwan?

I didn’t in 1996 so why should I? My family is here. My friends are here. And I’ve seen dead Communist Chinese soldiers before. BFD.

Would I get to shoot a powerful machine gun at screaming little men? If so, count me in.

quote:
Originally posted by sandman: Would I get to shoot a powerful machine gun at screaming little men? If so, count me in.

I prefer broken Taiwan Beer bottles, thank you!

Where’s the fun in shooting at beer bottles? I’d be afraid I was turning Texan or something.

quote:
Originally posted by sandman: Where's the fun in shooting at beer bottles? I'd be afraid I was turning Texan or something.

Well, I hear tell Texans prefer to shoot at cans: MexiCANS.

BaddaBOOM! Groan!

What I am afraid of is that after living here for more than a decade and a half, as soon as I leave the fireworks will begin and I will have missed it.
Stay? Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

I will be out of here in an instant. At least if military force is being used.

Call me a chicken, but better be a chicken than be dead.

Family and friends are here. I would be a total pig if I left without them. My wife is a medical school graduate so she told me she would stay no matter what to do her part to help. I would stay.

Why do you assume that you would be killed?
I have no intention of taking a bullet for Taiwan, or catching a bomb for that matter; but I would like to see first hand how things go down. Besides, you could make more freelancing than you ever did in your whole life.

quote:
Originally posted by Rascal: I will be out of here in an instant. At least if military force is being used.

Call me a chicken, but better be a chicken than be dead.

Ah…the smell of chickenshit.

Give me a slingshot and I’ll peg the commie bastards in the ass with unripened betelnuts while they try to muddle through classical chinese characters, Tongyong and corrupt Wade-Giles spelling on the signs. They’ll be lost, frustrated, irritated and have big welts on their asses in no time. They’ll be pushing each other out of the way in their hurry to get off the island.

I don’t want my girlfriend and her family living (or dying) in a country ruled by the bloody Mainland Chinese government. I’d try and get them NZ passportss othey could run if it got to the stage where Taiwan was collapsing. But I’m also like Wolf. I’d like to stay and see what happens. (Actually ‘like’ is not a good word. I hope it never happens).

Bri

I have absolutely no problem with mainland Chinese people, but if their lousy government attacked Taiwan, I’d like to see the U.S. kick its butt. I’m serious. I’d like to see the full force of the U.S. military (without nukes) bear down on the Chinese military if they attacked Taiwan. If they believe a military answer is necessary, then let them mess with someone their own size (Where’s the music when I need it?)

Peter

Ah…the smell of chickenshit.

Oh, you are so funny … idiot!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Schwartz: I'd like to see the U.S. kick its butt. I'm serious. I'd like to see the full force of the U.S. military (without nukes) bear down on the Chinese military if they attacked Taiwan.

How about “I’d like to see Taiwan burnt to a cinder (from a safe distance.)”

quote:
Originally posted by Juba:

How about “I’d like to see Taiwan burnt to a cinder (from a safe distance.)”

How about “Better Red than dead.”?

i think any “war” would be relatively short…either dead in the water, literally when the thousands of fishing boats the chinese use to cross the strait sink under their own weight…or taiwan (read KMT, after the next prez election)would sign away the country a heartbeat after the first missile blew up tansui (a poke in former president LTH’s eye for sure)

as for the ahem, taiwanese military, successfully defending the island…right! while youre wishing, can you wish me a pony? The… ahem… ahem! (sorry ) military training these BOYS get most likely would send all those patriot missiles swerving right back into taipei…but if the taiwanese pilots can keep their F-16 and mirage fighter jets airborn without ejecting and/or crashing, then maybe…ok, i’ll stop, now I’M dreaming…

that said, the question was Would I stay? sure! imagine the job market! short timers running for home…old timers do what the locals do, buy a few extra bags of rice and raise our fees!

gotta love capitalism! would hemmingway leave??

Leave? I’m tempted to return.

Why would Taiwan be the only battlefield? Do you think the U.S. and Taiwan wouldn’t fire back?
How about the China coast “burnt to a cinder (from a safe distance.)”