Who's Staying?

maybe the taiwanese actually living IN taiwan should have a referendum about “overseas and never coming back taiwanese” about their absentee voting rights…funny how all these overseas TW groups wanna steer the boat from 1000s of miles away…

quote:
Originally posted by noshrink: now THERE was some pressure from china, and missiles to boot...i did what everyone did then, bought more rice and fell asleep watching CNN...

I learned to shoot a gun and annoyed a great deal of people with fake grenades. That was fun.

Something I would like to know… of those foreigners posting on this board with local girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands etc… how many of you support your partners political views. I have met many foreigners here that are lefties back home but once here and shacked up a Soong supporter they change their tune…

Regardless of CSB’s latest diatribe I think that he and the DPP are the best chance Taiwan hgas for realising its democratic destiny. Sure I think he was elected too early… but hey better than loopy Lien or Scary Soong…

quote:
Originally posted by 3q: Something I would like to know.... of those foreigners posting on this board with local girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands etc... how many of you support your partners political views.

He likes Soong.
I like Chen.
During the 2000 elections, I had to keep my mouth shut as to not piss him off, but so did all his Taiwanese friends who supported Chen. They certainly didn’t gloat after the votes were in, and neither did I.
He was very glum, and still blames the DPP for “fucking everything up”…
Old habits die hard and when your father was a KMT soldier.

They also die hard when a fair chunk of your family was slaughtered or imprisoned by the KMT… or you spend 10 years as a political prisoner on Green Island…

no shrink, who’s the old timer and who’s the newbee? I came to Taiwan in 87 and I stayed in Taiwan with my one year old in 96. In your post you said that you would like to witness an invasion by the PRC firsthand. I called this stupid. I didn’t say people who are staying in Taiwan with children now are stupid. You misinterpreted because you are stupid? If you stayed in Taiwan with your child not out of a sense of duty to family or something like that, but out of a sense of adventure as you and some other posters were implying earlier, you would, in addition to being stupid, be criminal. Get it now?

quote:
Originally posted by 3q: They also die hard when a fair chunk of your family was slaughtered or imprisoned by the KMT..... or you spend 10 years as a political prisoner on Green Island...

OUCH!

ok V, before you go into respiratory duress…that post of mine should have taken with a beeeg dose of sarcasm…my fault for not saying so…talk of the imminent war with china bores me to death, as it will most likely never happen, in my lifetime (touch wood)…the US rapid response in 96 made it more than clear to china’s military that going to taiwan with no visa approval is a big no no…and for the record i would never endanger the life of my son, as im sure you wouldn’t either…

kay…we cool now?