Whose burgers are closest to In-N-Out's?

Lately I’ve been craving the fresh beef, crispy onions, and all-around deliciousness of In-N-Out Burger. I know there are a fair number of decent burger places here, but they mostly go the “huge hunk of meat” route. Seems like it’s either that or dinky McDonald’s style. But what I really want is a simple menu involving medium-sized patties, generous slices of onion, french fries low on salt and oil, and ideally a shake. Any recommendations? Or is this a lost cause?

And while I’m posting here, is that hot dog place in Tonghua Night Market still there?

The two best “basic burger” places that I knew were The Burger Stop and California Grill, both now sadly closed. Unfortunately the style you want doesn’t seem to meet with much commercial success here. Forker’s and Kook’s are both fairly good, but don’t really match what you describe.

There’s a Japanese version of in-n-out here called mos burger

Mos is nothing like I&O. :loco:
Yeah, with the sad demise of Burger Stop, there’s nothing to even come close.
Unless you got lucky with some random hole-in-the-wall place that nobody knows about.

I’ve never been to In-N-Out so take this with a grain of salt, but have you tried Eat Burger near Zhishan MRT? They do basic, simple burgers that might work for you.

Cool, thanks, I’ll have to check them out next time I’m in that area.

You know, several other people have told me the same thing. Why didn’t I ever know about Burger Stop when it was open? And why did it close? It’s so sad!

+1. They do have good beef, but other than that it’s a completely different style.

How about the milkshake part of my post? The only place I know that sells good shakes is Evans Burger, and at NT$160 the price is rather steep.

Eat Burger does shakes as well.

Another burger and shakes place is Mary’s Burgers. They’re in Tianmu near the American School.

I have no idea who or what In-n-Out is, but Kooks (淡水鎮仁愛街18巷12號) do the best burgers within a 1000-mile radius, IMO. They have a good selection of toppings, so one of them is sure to meet your requirements. Unfortunately they’re in Danshui, which is a bit out of the way for most people.

It’s not a milkshake, but just across the road from Kooks is a juice bar that does really good fruit milk.

+1. They do have good beef, but other than that it’s a completely different style.

How about the milkshake part of my post? The only place I know that sells good shakes is Evans Burger, and at NT$160 the price is rather steep.
[/quote]

Well now, here we go, Mos has pretty good shakes.

I don’t want to sound like I have anything AGAINST Mos, they’re fine for what they do, but I really can’t stand that tomato/chopped onion “Mos Sauce” they put on all their burgers.
And them riceburgers give me the willies.
But they’re clean and consistent and friendly (if kind of slow, since everything is made to order), thanks no doubt to being of Nipponese provenance.
They USED to make a cheeseburger without that crappy sauce, and it tasted EXACTLY like meatloaf, which was good, except you needed like 4 of the little buggers, but I don’t think they have them anymore.

But aside from the fact that they sell hamburgers, they got nothing in common with In and Out.

In my defense I&O and Mos burgers are quite similar in concept, it’s just that the Japanese made them much different

I agree with the chief that the “american” style cheeseburgers Mos had about year ago for a limited time were delicious and much better than the ones covered with mos sauce. They have another limited american? type flavor burger now, only it’s covered in a super salty nasty tasting gravy that’s much worse than regular mos sauce

[quote=“buzzkill1”]In my defense I&O and Mos burgers are quite similar in concept, it’s just that the Japanese made them much different

I agree with the chief that the “American” style cheeseburgers Mos had about year ago for a limited time were delicious and much better than the ones covered with mos sauce. They have another limited American? type flavor burger now, only it’s covered in a super salty nasty tasting gravy that’s much worse than regular mos sauce[/quote]

I know Dr McCoy violently disagrees with me on this, but I think their hot dogs are pretty good too, if a little Plain Jane.

I didn’t know MOS had shakes! Very cool. I like their hot dogs as well, the chief.

Just had lunch for the first time at Juicy Bun, a burger joint next to Zheng Da. Sure enough, the enormous patty was cooked medium and left red juice all over my plate. I got a cheeseburger, fries, and two glasses of Coke for NT$170, not a bad deal at all! If you don’t mind weird burger flavors (like bacon and pineapple or “chicken and beef fighting”), you might want to check the place out, although it’ll probably be tough to get a seat.

[quote=“haokaiyang”]I didn’t know MOS had shakes! Very cool. I like their hot dogs as well, the chief.

[/quote]

Neither did I, gotta try. I like their burgers, and the salads and “kele bing” potato fritter are pretty good too. Their iced tea rules.

Cool, that will give me something to look forward to the next time I ride my bike up to Danshui.

If you haven’t heard of In-N-Out, you really need to visit California. Hell, I bet people have planned trips there solely because they wanted to eat at In-N-Out!

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“haokaiyang”]I didn’t know MOS had shakes! Very cool. I like their hot dogs as well, the chief.

[/quote]

Neither did I, gotta try. I like their burgers, and the salads and “kele bing” potato fritter are pretty good too. Their iced tea rules.[/quote]
I remember years ago MOS had coffee shake. But sadly it no longer does. The same with their hot dog. It used to come with this spicy mustard in a tiny packet, but now you just get the ordinary mustard. The problem with their burgers is that one just doesn’t fill me up, and getting two is too much.

For the best croquettes (kele bing), you’ve gotta try the ones from the Linsen N Rd Japanese restaurants. :lick:

[quote=“haokaiyang”]

If you haven’t heard of In-N-Out, you really need to visit California. Hell, I bet people have planned trips there solely because they wanted to eat at In-N-Out![/quote]

Ha! It’s one of the best places for fast food, but come on now you’re talking like you’ve been in Taiwan too long :smiley: If I fly to California I can think of a few other places I would start with, namely a great mexican restaurant! :pray: Then i would fill the fridge full of my favorite pale ale, get a giant bag of decent charcoal for my giant grill,…and then…ohhh…i need to make a trip home :lick:

1 Like

Every time my old man says “in-n-out” he does this :howyoudoin: .

In-N-Out burgers will be at Dazhi Osteria by Angie for 1 day tomorrow, June 13.

5 Likes

Cool … anyone have guesses for how busy this will be? If I read the link right, it’s from 11-3, limited supplies.

2 Likes

^Are you telling me thanks for the heads up, this company is going to be at Dazhi Osteria by Angie for 1 day tomorrow, June 13 on that day making the exact burgers?

A random tuesday?

It’s not even a burger place. WTF.

Okay I’ll be there for the “Limited supply from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, while stocks last.”

Angie’s the wrong company chain to manage that for sure. I wonder if in and out management knows that?