Whose burgers are closest to In-N-Out's?

going tmr, went actually today by mistake, read the date bad haha.

1 Like

In-N-Out have done 1-day pop-up stores twice in Taipei before, in 2014 and 2018.

According to Facebook comments, it’s something to do with keeping their trademark valid in Taiwan/Asia. Seems believable?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t know if they will be successful.

Of course they’ll have the initial rush with long lines but then they’ll die off because there’s so many other burger places that are cheaper and prime locations and people always think about CP which is most important thing in Taiwan not quality not taste not anything else only CP.

Pairing with Angie’s is absolutely the wrong thing to do because their focus is mid to upper clientele with more money to spend.

Angies have no clue about mid level priced hamburgers hell they can’t even hardly manage their own businesses.

Yeah but well what the hell do I know

I’ve never been to In-N-Out, but are their burgers good enough to trek all the way over to Dazhi if one doesn’t have any sentimental attachment to the chain and isn’t a Taiwanese person wanting to try an “exciting” limited-time-only foreign restaurant, or are they just relatively decent for fast food options in the U.S.?

I don’t see anything particularly remarkable from the pictures online - they just look like typical fast food burgers to me, and I’ve had not-bad-to-pretty-good burgers in Taiwan and elsewhere in Asia. :man_shrugging:

At least it’s a Tuesday lunchtime rather than a weekend, when it’d probably be much busier…

1 Like

I’ve been to one of the Taiwanese In-N-Out “clones” - forgot the name, but it’s not in this thread and was said to be authentic. Food was wholly unremarkable; not really much different to McDonalds.

I wouldn’t bother going.

2 Likes

This time, the burgers will be provided at the Italian restaurant Osteria by Angie, for a one-day-only “flash mob” event.

2 Likes

It looks like they’ve already hit Korea and Japan earlier this month for pop-ups. I don’t envy the potential wait time.

3 Likes

It’s hard to imagine an In-and-Out pop-up.

Got to have the right equipment, supplies, foodstuffs (is that a word?), technique to make it right.

But long lines is a constant at their burger places especially the drive-thru.

That destination is close to the riverside, and the temperatures are currently mild. Biking there, enjoying a burger, and biking back does hold some appeal. If I could count on a minimal line and easy access with a bicycle, I’d likely go.

But it’ll probably be raining anyway, and I’m guessing I’d have to go into the restaurant, which would mean trying to figure out where to put my bike, so I probably won’t try this.

I also don’t understand how a “flash mob” (that’s surely not the right word?!) pop-up works.

2 Likes

Pop-up stores typically last something like 1 week to 3 months.

This “flash-mob” store is only opening for 4 hours. On a weekday. Inside an existing Italian restaurant.

As previously mentioned, this event is likely a legal obligation by the holders of the In-N-Out franchise in Asia.

2 Likes

Would it be a flash mob if no one turned up?

1 Like

Hence my mild confusion: the two terms have little to do with one another. But I suppose if a store can have different going-out-of-business sales for a decade, restaurants can have a flash-pop mob-up or whatever it is.

If I’m reading Osteria’s facebook page correctly, it looks like they’re not offering their usual menu that day, which makes sense.

1 Like

This event is happening now. Seen photos and videos on Facebook, there are lines around the block.

Looks like the crowd is 99% Taiwanese influencers, who want that precious selfie / TikTok video of them biting into a “real American” burger.

3 Likes

My brother-in-law went to check the situation at 11am, when it officially opened, the tickets for the line were already sold out. Fucking ridiculous, ppl lining up at 8am for that. What a sad life they must be living to line up more than 3 hrs for a burger.

3 Likes

Ha. I was biking near the area around noon and toyed with the idea of having a look. Glad I didn’t bother.

1 Like

Sold out less than one hour …

4 Likes

Didn’t think they’d have protein style in Taiwan as well. No milkshake though.

Increased, they served the less tradition In-N-Out hat and t-shirt…

Edit: video of the line:

It’s even less of a flash mob when people need to show up 1.5-6 hours before the flash lol. Maybe that’s what “flash mob” means in Taiwan?

However, eager fans started lining up outside the restaurant as early as 5 a.m. on Tuesday morning, with the line soon extending down the block

1 Like