Why America Hasn't Responded to the attack

Ever wonder the reason why the US hasn’t done anything regarding the drone strike killing 3 US soldiers?

1 Like

Why is he obligated to respond in less than a day? Might need time to gather intel, examine options, make sure troops are protected from possible reprisals, etc. I’d give it a week and then criticize.

I do think Biden is too soft on national security (he was the only Obama admin figure against the 2011 Bin Laden raid… plus he botched the disastrous Afghan pullout), but I think it’s too early to flame his response (or lack of response) for this particular instance.

2 Likes

If Trump didn’t… Mainstream media would go ape shit

I thought they went ape shit because he DID (see Soleimani strike… which I actually agreed with). I’d give Biden another week or so, and then criticize. After 9/11, Bush didn’t authorize the first strikes against Afghanistan until October 7th (there’s an eerie coincidence).

3 Likes

I moved this to temp and may move back. The title is fine and the first paragraph asks a reasonable question.

The rest not at all and invites race baiting and turns another thread into acrimonious race based discussion where there is no basis for such.

4 Likes

Let’s see! Also interesting spot on October 7th being the date

The Biden administration has said that it’s reserving the time and the place for retaliation. I think that’s smart.

3 Likes

I would be surprised if the military didn’t already have a long list of possible targets.

He could have picked one the next day, something they didn’t think we knew about and vaporized it.

I preferred Trump’s way of not talking about military strikes in advance. It’s stupid to do so.

I’d guess that Biden thinks war is terrible way to interrupt business as usual.

2 Likes

What response would you suggest?

One navy ship per soldier

I’ve reworded parts of it. Let me know what wording or if anything else I need to change

1 Like

Which navy ships?

And what are they gonna do, the Macarena?

Iran’s. Just go straight there and say “hey we aren’t buying into the narrative that you don’t have control of the terrorists you are funding.”

It will also make them think twice about the Houthis. Iran has a few frigates that could be worth sinking.

I tend to agree that Iran is a bit of a paper tiger, especially with their own population constantly on the edge of revolting against them in recent years.

I hope Biden acts decisively. But if he doesn’t I don’t think it’ll mean he’s racist, just feckless in general. If race is the main calculus, he’s probably likely to act stronger than if it was three white guys because the Dems are terrified of losing the AA vote.

Worked before to put them in their place and stop mucking about in the region.

Operation Praying Mantis was the 18 April 1988 attack by the United States on Iranian naval targets in the Persian Gulf in retaliation for the mining of a U.S. warship four days earlier.

On 14 April, the American guided missile frigate USS Samuel B. Roberts struck a mine while transiting international waters as part of Operation Earnest Will, the 1987–88 effort to protect reflagged Kuwaiti oil tankers from Iranian attacks during the Iran-Iraq War. The explosion pierced the hull and broke the keel of the Roberts, which nearly sank but was saved by its crew with no loss of life.

After the serial numbers of mines recovered in the area were found to match those of mines seized on an Iranian barge the previous September, U.S. military officials planned a retaliatory operation against Iranian targets. The U.S. attack began on the morning of 18 April, and ultimately destroyed, damaged, or sank two Iranian oil platforms, three warships, several armed boats, and two fighter jets. U.S. losses were two U.S. Marine aviators who died when their helicopter crashed into the Gulf.

The attack pressured Iran to agree to a ceasefire with Iraq later that summer, ending the eight-year Iran-Iraq War.[3]

Later, Iran sued the United States, claiming that the attacks had breached the countries’ 1955 Treaty of Amity. On 6 November 2003, the International Court of Justice dismissed the claim but ruled that Operation Praying Mantis and the previous October’s Operation Nimble Archer “cannot be justified as measures necessary to protect the essential security interests of the United States of America.”[4]

Praying Mantis was the largest of the U.S. Navy’s five major surface engagements since World War II.[a] It saw the U.S. Navy’s first exchange of anti-ship missiles with opposing ships, and its only sinking of a major surface combatant since World War II.

It would certainly speed up Iran’s nuclear plans. They’re going to happen anyway, I suppose.

Everything below this paragraph can go.

Ever wonder the reason why the US hasn’t done anything regarding the drone strike killing 3 US soldiers?

Its a sound topic but for the OP making race the issue is a mistake, besides @BiggusDickus has quoted the post in full down thread so we wont lose that input, people can decide if that is where the focus of the discussion lies.

Done mate

1 Like

Thank you! Back in IP.