Why are electronics in Taiwan so expensive?

Local brands are more cheaper. For example i buy lot of TECO products and they costs me sometimes half the price of something like Samsung or philips

This is a Sansui TV. I’m not sure if these are even sold in the US or UK.

For the more popular brands: Sony, Samsung, LG, TCL (more budget), Philips… the price differences are quite huge

So? Does that mean it’s no good? Mine is a 65 inch Philips I got for around the same price, in fact a bit cheaper.

Did I say it’s not good?

While comparing prices, you should compare apples to apples. For that sort of comparison, electronics in Taiwan are quite expensive, much more than a lot of western countries. It’s quite a shock to a lot of people that move here, including me.

1 Like

Well you could always try importing one from overseas.

ASUS sells possibly the most expensive and advanced monitors out there ffs.

2 Likes

OLED tvs are super expensive, same for hifi speakers.

I think this is the taiwan-island-premium-factor for all foreign brands. It’s not just for electronics, also for cars (as poster above said), clothing, jewelry, alcohol, …

Maybe one factor is that locals are willing to pay more for the prestige?

Same for airline tickets.
Why does is cost 50% more to fly from Taiwan. To Europe (roundtrip), compared to starting In Europe? Thats why I’m buying my yearly flight home starting in Europe. (Basically flying to Taiwan and staying there until next year).

One example I always mention: is the brand under armour.
In Taiwan it is a desirable brand for the locals with it’s own stores.
In Europe you get the exact same stuff 50% cheaper in any sports store.

Another is japanese gin: I really like the Roku gin and thought it was very special and brought one bottle on my Trip home with me. Only to find out, that mt local European supermarket also was selling it, and it was cheaper than in Taiwan!

2 Likes

one luxury good is extremely good value in Taiwan…anybody know what it is? :slight_smile:

Fancy tea?

Can’t think of anything else.

Whiskey

1 Like

Ah yeh. Minor win, I’d rather have more affordable 77" TVs.

2 Likes

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DSABHX-A900GODLU
PChome is legit, right? This seems like a good value for money.

Is that really true? I can’t take advantage of the discount, but if it’s really THAT much cheaper, there must be a reason. Airlines operate on razor thin margin. Is it cheaper to fly to the EU from another location, say Hong Kong compared to from Taiwan?

He said it’s cheaper to fly within Europe than to fly from Taiwan to Europe. I think it needs no explanation why it’s more expensive

No, he made it sound like it’s 50% cheaper to fly from Berlin to Taipei and back, than it is to fly from Taipei to Berlin and back.

It makes no sense, and I know airlines operate from such a razor thin margin that it makes no sense to make that big of a difference on the price of a flight for the same distance.

I tried re-reading the post and I can’t see anything he wrote that indicates that it meant flying within Europe (and to be honest with you, almost no one does this because train is far cheaper).

If it is really true, then maybe buy a flight from Taipei to Hong Kong, then another one from HK to the EU.

You’re right, guess my reading comprehension is low today

Taiwan prices are normal if you buy way in advance. Then is difficult to find a good price. I remember checking from other countries nearby and it was way cheaper. Maybe they have more options?

I know airline ticket cost is such a complex thing, that airline have teams of full time workers whose job is just to figure that out.

If flights to and from Taiwan is expensive, there’s a reason. The reason may even be the Taiwan government.

That’s not “honest” - it’s wrong. Of course people fly within Europe.

Maybe within Germany (which seems to often be what you’re referring to when you say “Europe”) train travel is more common, but that doesn’t mean that almost everyone across the entirety of Europe is taking the train when they need to travel to other countries. Many of those train trips take ages, and not everyone is a broke backpacker or student or whatever (not to mention that the train isn’t necessarily cheaper).

2 Likes