Why are electronics in Taiwan so expensive?

What’s the Meta Quest 3 VR headset going for in Taiwan?

It’s a lot more expensive than in the US.
https://www.rakuten.com.tw/shop/royalplayer/product/MXCGZ2U2L/

Couple hundred USD-plus more. Wicked . . .

You can buy directly from Meta. Shipping is free…
https://www.meta.com/tw/en/quest/quest-3/

Still more expensive than buying in the US, but not as outrageous.

For comparison sake. 50" Sampo TV, made in Taiwan, 14k and change. Last week.

Granted I don’t care too much about TVs that much so I don’t know the specs and whatnot. Big, pretty, cheap and works fantastic. Taiwanese brand. Happy enough.

1 Like

TV prices always come and go. 70 inch TV used to cost over 10,000 USD. Now they’re about 20,000 NTD if that.

I don’t know why everyone frets over the price of some TV screen. Just wait a few months and they get cheaper, they always do. And TV’s don’t become unusable with time like computers do, can just change out the computer and keep the screen, well at least until the backlight gives out, or if the pixels get burned in if OLED screens…

I’m usually flying from vienna.

So vienna->taipei->vienna is in my experience cheaper than taipei->vienna->taipei.

Would be interesting if this is still the case. Maybe somebody wants to check the china airlines website and compare the prices and post the results here.

And if that somebody had more time on their hands could they also check the same for other major European cities and various other airlines?

Do you check prices regularly? Flights fluctuate daily in prices. Airlines post new flights for cheaper at different times and dates. Not saying you’re wrong, but it’s hard to make an apple to apples comparison when it comes to flight prices since they change so often

There’s so many factors, and that airlines make something like 4 dollars in profit per passenger on average, there are people who’s whole job is deciding how much to charge tickets.

If it’s 50% more expensive, there’s a good reason for it.

Sometimes they might actually lose money on a flight but make up for it by hauling valuable, and highly paid cargo, or the plane just needs to be there for whatever reason.

It’s why hidden city ticketing is a thing. Oh and airlines hate it. You try this the airline may ban you from flying with them.

just a random date, i rest my case :wink:

1 Like

I can see from the picture that if you choose 2+ stops, the price starts to even out.

1 Like

Not sure what you’re trying to show, other than that particular airline is more expensive for those flights on those days…

Probably you misunderstood.
This was merely me trying to be helpful. I’m not trying to (and I don’t need to) prove anything.

When airlines make 4 bucks per passenger, and with all sorts of variability in operating cost (fuel being the biggest one) it’s really hard to say why one flight is more expensive one way than the other. Also flights to different airports vary hugely, as in very much. This is because of airport fees and such. Some budget airline flies to obscure airport for this reason.

It’s also why they keep charging out the ass over every little extras. They don’t make much from you so if they could make even an extra 10 bucks off you, they’ve tripled their profit.

Also you should be aware that most flights to Europe only allow ONE piece of luggage. You can pay about 30 bucks more for a second piece however (that was 2011, I don’t know about now).

Also I’ve found flights to their hub city tends to be cheaper, by at least 100 euros as far as I can see. So instead of flying to Vienna, you could find out what the hub airport of say Lufthansa is, and fly there, and you’ll save some money. The train fare (if booked far in advanced) will be much cheaper than the savings, so you are still saving money. I used to fly KLM to Amsterdam Schiphol for this reason, because the train to Berlin was 30 euros, and that extra leg to Berlin is like 200 euros more. Just that the train ride is like 7 hours.