Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

Just popped in to say that all three of these supposedly secret things are huge issues with my students. For their speech class they had to come up with an important issue to discuss about Taiwan, and all three of the above topics have been chosen… with the water shortage and declining birth rate issues actually chosen by multiple students. No prompting from me. I didn’t tell them to choose from any pre-selected topics. It seems like these are topical issues they’re aware about from the news or social media and already concerned about. And I highly doubt international news agencies are engaged in a cover-up of major problems in Taiwan. Most are in bed with China. The only cover-up that some are engaged in, such as the BBC, is about Taiwan itself!

4 Likes

Except for “tech” stories :wink:

2 Likes

About a year ago, Taiwanese passengers were given an expedited line at Narita airport.
台湾民众在日本受到礼遇,羽田机场走特别通道 - YouTube

Continuing the discussion from Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?:

‘Foreign press’ is largely dominated by US/western media who control the global narrative. Their agenda is to malign China in any way possible while promoting virtues of ‘democratic’ Taiwan.

The downside of such propaganda is complacency, if not arrogance, that TW is prosperous and free, hence so much better than conditions across the strait, which couldnt furthest from the truth when considering the dangers faced by people daily due to corruption, incompetence, and negligence.

China is currently maligning the hell out of themselves pretty much on a daily basis. It needs no help with that!

2 Likes

Yes, many Taiwanese are indeed complacent because they are more prosperous and freer than those across the Straits.
Yep- the people I meet daily are threatened by corruption, incompetence and negligence. Unlike those living under the CCP, noted for its incorruptibility, competence, and warm-hearted concern for its people. Why, they’re so concerned they follow them wherever they go, and protect them from being exposed to the evils of the Internet.

2 Likes

You missed a comma.

:grin:

Hahaha your delusions are so intense it’s funny now.

1 Like

Ha ha ha. .
I went from hating it to loving it.
I can’t share with you my baptism by fire now but maybe in the future.
You need 20 years, marrying into a hillbilly family and having quite few children…
PS… Things need to be worked on but, handle it quietly with your necessary organizations. The Taiwan people have big hearts. But don’t put down local traditions without participating and seeing thier significance. They don’t like that
Examine the chaotic rules for its value and don’t be so quick to throw out practices that don’t hurt anyone.
Anyway… Taiwan is better than most places.
Namewee sees it.
The English Subtitles of the most important point of this song is covered up with Chinese text
If someone can find the clean version, please repost it.
Edit: This version was clean with no text. Downloading…
Two… in the old time, I was complainer in Chief under a different name before the APARC, universal work permits and even long term visas. There was a time when a new antiforeigner rule of the week seemed to appear. Your former legal editor saved my bacon for free and many others in administrative appeals countless times. Ok… three or four but they were big.

2 Likes

Taiwan is in the news again.

the news looks like a good news. Is it to support OP’s claim?

This is international news?

I wonder whether the current situation in Taiwan is covered up by the western press to protect Taiwan from PRC.

1 Like

Lol what? If anything the coverage has been overly negative.

Just one example that I shared before.

2 Likes

That article was poor but then again a lot of BBC news articles are rubbish as they try to ‘straddle the line’ between a democratic country and a totalitarian state as if they were being objective .

Hence insulting our President here by referring to her as Ms Tsai.

2 Likes

From the BBC

Mr Biden, visiting the UK for the G7 summit, will be the 12th serving US president to meet Her Majesty.

Lady Gaga, who campaigned for Mr Biden

Mr Biden , a quick word for the BBC .” “The BBC ? I’m Irish!

US President-elect Joe Biden has received his first dose of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine. Mr Biden joins a growing number of political leaders getting the jab, including Vice-President Mike Pence and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Ms Merkel said a deal would not be possible without Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union,

Ms Merkel said she wanted to maintain “good, friendly relations” with Britain.

Labour’s Deputy leader, Angela Rayner, noted Ms Stone had previously reprimanded Mr Johnson

Mr Johnson’s comments - first reported in the Daily Mail

Questions over how Mr Johnson funded a redecoration of his Downing Street flat

Relax, it’s in the BBC style guide. The first time they refer to somebody, they use their title. The first reference in that article to Ms. Tsai:

wrote Taiwan’s President, Tsai Ing-wen .

6 Likes

To me it seemed that they wanted to throw a sop to the Chinese the way they mixed the references …But you make a good point.

And what are the reactions of expats? Are they just writing about great night markets in Taiwan without talking nothing about level 3 lives?

My first thought when seeing @Brianjones remark was that the BBC called her Ms. instead of Dr.

I haven’t looked to see if Merkel and Johnson are PhD holders. If so, then I guess they don’t use the Dr. title.