Why are they digging up Danshui Boardwalk?

hmmm … I think it were that easy, someone would be marketing it by now.

Completely predictable result of concreting everything over. With enough green space between the concrete, this sort of thing wouldn’t happen. Soil absorbs the water and then plants pump it back into the sky (or, depending on the geology, help it on its way down to underground aquifers).

Weather events tend to be less extreme, too, if you have sufficient biological activity. Most of what’s ascribed to “climate change” is actually just the result of pouring excessive areas of concrete.

1 Like

I lived in Danshui when they built that big grassy area. Pretty sure it was about 7-8 years ago.

Fire ants!

Just opened up Google Earth for the first time in ages to check View / Historical Imagery (can you do that in Google Maps? I couldn’t find a way).

Anyway, 2006 nothing was yet done. Next picture is a darker one from July 2009: it looks like they’re putting in what became the new harbor. Next picture is February 2012, and it’s the current set up with the big grassy area.

So, huh. Time. It’s fast.

1 Like

That type of budget management policy is the mother of all waste. It should be abolished.

There is one worse: every project, every year, especially recurring ones, is open for bid, each year the bid goes lower and lower than the previous one. So, you cannot keep sources as they cannot go on without profit at such levels and the government chooses the lowest bid. As the bid keeps shrinking every year, it means worse and worse service/goods as time goes by.

1 Like

You see them doing all the drains around.
I can predict the section of roads they resurface as well every year.

There is a chronic lack of parking in danshui in the weekends, so would make sense to turn that unused patch to a parking lot

1 Like

:astonished:

This is for you and BelgianPie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFB-d-8_bvY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpFcfRn2-Y

2 Likes

Well I know for a fact that some companies work together on bidding and they share bids throughout the year.

Ha, boardwalk parking, just as in Antwerp, parking is at the banks of the river ‘Schelde’, 5 minutes walk to the historic center.

1 Like

Perhaps we need a “why Belgians are getting fat” thread :wink:

It might be the only way to survive, even benefit, from such a deranged and illogical policy.

Don’t insult the Brueghelians!:yum:

Yes, it would be super convenient. While they are at it, they should do something about the roads leading in to Danshui. The road by the river is packed in the weekends.

Perhaps something similar to the freeway to the airport, multiple levels with the top two levels each going in one direction.

I am sure with better roads and parking far more people would visit Danshui.

Why would that be a good thing? You just said there are too many already.

I would like one of those separated bus lanes instead.

At current capacity yes, but if they turn the useless patch of grass to a parking lot(or perhaps even better, a multistory parking facility) there is no more lack of space to park cars.