Why are you here? why not go home?

I concur with Kiwi (and most other the other posters on this thread).

Teaching English gives one the opportunity to positively influence the lives of many people (whether you take that opportunity or not is up to you). Corporate jobs are about enriching yourself and the owners of your company, the “glories” of which are material. If that’s what you’re into, then that’s fine, but there’s no need to to criticise another profession.

Its much more difficult to be respectful to people you don’t know and probably will never meet…

teggs

I guess it is easy to understand why :
Only those who wish to come back ask this question. They wish to come back usually because they can’t see any reasons to stay, so they ask us why we stay here.

Guess what?
I prefer working in my kitchen for 16 hours a day than teaching Taiwanese spoiled brads for 2 houres.]

That’s why i’m here and that’s why i don’t leave.

And … that’s the reason why I probably gonna die in Taiwan. :wink:

jdsmith - give yourself a pat on the back for a funny joke.

[quote=“Kiwi”]Chunli, I’m sure you are well intentioned and all that, and in real life you are probably quite nice, but in this particular thread you have managed to come across as a bit of an idiot.

The comments on English teaching, “quick bucks for not doing much”, and the glories of “corporate life” seemed silly to me.

Maybe you feel I am picking on you unfairly, but you were the one who came into this community and asked these people for their opinions. You got some useful answers (along with the jokes). People have tried to be helpful. Why not be nicer?[/quote]

Because to me, teaching english is quick bucks. And it’s easy. I had several hundred students and spent a lot of time editing curriculum and helping them past their tests and I didn’t find it hard. That’s all there is to it. I don’t mean anything further from that comment, or anything less. If people want to think of it as negative and as an insult to them because I find teaching english extremely easy and they think it’s difficult, they can if they want. I’m not supposed to do anything more about it.

And I personally give corporate life a 50/50. I don’t love it, I don’t hate it, and in fact, I think thinking english is a lot more fun and influencial. Corporate life just happens to help me reach my goal more than teaching english. And that’s all. If people want to read into it as me praising corporate life and making fun of teaching english, that’s fine too. Their choice.

I say people seem to have a chip on their shoulders because they do. If you want to take someone’s words on the net and take it as a personal insult, well, that’s up to you. jdsmith can write whatever he wants, it fine with me. The cyberworld is the cyberworld. And it ends when you turn off the computer. That’s why, if people want to take my comments as a personal insult to them, well, okay.

As for the people who chose to write reasons for why they stayed in Taiwan, cool. Interesting opinions from the people who chose to gave it. Also, Kiwi, it’s interesting that some would think that I’m begging for their opinions on the net. Like if they don’t tell me what they think the world will end. If you want to voice your opinion, okay. Maybe it’ll be something different or unique. If not, that’s fine too.

I doubt anyone really depends on forum opinions from strangers to make serious decisions. For example, lasik operations. You might take peoples opinions from the net on what they think with a grain of salt, but for real advice you go to friends and talk to doctors who specialize in it. I mean, people can write on the net, “I think Taiwanese people are idiots and should all go to hell!” And then what? What am I supposed to do, go change their opinion?

Milton - you lived in the middle of the states? Yeah, I would stay in Asia too. I can’t stand to be in landlocked places. And why didn’t I capitalize the W’s? Because I didn’t have time since I was on my way out and I didn’t care to. Wasn’t something that I felt I should spend time going back and editing. As for the corporate job being worth it, well, it was okay. I mean, I taught english so I’d have more time to read and do whatever I wanted. And then I got a great offer so I decided to try it out. You have to admit that trying new things means experience you wouldn’t have gained otherwise. Good and bad sides for all jobs.

Chun Li wrote:
Wow. So everyone thinks I should go back to the states, huh? I guess that would be a good move. I just don’t know if I would be completely happy since compared to Asia, the US is so boring. But comfortable.

Hmm…

Chun Li, you might need some attitude change here, words come out your words a bit too soon. I lived in Taiwan till I was 15 years old, since then I have been in the States (but still goes home at least every other year, I am not even permanent residence of the United States) for 7 years, I think I get used to the States now. The other thing is my girl friend is american (first generation immigrant from ukraine, been in the States like 12 years), so I guess the States would be the only place for both of us to compromise anyway.

The speed limits aren’t enforced here…well rarely. I get 2 speeding tickets a year in Canada. Here I’ve had one in 7 years. And there are no “points” on your licenses. So you can collect as many tickets as you want. Without fear of having you license revoked.
No need to flame me…as I’m most likely exaggerating anyway.

sometimes the speed limit signs seem so out of whack I don’t take them seriously. Like I’ve been driving around some of the rural areas around here doing maybe 40-50, clear vis, no buildings or hazards and a sign pops out with “15” on it. I’m like WTF, they must be joking?!
Even in some carparks or similar I see “5”.
Seriously, if I obeyed these signs it would be 10 seconds before I’d have some black benz up my ass tooting and flashing threatening to shunt me off the road.