Why do British people refer Arab Muslims, Indians and Pakistanis as “Asian”

Was watching a video and just now an article about “Asians” committing child sex crime. But they were calling the Pakistanis (who are committing most of it) Asians. The video calls the Muslim migrants as Asians. It surprised me because they were saying Asians are taking over the community and doing all these stuff. But then it’s arab Muslims and Pakistanis. The Muslim people were like we Asians are here to stay…

What’s up with this?

In Canada we call Indians / they call themselves brown.

When I was in Australia this girl slapped me in the face for using that word to describe them.

“Yeah, me and my brown buddies wer—- slap

Why do Yankees refer themselves as “Americans”?

They call them Asians because they’re from Asia.

6 Likes

My wife (Taiwanese) gets pissed when Indians/Pakistanis ect… get labeled as Asian in euroland.

Do they call Russians Asians?

No, because they’re white. It’s a racist thing, apparently.

I was thinking maybe it’s a way to avoid being racist and say Muslims Or Pakistanis

2 Likes

I’ve always assumed it’s just because South Asians are the most common Asian group in Britain. In Canada I think we tend to say “Asian” for East Asian, and “South Asian” for the subcontinent.

I’m not sure what term British people use for East Asia. East Asian? “Oriental”, once in a while I’m sure, but that’s not exactly a popular term these days.

But I don’t think they use Asian for Arabs, do they?

EDIT: Pakistani is a very poor choice, because distinguishing the Pakistanis from the Indians is tough. A bit like how in my white suburb of Vancouver we idiotically used to refer to all the Koreans and Japanese as Chinese.

1 Like

Yeah, things have changed a lot in England. Used to call them Pakis, wogs, etc.

That would be retarded. Firstly, Russia was traditionally considered part of Europe by Europeans. Specifically the bits where all the power was located.
Secondly, the Indian subcontinent is located in Asia, and Britain has more involvement there then in any other part of Asia. Also, more immigrants from these parts relatively speaking, whereas the US more immigrants came from East Asia.

They do in the video.

Do they not have a word to distinguish east/south East Asians and others?

When they says let’s eat Asian food do they go get a kebob.

Why would it be retarded. Lots of Russians look very Asian.

physiographically, it’s all one landmass. Eurasia.

Seems just as retarded to call Pakistanis Asians.

I believe no one in Europe before the migrant crisis has ever referred to middle easterners or indians / pakistani as “Asians”, apart from cases where someone wanted to be specific about the continent.

But when “”“refugees”"" all come from the same countries 5000km away, and rape gangs are constantly composed by people from the same two or three countries, it becomes #problematic to report the news in a way that isn’t too blatant, so they try to play with words.

No it would be retarded to call them Asians to avoid saying Pakistani.

This is bollocks. They have been called British Asian for at least 30 years.

I’m not so sure on Arabs, but Indians and pakistanis are Asian with no my doubt.

No one says let’s eat Asian food. How nonspecific do you want to be?

Lots of people. “I’m feeling something Asian, maybe Korean today”

…well then you’ve just said you want Korean food.