Why do British people refer Arab Muslims, Indians and Pakistanis as “Asian”

But I’m feeling Asian food.

I say this and many people say this when we have to choose between western and Asian food. When I pick between Asian and western food on my long haul flights I don’t expect kebobs when I say Asian.

1 Like

Kebob?

You wouldn’t say a lot of Asian food shares a similar flavor profile?

I don’t really understand the problem. You have to contextualise it. If I am on a Taiwanese airline and say Asian that’s probably what I’m thinking. The US has the exact same problem in reverse.

British people would either say East/South East Asia or refer to the actual country if necessary.

Yeah, aka kebaaaabbi

So a Pakistani standing next to a Japanese on the street. British people say look at those two Asians on the street.

What about Arabs? Persians? They seem to refer to Arab muslims as Asians as well.

I wouldn’t say “let’s eat European food” even though they share a similar flavour profile. However, the example provided of “something Asian” and then specifying, I could work with.

If you said that I know you wouldn’t be talking about sushi or Korean bbq. You’d probably be talking about food that they serve In Europe. Would I be correct?

Sure, but I’d say Western not European if it was actually that general

But I do say “Let’s eat Western” or “Let’s have something Eastern.” (Oh, now you’ve just said that, never mind.) Hmm … now that I think about it, I may use “Asian” to refer to South Asia for food.

Surely someone British can chip in? OK, I definitely remember my dearly departed great auntie using the term “Paki”, but that’s absolutely out these days. And was never really in.

Ok, I’m still not understanding if British people call Japanese, Thai, Koreans, Asians as well. And do they call Arabs Asians.

They just call everyone from the Middle East, Indian/Pakistani, E/S/SE asians as Asians?

Asian/Arab looking man and East Asian looking man.

Why does anyone say anything? Incidentally never heard someone call an Arab Pakistani or Indian; they look different.

Checkmate! (to whom though, wtf …)

1 Like

So British people specify East Asians, south East Asians but not Pakistani and Indians?

So are Arabs Asians as well to british people.

When I think western food, I think Anglo countries.
When I think euro food, I think idk sausages and heavy cream?

Of course they are still Asian, the point is solely about the stereotypical idea of an Asian person in Britain if you just say ‘Asian person’.

That is due to a) prevalence and b) official language (British Asian on census refers to from the Indian subcontinent). No Arab is not strictly included but if someone can’t tell the difference they may say Arab is Asian.

I must remember that next time I have a steak and kidney pie, or English burnt cream.

2 Likes

So you see an Arab in the UK and can’t tell which Arab country he is from, you say that Asian man?

“What’s your traditional food?”
“Well, we burn cream…”

I mean…lol…

No I’d say that Arabic man.