Why do cars park backwards in Taiwan?

Do you know why they require this?

1 Like

Right, for every reasoning to park back or front in, theres an equal number of reasons not to.

1 Like

Probably because murkins canā€™t back into spaces too good

Funny when I left Taiwan in the last century everyone parked head first

When did this change

Right, I remember as a kid people parked head first as well.

I have heard ridiculous claims that if you park tail first it would be harder for car thieves to steal the carā€¦

I always thought it was just a flex. Like, look at me, I know my vehicle dimensions well enough to back into this spot! Or look at me, I have one of those fancy cars with the camera on the back that makes it easy for me to park in reverse! But itā€™s interesting that itā€™s actually a required skill.

1 Like

Well, it looks like it works. We get people being run over by construction trucks while on crossing lines on a green light, motorbikes coming out of nowhere, ahmas and ahbeis riding/driving while they can barely walk and see more than 2 meters away, traffic lights being used as a mere suggestion, several roads being used for illegal racingā€¦BUTā€¦when was the last time you heard of a deadly accident happening while parking a car?? Not that often, eh!

4 Likes

In case of emergency, it is the safest method advised, in order to leave premises as fast as possible safely.

Also easier to hook car and take out by force I guess. :laughing:

Is that an official reason? In an emergency hundreds of vehicles are expected to exit a car park quickly?

For a while I was needing jump starts for a dying car. Back in parking at least makes access to the engine easier. But nowadays people donā€™t even use their own car batteries to help. Everyone now carries a portable charger.

I just heard a public information broadcast from the MOTC on ICRT about the fines for motorcyclists who fail to do that weird stop then turn when turning left maneuver. They justified it by saying itā€™s a rule in Japan too.

I bet the same is true with parking backwards. They do it for no other reason than the Japanese do it.

4 Likes

I suspect thatā€™s the real reason too. Most locals canā€™t give me a logical answer other than ā€œthats the ruleā€

Honestly the only safe way for motorcyclists to left turn with cars is that each bike stays in the lane as if they are a car. If bikes are just gonna all make the left turn while weaving between cars to rush ahead and cut in front of left turning cars, then they might as well just do the two step left turn.

Donā€™t think so.

Try this test. Drive by a US factory parking lot and tell me how they park there. Or any parking lot used by manual workers (UPS eg) or lower rung white collar workers (call centers). Odds are very good that more than half will park with nose facing out.

Itā€™s to facilitate launch when the quitting alarm sounds, you know. And theyā€™re very good at it.

I donā€™t disagree that it is safer. The question is how much safer? No country I know of in the west has this law. Presumably the number of accidents when motorcyclists turn left isnā€™t high enough to justify such a law in those countries.

Laws can always be made to make things safer. Motorcycles could be banned and motorcycle fatalities would then be zero.

Because no western nation would allow their motorcyclists to weave between lanes to get ahead of cars in front of them and cut them off to beat them to the turn.

In the US most motorcycles have footprints pretty much the same size as a car anyway. Then they love to ride together in a group, in formation. They also stay in the frigging lane.

Itā€™s easier to back in.

ā€˜Zipper formationā€™, same lane but left, right.

Yeah, I can live with that. Just as long as they stay in the lane. Thereā€™s no traffic law in Taiwan that allows what motorcyclists do everyday as if itā€™s the norm.

I usually back in. However, if I need to put stuff in my boot it would be illogical to do so.

Itā€™s pretty sad. Laws arenā€™t being enforced, so we need another law to get around this problem.