Why do cars park backwards in Taiwan?

Hmmmm…perhaps this explains the evolution of the quasi gang signaling 1 hand counting measures that we all respect so dearly here (not sarcasm, that style saves so much time!). Makes us big noses look like kindergarten kids from the slow class using 2 hands to count 6 through 9. So it was all due to driving with one hand, and counting how many points are required to park the car (understandably, 6 to 9 points haha). It all makes sense now, a real life lemonaide from lemons story if there ever was one!

Taiwan is VERY strict on drunk driving now. Like, way more than many western countries. Foreigners can get deported, at least if their brown shades are dark enough. Huge fines, jail time etc. It went from zero fucks given to nearing martial law in no time. This is how we know, genetically speaking (!), we still share the same heritage as china. In typical Han fashion, knee jerk and dont address the real root of the problem. Blind folded monke logic saves the day/election, HURRAH!

[quote=“Explant, post:122, topic:184959”]

I didn’t expected being misunderstood, but it seems I wasn’t clear in my question…

I meant to ask how could someone count 5 points for a maneuver that requires only two movements?

Yes, we know and agree :slight_smile: That was my crappy attempt at being extremely facetious.

Agreed 1 plus 1 equals 2 stops. Its funny cause it takes many people so many more ins and outs due to not being able to judge the distances around them nor the capability or turning the steering wheel more lol for this reason, i often park at the far side of the parking lot as walking is always faster than waiting for someone to park it seems…and less risk of them redesigning my sidepanels.

1 Like

it should require 2 movements but sometimes requires 3-5 from what I see in my parking garage.

We went to a mall in downtown Hsinchu where the garage has these old style parking spots with metal spaces just a couple inches wider than a compact car. It takes forever to park cause everyone backs in and it takes them like 3 minutes to do it. We parked head in in 10 seconds because we got a spot parallel to the lane

But backing in is definitely easier if you’re turning, cause you’re rotating the back of the car that’s further away instead of the front. I think that’s all it is. And the whole Taiwan lemmings thing, everyone likes to do what everyone else is doing.

Far-east Mega Mall

1 Like

Yes, the one with Din Tai Fung! Wow that was fun parking. We usually go to Big City, the only thing bothers me about that place is the circular ramps leading up from the parking garage are extremely tight radius, I don’t know how people with big cars do it (we have a Ford Focus.)

1 Like

When the Sogo in front of the train station was still opened, that was truly a parking hell.

I think it’s just easier to fit in a tight spot if you clearly see the distance from the other cars/objects in the mirrors, also if you pivot around the back end you can do a sharper 90deg turn.

It’s still amazing though that 99% of people here park backwards, but when it comes to scooters they are 99% forward. I remember my co-worker asked me once why I park my scooter backwards and I asked him if it’s illegal? he said no… but NOBODY does it…

So I guess that’s the reason, everyone parks backwards so we park backwards. It’s amazing how they want to follow the group and are afraid to stand out from the crowd…

4 Likes

I thought it’s because people want to manually move their scooters as little as possible, so most of them ride their scooters into the tiny parking spaces? They used to have powered reverse on older gogoros, maybe those would be perfect for parking backwards.

1 Like

I park my scooter backwards so it’s easier to get out of they get crunched together tightly.

I only park forwards if I’m the last spot on the left.

3 Likes

But then you have to push it out backwards from a parking space anyway, but yeah that might be the case.
I was just surprised since my co-worker’s answer was that “NOBODY does like that” no other logical explanation and back then I’ve used to park my scooter “reverse” only because I’ve directly ridden from sidewalk and down the curb straight into parking space, so it ended up in reverse.
However, after his question and explanation, for me it was like “OK… so then I will be purposely parking scooter in reverse to be THE ONLY ONE to do it!!” :wink:

1 Like

And not many cops who care to give out fines. Do they even have monthly quotas here?

The traffic police give out fines.

Police in Taiwan will not police traffic that unless they are traffic police.

1 Like

That’s fine (no pun intended) but why don’t I ever see traffic police pulling vehicles over and giving them fines? They should be everywhere.

Credit where credit is due, people are pretty good at parking here.

During my painfully long commute to work this morning I witnessed two shunts. Tailgating in heavy rain.

1 Like

Yes they do have quotas. try talking your way out of a ticket near years end :sweat_smile:

It’s one of those things they know that can make their quota insanely fast on an corner of any town. Why rush it?

2 Likes

ANNUAL quotas??? Yeah that’s helpful :laughing:

They keep their lights on to warn people to act good for 30 seconds and to make sure people get inthe habit of not paying attention and pulling over for emergency vehicles. Their strategy is successful.

1 Like

Very successful indeed!