Why do cars park backwards in Taiwan?

Thats exactly why they SHOULD teach people how to back up safely here. Untold amounts of accidents are caused due to idiots not having enough brain cells to look before moving. Regardless of vehicle type or direction.

1 Like

I like seeing people back in more and more now. Finally seeing more logic wih drivers!

I back in car, motorcycle and scooter every time. The scooter is basically essential. By taking off the bottom two-point stand and parking in reverse, itā€™s always easy to get out no matter how many scooters cram together.

Cars park right-wards in Taiwan and many large cramped cities where it just works better. Especially when small tight spaces.

Backing into parking space, where there is no traffic behind, instead of later backing out of a parking space into traffic.

Really makes more sense for adjusting position pulling into very tight parking space. And then, no worry about backing out into traffic.

Common all over Asia, and many places in Europe. USA, not so much.

2 Likes

Iā€™d never seen this until moving to Taiwan. Ironically it was going over the line coming out of a parking spot forward that almost caused me to fail the driverā€™s license test.

Thatā€™s freakinā€™ bananas. (Sorry. Friday.)

1 Like

Backing into parking spots is logical and correct. Of course certain circumstances mean certain alterations. Seldom do we see the taiwanese being able to show some westerners how to drive properly :slight_smile:

Backing in basically makes the trunk useless, I have to wait all the time for people to park in the middle of the parking lot lane get out open their trunk to unload then get back in their car to back in. Makes zero sense.

When you go to Costco or get home from supermarket how are you going to get your stuff out without inconveniencing everyone for 5 mins? Front in, access the trunk easily, esp here where parking spaces are so tight you canā€™t be putting groceries in the back seat and get them out w/o hitting the cars next to you when opening the car door.

Waste everyones time, and the piss poor 5 point turns to back in. Takes them 2 mins to back in takes me 3 seconds to front in. I donā€™t buy the argument about School children having seen the way people drive hereā€¦ Seen too many cars almost hit children during regular driving but all of the sudden people are 100% careful backing in? Noā€¦

Basically just bad driving. Low skill, poor judgement, no sense of safety, no sense of distance and timing, no planning their moves, making last second rash choices, not looking, thinking before turning, not giving 2 fu*ks about pedestrians. The worst are the Cement Trucks with road rage which is nearly all of them.

Also crazy bus drivers (less of a problem in Taipei), crazy taxi drivers, and lately, the most crazy of them all, crazy Uber eats and Foodpanda cyclists.

I wonder what the stats are on this. I bet they donā€™t look good. They drive fast and look often at their phones. Not a good combination.

1 Like

unless you drive one of theseā€¦
:wink:

4 Likes

Umm, you just walk the 2.5 meters to the back and get stuff out. Backing in doesnt inconvenience everyone, being a douche bag parking in the road does. Dont be lazy? There are certainly times when pulling in nise first makes sense. But for safety, nanely when parking.on roads, backing in is the logical option because you can see traffic while in the road and can back in fast (shouldnt take more than 10 seconds). Shitty drivers are to blame, not logical parking measures, if it obstructs traffic.

Backing out into the roadway is 10x more dangerous than pullout forwards. Thats just common sense :slight_smile: how a person backs in is another story. And to be fair, i see people taking 5 minutes to drive into a spot going forwardsā€¦so it isnt the safety thats the problem, its terrible spacial awareness and driving skill. I like pointing this out to people that say asians are so much better at math than the west. I just bring up geometry, the room goes silent lol.

2 Likes

Thats why you see their scooters mangled all the time. Its basic probability. Drive for shit = higher accident rates.

1 Like

Our apt complex here in the Bay Area actually states we can not back into our Space but more snd more people do because itā€™s easier to park backwards into a tight space due to the turning of the front wheels

The wife doesnā€™t because she doesnā€™t know how but thatā€™s another story

P.s she drives great just never learned to park backwards but she should learn in case she ever needs to

1 Like

I love how you describe why your wife is a shitty driver, then immediately compliment her driving skill. Spoken like a true husband :slight_smile:

Even with the anonymity of internet forums, the fear is realā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s something to do with ghosts. Or itā€™s just a regional habit that people have adopted. One or tā€™other.

5 point turns?
How do you count that?

On your fingers?

1 Like

Since when was Taiwan concerned with Accident rates? Or drunk driving for that matter.

1 Like