Why do cars park backwards in Taiwan?

They have them. I’ve seen them. Obviously they’re ignored.

What other reasons could there be?

Damn sorry, half my post didnt appear.

The shotty driving is likely cultural.

Parking lots, malls and condos are more or less strata type entities. They have bylaws within their building. It is not the average joe making these rules its likely a hired safety guy for the building. I was just pointing out that comparing how people drive on the road and security telling you how to park doesnt really correlate. At least not strongly. 2 unique reasons for 2 unique problems.

Buildings with weird bylaws are commin globally. Not so much a culture thing so much as a just a common occurance. At least here they dont get picky on car age, appearance etc like in many snobby areas in the west.

It’s legal in the UK and the normal practice in London and surrounds including on motorways. If there is any kind of gap expect it to be shortly filled by a motorcycle or bicycle. I believe that it is legal in some US states and specifically prohibited in others. Look up Lane Splitting.

Its not allowed in taiwan. Every urinal at every rest stop on the freeways here have cartoons and driving instructions. Quite cute.

Taiwan has fairly sane driving laws for the moat part, just not many sane drivers.

1 Like

They should replace the cute cartoons with some shocking pics of actual accidents like they do in Malaysia. Help people see that they’re actually just meatbags and shitty driving has consequences.

1 Like

(I duno how you do those nested quotes)

Some industrial estates I’ve worked in require reverse parking. This is so when you are leaving, you have better visibility to other vehicles (such as forklifts in the case here) or pedestrians in particular. Pedestrians walking alongside cars parked nose-in are automatically in their blind spot. People reversing out of parking spaces have not seen pedestrians and pinned them, even easier now that basically everyone has automatics or double-clutch DSG systems for their four mile commute.

Thought it was weird in the beginning however reverse into car parking spots by default now. Far, far easier and safer to reverse into a spot than to reverse out of one. Feels weird parking in Costco these days.

1 Like

Not me. I’m usually ecstatic that I have in front of me a normal sized parking space that I can drive into very quickly and with no chance of anyone swooping in before me (this has never happened but I see videos of it so I’m always a bit paranoid!).

1 Like

Lane splitting is legal in calif

And…it has resulted in numerous rider deaths on our freeways
Probably one a week or more just in the Bay Area
Hear it on the radio often

Lane splitting is generally considered safer in california, especially with the congestion - unsafe drivers / riders are unsafe, with or without lane splitting. The thought is that you’re less likely to have an inattentive driver hit you from behind than someone changing lanes into you (since it’s so congested anyway, and lane splitting is recommended to happen between the 1 and 2 lanes, where less lane changes happens). It also relieves congestion.
(I rode for 20 yrs in california)

It’s also pretty common and legal in many european countries (called filtering rather than lane splitting there).

No doubt you are a careful rider since you are still alive

Some of the riders I see I’m not surprised if they end up dead

Scares the hell out of me because they come up so FAST with very narrow margins. Seen the aftermath of at least 1 accident from lane splitting.

1 Like

I rode motorcycles in CA for many years, I always thought lane splitting should be made illegal for motorcyclists, I wouldn’t have minded the inconvenience of not lane splitting. In CA cars don’t expect motorcycles because theyre still rare. Also they ride fast, each time I lane split I can see the drivers are surprised to see me. A couple friends of mine crashed by being cut off by a driver during a lane split.

2 Likes

Long thread, didn’t read it all.
I got warned parking at a school.
The rule is that you need to back in so you can see the kids when pulling out.
Makes sense so I’m sold

3 Likes

Cause its just logical. Surprised so many dont do it, nearly as much as when someone here backs in on the first try haha.

It’s not a Taiwan ting!

Backing into a parking space is normal in large cities. It’s a rule or at least recommended in New York for over 10 years. Other large crowded cities globally parking lots are similar.

It’s smart mechanically, for convenience, and for safety.

The front wheels of a car, or grocery cart are more maneuverable.

No, it’s not common in cities, places where they have huge asphalt parking lots where people zoom in and stop. And not needed.

But in areas where the norm is small tight crowded unsafe parking areas are common, it is common and sensible.

Although… with backup cameras and automatic cross-traffic braking, these days I have an easier time leaving a leaving space if I park front-end first. When I am backwards, I don’t have a clear view around the damn SUVs parked on either side till I am a third of the way out. The wide-angle backup camera gives me a good view right off the bat. A couple years ago, the automatic cross-traffic brake saved me from a car that was speeding through the lot.

In Taiwan?!

The minute I stop my car anywhere, even if just turning around or 3-point turn, it seems like a scooter, bike, pedestrian, trash person, ransom person talking on their phone, whatever, is immediately behind me.

I think Taiwan must teach to DON”T BACK UP anywhere.

And it makes sense now.

No, still in the US. Should have clarified.