Why do cars park backwards in Taiwan?

If not for towing perhaps they dont want people loading/unloading blocking the road.

Im sure there is a reason if it is building rules.

Quick escape during fire etc.

I think it was popularized cause Japan did it and Taiwanese want to be like the Japanese so adopted it over time and didnā€™t question why. I donā€™t buy the argument about practical reasons, safety reason. If that were the case they wouldnā€™t park in front of bus stops or drive into on coming traffic or check before merging into on coming traffic or practice offensive driving vs defensive

3 Likes

The average citizen canā€™t turn around in their seat to see through the back window? Thereā€™s so much tint on the windows, being in a darkened parkade makes it difficult? Backing out of parking spots practice is on the same day as U-turn practice and most people skip that day?

3 Likes

Me too!

Because itā€™s easier, less damage to neighbors cars!

but if you question it people will get pissed off at you for complaining or say ā€˜you think too muchā€™
so its better off to just follow it blindly!:wink:

2 Likes

That all may very well be true. But it is not the average driver that is making parking lot rules. Likely if its just in parking garages/basements it is fire or emergency related rules.

Question everything.

The truth is out thereā€¦

Why? Because when I leave my parking spot, maybe some jerk has parked their car (or their scooter with the wheel locked) in an absurdly inconvenient spot, which makes backing out when I canā€™t see oncoming traffic even more difficult. Itā€™s way easier to just back in, and drive straight out.
Also, drivers here seem more willing to wait for you to park before blazing past you, than they are to stop and wait while you leave (and drive out in front of them!).

2 Likes

I always assumed that was a bowling reference, as the bar top at their original location is made out a salvaged bowling lane. Pretty decent pizza. OK, getting hungryā€¦

This is true and is one reason why I usually reverse into a parking spot. However, there are occasions when it is more logical for me to park front first.

Making it compulsory to reverse in is the issue here, I think.

2 Likes

Hmm, not sure, donā€™t think iā€™ve actually eaten there, but a coworker bought a coupla pies from there and I had a piece. Was ok.

You got it, @BiggusDickus.
Let the driver decide how they want to park. Why does it have to be mandatory?
Maybe itā€™s something culture related. Feels like Taiwanese donā€™t know what to do unless they are told.

1 Like

Safety reasons
There is a high chance of accident when you back out of a parking lot compared to when you drive out of a parking lot.
(Backing into a parking lot does not have higher accident rate)
I believe this because the turning ratio is more forward at the driver side so when you back out there is a higher chance of misjudging the turning and hit the car next to you

This is actually common in many Asian countries. I was in Singapore and 95% of all cars are parked this way, and the drivers told me parking backwards into the lot is part of their driving test :sweat_smile:
In the army, all the vehicles have to park backwards mandatory to reduce accident rates

1 Like

Yep. Thatā€™s what they believe.

Conversely, my carā€™s been hit twice by a neighbour reversing into a parking space next to mine. He is such an idiot.

2 Likes

But thats confusing different things. The crappy driving here could probably be pinned to cultural reasons.

I was always told to park the car facing the direction you want to go, keep the key in the ignition, the engine running and the doors unlocked. I donā€™t know why but my friends are always in a hurry to leave. :red_car::dash: ā€¦ ā€¦:police_car:

1 Like

They only do that in the city.
Cross the river to Zhonghe/Yonghe, the friggin cops will hold oncoming traffic so the bikes can get through first.

1 Like

Try Taoyuan mate. Anything goes.

Yeah, but itā€™s legal in the counties is my point, they got none of those little round blue signs

1 Like