Why do so many Texas mommies murder their children?

Another “one person’s reply” to the Texas-Mexican hatred issue, since Texas is a big place, and it’s obviously not practical to survey Texans about whether they hate Mexicans.

I’m white, from Texas, but have native Mexicans (all U.S. citizens) in my family, via marriage. I haven’t heard any reports of outright racist behavoir towards them. They have nice houses, live in the suburbs, send their kids to run of the mill, whitebread schools, and generally blend in with the communities they live in, whether white, hispanic or other.

Yeah, I’ve heard plenty stories about such and such people acting racist towards Mexicans, and to be sure there is an element of that still there, but those stories are mostly conspicuous because they aren’t the norm, and the majority normally shows the appropriate outrage towards such behavoir.

Would I be safe in assuming this thread is no longer about why parents kill their infants but is now about whether there will be a race war in Texas soon?

I had something to say about the former, and nothing to say about the latter other than to show a picture. The picture below is satellite photo of the city in California where I was a prosecutor (Deputy District Attorney). The northern half of the city is called Calexico. That is where I worked. The southern half of the city is called Mexicali.

Running through the city seems to be some kind of a line. North of the line it looks like rich farm county; nicely laid out fields, plenty of water for a low desert area, millions of tons of food grown there a year. South of the line, the bottom half of the city, looks kind of dry and shitty, although the bulk of the city is below the line, seemingly no water, no farming, kind of no nothing.

The line is the international border between California and Mexico. Welcome to the American Southwest.

I hope you can still add some insights into baby murders. It would be good to get an informed opinion in this thread rather than “Texas is dry and hot and people are going crazy killing their babies.” Blah.

A picture tells a thousand words they say, and it’s certainly true here. That’s amazing.

HG

Socially backward is my answer.That seems to be supported by the figures too, the red/blue state division. A combination of Macho Culture, huge burdens on Women placed by extreme christianity, lack of community mental health resources all contribute. I’m sure there was probalby some Husband-Wife or Boyfriend-Wife abuse too.

This is from someone who is an ex Republican. I left becuase the party became extreme and Christian and, yes, backward. I think women should be able to choose and Gay people should be able to marry. I just think Government should stay out of as much of people’s lives as possible. I see now that the Republicans don’t really belive that, what they belive in is a Christian state, and I disagree with that.

They ain’t all in Texas and ain’t all women. :frowning:

[quote]
A man apparently drowned his two young daughters in a bathtub and then hanged himself from the rafters of the attic in his home in Montclair, N.J., the Montclair police said yesterday.

The man, identified as Thomas Reilly, 46, had separated from his wife, Teresa, several months ago and was renting a house in Montclair, said Thomas P. Giblin, a friend of the family who is also a state assemblyman. He identified the girls as Megan, 6, and Kelly, 5.

The couple had bought a house in neighboring Verona before they separated and Mr. Reilly moved to Montclair.[/quote]
nytimes.com/2007/06/22/nyregion/22drown.html?
ex=1340164800&en=f1d05f0c5573d8dd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

[quote=“the Violent Femmes”]I had me a wife, I had me some daughters.
I tried so hard, I never knew still waters.
Nothing to eat and nothing to drink.
Nothing for a man to do but sit around and think.
Nothing for a man to do but sit around and think.

Well, Im a thinkin and thinkin, till theres nothin I aint thunk.
Breathing in the stink, till finally I stunk.
It was at that time, I swear I lost my mind.
I started making plans to kill my own kind.
I started making plans to kill my own kind.

Come little daughter, I said to the youngest one,
Put your coat on, well have some fun.
Well go out to mountains, the one to explore.
Her face then lit up, I was standing by the door.
Her face then lit up, I was standing by the door.

Come little daughter, I will carry the lanterns.
Well go out tonight, well go to the caverns.
Well go out tonight, well go to the caves.
Kiss your mother goodnight and remember that God saves.
Kiss your mother goodnight and remember that God saves.

A led her to a hole, a deep black well.
I said make a wish, make sure and not tell and
Close youre eyes dear, and count to seven.
You know your papa loves you, good children go to heaven.
You know your papa loves you, good children go to heaven.

I gave her a push, I gave her a shove.
I pushed with all my might, I pushed with all my love.
I through my child into a bottomless pit.
She was screaming as she fell, but I never heard her hit.
She was screaming as she fell, but I never heard her hit.

Gather round boys to this tale that I tell.
You wanna know how to take a short trip to hell?
Its guarenteed to get your own place in hell.
Just take your lovely daughter and push her in the well.
Take your lovely daughter and throw her in the well.

Dont speak to me of lovers, with a broken heart.
You wanna know what can really tear you apart?
Im going out to the barn, will I never stop in pain?
Im going out to the barn, to hang myself in shame.[/quote]

Country Death Song. Love it! But tell me – do they actually have barns and wells and stuff in whitebread middle-class Milwaukee :wink:

we had a very unfortunate happening here just a few days ago in Berkeley, CAlifornia

cbs5.com/local/local_story_172150422.html

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f … HPD713.DTL