Why does HBO edit their movies here?

I have noticed that HBO edits violence out of movies here. I was watching JAWS a few weeks ago and noticed that it was missing some of the blood. I also watched Friday the 13th and turnded it off before it was over because they kept editing away right before the throat slashing or axe in the face happened. Why do that :fume: ? I thought HBO prided itself in showing movies that were unedited. And what exactly is the point of showing a movie like Friday the 13th, if you are going to cut it up. The whole reason people watch those movies is for the blood and gore :ponder: .

Try watching Scarface.

What time were you watching the movies? Morning,afternoon? Most times I flick over to HBO there is some violent action film on … and that’s usually in the morning. To be honest, I download most films and TV series nowadays as they escape the censorship :wink:

They’re edited because the news stations pay the regulators a premium so that they can keep a monopoly on gore.

:roflmao:

:roflmao:[/quote]
Double :roflmao: . And Next magazine probably doesn’t want to desensitize people to sensationalism.

Have you seen their Monty Python cuts?

“The Mea of L”

Totally pathetic!

Tried watching Raging Bull on “MGM channel” recently with every curse simply blanked out. Couldn’t watch for too long :slight_smile:

I have that movie. It must have sounded like morse code, if they used beeps.

They just put silence over them. Made for large gaps at some points :slight_smile:

True Blood on HBO is also heavily edited. I wonder if it is to do with Taiwan or other Asian nations where it is shown, such as Singapore or Malaysia. Singapore strikes me as the kind of place where you’d expect movies to heavily edited.

I’ve given up trying to watch anything on HBO, even though i have the HD channel. Too much “hey, they cut there” ruins my viewing pleasure.

That’s right. HBO Asia has its headquarters in Singapore, with resulting cuts.

Indeed. The final shoot-out is hilarious. Tony’s sister walks in the room. Tony gets shot. The end.

[quote=“WaltzingMatilda”]True Blood on HBO is also heavily edited. I wonder if it is to do with Taiwan or other Asian nations where it is shown, such as Singapore or Malaysia. Singapore strikes me as the kind of place where you’d expect movies to heavily edited.

I’ve given up trying to watch anything on HBO, even though I have the HD channel. Too much “hey, they cut there” ruins my viewing pleasure.[/quote]
Actually, I think Singapore and some of the local Muslim nations are more of the problem than Taiwan. But on point I would like to make is why show movies that have to be edited in the first place? Why not just show movies that won’t have to be cut?

That doesn’t leave much :slight_smile:

Indeed. The final shoot-out is hilarious. Tony’s sister walks in the room. Tony gets shot. The end.[/quote]
Not even “Say hello to my little friend”? That’d be a travesty!

Indeed. The final shoot-out is hilarious. Tony’s sister walks in the room. Tony gets shot. The end.[/quote]
Not even “Say hello to my little friend”? That’d be a travesty![/quote]

I’m pretty sure that the whole scene was cut. It was a while ago that I watched it, though.

I remember thinking the exact same thing awhile ago and was actually gonna make a post about it but got lazy.

There have been several movies which I noticed were unnecessarily edited on HBO. The two most glaring examples I can think of off the top of my head are “Boiler Room” and “Knocked Up”.

For those of you that have seen “Boiler Room”, there is a quick little insignificant fight scene in the bar. They cut out the entire fight. I was so baffled, it wasn’t even like a violent fight.

In “Knocked Up”, there is a scene where that lady is arguing with the black bouncer and then the guy starts talking shit. Well they cut out that scene. One of the funniest scenes in the movie.

Oh yea and “The Hangover” was heavily edited also but I’m not 100% sure if that was HBO or not.

I remember thinking the exact same thing awhile ago and was actually gonna make a post about it but got lazy.

There have been several movies which I noticed were unnecessarily edited on HBO. The two most glaring examples I can think of off the top of my head are “Boiler Room” and “Knocked Up”.

For those of you that have seen “Boiler Room”, there is a quick little insignificant fight scene in the bar. They cut out the entire fight. I was so baffled, it wasn’t even like a violent fight.

In “Knocked Up”, there is a scene where that lady is arguing with black bouncer and then the guy starts talking shit. Well they cut out that scene. One of the funniest scenes in the movie.

Oh yea and “The Hangover” was heavily edited also but I’m not 100% sure if that was HBO or not.[/quote]
And then they put a disclamer before everything on there saying "The following contains mature subject matter. Viewer discretion is advised. HBO doesn’t need to edit now, because they warned us.

The only reason I watched HBO and Skinimax back home was for the gratuitous nudity.