Why does Taiwan beer taste so good?

As seen in the picture I’m talking about the green bottled stuff (as for the drinking a big bottle then driving… of course not! one isn’t enough!! :wink: )

Well…at least we can agree that we like beer.
I like fishing also.

[quote=“SerpentChina”]Seriously, it’s bloody awesome! :bravo:

[/quote]

Why does Taiwan beer taste so good??

:roflmao: … seriously?

Because you’re in China and have no access to better beer … :popcorn:

Blasphemers…all of you.

Taiwan Beer has just one purpose in life…to be served and drunk in mass quantities with Taiwan style seafood and/or BBQ. While there are many beers that are far superior, (especially if you get a skunked bottle), nothing beats Tai Pi for the above.

• Trappist ales are too rich,
  • German style pils are too bitter
  • US micro-brews are usually too hot (alcoholic).
  • Japanese brews are too bland.
  • China beers are too weak (2% alcohol).

While great beers, they just don’t work.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
I like fishing also.

[/quote]

Well, I must confess, you had me fooled.

[quote=“Elegua”]Blasphemers…all of you.

Taiwan Beer has just one purpose in life…to be served and drunk in mass quantities with Taiwan style seafood and/or BBQ. While there are many beers that are far superior, (especially if you get a skunked bottle), nothing beats Tai Pi for the above.

• Trappist ales are too rich,
  • German style pils are too bitter
  • US micro-brews are usually too hot (alcoholic).
  • Japanese brews are too bland.
  • China beers are too weak (2% alcohol).

While great beers, they just don’t work.[/quote]

I think you’ve nailed it, when it’s 30C outside, humidity at 96% and the scooters whizzing by there’s nothing better than a case of Taiwan beer and some 100ntd kuai chao dishes.

Yeah. Miserly, stingy foreigners quaffing it outside 7-11s because they save 4NT$. Getting the authentic Taiwan experience. Puke.

Tonight, I’m drinking Asahi, because you can’t say Asahi without saying ass.

Drinking Taiwan beer is like saying “ass” with an ass in your mouth.

We used to refer to super dry as poison beer. Surely, Kirin ichiban, or, for the more discerning palate, Yebisu beer.

Family Mart has an all malt beer by Asahi. It’s not bad. I like Taiwan beer on tap. At a nice pijiu wu. We went to the pijiu wu on Friday night, but I drank Heineken because you can’t say Heineken without saying heiny.

When I was there in june I started buying the japanese branded beer made in china cuz the price was right and it was cool to try something new. Wasnt bad ,those beers. And lo and behold I actually forgot to buy any TW beer. Shame on me. I always did like the big brown bottle original TW peejoe

Yet another of one of Singabore’s claims to fame is the worlds most expensive Taiwan Beer.

Went to Hsin Yeh, the same Hsin Yeh as Taiwan, for some overpriced, but high quality, Taiwanese food. Out of a sense of nostalgia, I ordered a green bottle Taiwan beer and the two small glasses you only get in Taiwan.

The cost…18SGD!!! About what,…420TWD? I think you could get a case, or two, for that in Taiwan.

:smiley: @ u

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]It’s o.k. with a meal, perhaps. Or ice cold in a bottle on a hot day. Yet I’ve always maintained that the highly limited selection of real beers on the island always prejudice the view of those that actually quaff it on a regular basis.

Just think of a venue where one actually has a real series of choices of product. Such places boggle the mind of those of us that have been here too long.
bcliquorstores.com/product-c … 26page%3D0

bcliquorstores.com/product/692103

:lick:
[i]"Fight the horde, sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming!"[/i][/quote]

I prefer this beer from Quebec....brilliant.

[unibroue.com/products/ephemere-pomme.cfm](http://www.unibroue.com/products/ephemere-pomme.cfm)

[img]http://www.bookcellarinc.com/image/beer_bottom.jpg[/img]

If free maybe but i am not going to pay for it. It doesn’t taste that good at all.

All things are relative… TW Beer tastes like utter swill to me, that is unless it’s following a Mine! beer… We played a show that had the great misfortune of being sponsored by Mine! beer, never have the words “free beer” been so utterly bereft of the joy normally associated with them as that day, Mine! takes chemical laden over carbonated blandness of TW beer to a hideous new low…

I like the flavour in the Monteiths beer range, but in Taiwan you’re stuck what you’ve got, and the best of the best seem to be boring, bland beers. Those “best of the best” would be Taiwan Green, Tsingdao and Asahi, which all seem about the same drinkability to me. They’re not great, but they’re comparable to run of the mill tap beers back home.

Then you’ve got the bottom of the rung. Taiwan brown tastes ok but gives you a hell of a hangover the next day. Budweiser and Heinekin are just foul, they have horrible aftertastes that coat the mouth so that I want to reach for my toothbrush after the first swallow - although, it is worth noting that Heineken tastes better with tabasco sauce, and is almost drinkable. And then there’s the Taiwan cans, which I don’t drink as I hate the taste of aluminIum.

Speaking of beer. It’s Friday. I’ll see ya’ll down at the bar. It’s been a long week and I have a date with a bottle of burbon - I’ll need some cheap beer to go with that.

Yep, the countdown is underway.
I think I’ll drink Kirin tonight. Local store sells 500ml cans for just NT$40 - a good price for a decent beer with 5.5% alcohol.
It’s certainly worthwhile finding a source of cheap booze in your neigbourhood. Remember fellow drinkers; convenience store chains like 7-11 are for suckers.