Why does the clock on my computer keep re-setting itself?

I just errased the HD on my computer and compleatly reloaded everything. That wasn’t really necessary, but I couldn’t figure out how to fix a problem and my computer is new and doesn’t have much on it, so it was kind of the easier thing for me to do to solve my prob. Twice now my computer has reset itself to the incorrect time after being shut down and restarted. What’s up with this? Any ideas or advice?

Motherboard battery. I just had to replace mine.

About once a day my clock goes back to 12am. I don’t know what to do.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]About once a day my clock goes back to 12am. I don’t know what to do.[/quote]Go to bed earlier.

I thought it was your battery, too, but you said your computer is new. You should change the time on your BIOS. Hit F2 when you’re starting up the computer, and set the time there.

Check the other clocks around you - watches, video, kitchen clock, etc. If they’re all doing it, then you’re probably stuck in some kind of ‘Groundhog Day’ space-time continuum.

Not sure how to fix that though. Irishstu or Fluffy would be the best ones to ask.

Erm … it’s supposed to. We call that midnight.

Erm … it’s supposed to. We call that midnight.[/quote]
I know that, but it always starts over again.

Anyway, I changed from the 24 hour clock to the 12 hour clock. That way I will live twice as long.

Does it reset to the same time after each reset?

Wrong time zone in Wiiindows … or something

[quote=“twocs”]I thought it was your battery, too, but you said your computer is new. You should change the time on your BIOS. Hit F2 when you’re starting up the computer, and set the time there.[/quote]Or “delete”, it varies from motherboard to motherboard, on mine it’s Del.

Is it resetting to Jan 1 1970 (or something similar) ? Or just not progressing while turned off ? or is it random ? Does it happen every time ? Or what ?

Mine does it too. I’ve set it to Beijing Time.

Maybe that’s the problem - the Beijing buggers can set the time as they feel free.

Wow 2 pages of concern for what time my computer thinks it is. Thanks guys!

Once it set the time back one hour, the latest time it set the time back two hours. Minutes were fine and exactly in sink with my cell phone,and the date is so far still fine. My computer is only about 8 months old, so I hope it’s not the battery.

Yep–Groundhog Day was my first reaction! But no, everything else is keeping the correct time.

Damn … looks like something more tricky, then …

[quote=“housecat”]Wow 2 pages of concern for what time my computer thinks it is. Thanks guys!

Once it set the time back one hour, the latest time it set the time back two hours. Minutes were fine and exactly in sink with my cell phone,and the date is so far still fine. My computer is only about 8 months old, so I hope it’s not the battery.

Yep–Groundhog Day was my first reaction! But no, everything else is keeping the correct time.[/quote]

Sounds like a time zone issue to me. Also check if the summer savings option is checked or not (then check if it should be where you live).

It’s not the battery if only the hours are changing.

Check the time zone thingy.

P.S. You didn’t mention if you’re using Windows XP or some Mac OS or Linux.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“housecat”]Wow 2 pages of concern for what time my computer thinks it is. Thanks guys!

Yep–Groundhog Day was my first reaction! But no, everything else is keeping the correct time.[/quote]

Sounds like a time zone issue to me. Also check if the summer savings option is checked or not (then check if it should be where you live).

It’s not the battery if only the hours are changing.

Check the time zone thingy.

P.S. You didn’t mention if you’re using Windows XP or some Mac OS or Linux.[/quote]

Vista and I don’t like it. What is the time zone thingy?

It’s definitely not a space-time continuum problem, as I got up early to see if you posted the OP again, but you haven’t, so we can definitely rule that out now.

Aww, Stray Dog, if I AM ever stuck in a space-time continum snarl I hope it’s with you!

I hope it’s with you!

I hope it’s with you!

I hope it’s with you!

I hope it’s with you!

(I actually hate that movie because–in some sort of cosmic irony–I’ve seen it tens and tens of times!)

Hey Housecat, where are you now? N. America? Which time zone are you in? (for example “Eastern Standard Time”)

This may explain your problem (or maybe not):
support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

Hey Housecat, where are you now? N. America? Which time zone are you in? (for example “Eastern Standard Time”)

This may explain your problem (or maybe not):
support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

USA, Arkansas, central time zone. Now I’m going to try to read that link. Thanks.