Why is it so easy to "Hurt the feelings of the Chinese people"?

As I understand it, Global Times is like a bellowing propaganda outlet, not necessarily reflecting inner policy directions in Beijing, but testing the waters of certain positions.

Guy

3 Likes

Global Times is a hawkish tabloid. It’s not really representative of the party or general population. See it more like Fox News

It’s definitely not a “mouthpiece”. But Taiwan News is shit

2 Likes

The People’s Daily and Xinhua more or less represent the Chinese government’s official position. In contrast, while Global Times is in line with more hawkish elements within the party, its boisterous editorials don’t necessarily represent Beijing’s official line.

2 Likes

Yes, of course, usually.

For the Chinese Foreign Ministry posting on Twitter, I do believe it’s nearer to an exception to the rule though.

1 Like

No, those Tweets will get reposted on Weibo. And there are two domestic audiences:

1. General Public
  2. People in the MOFA/Government

A lot of the time they want to show their loyalty/patriotism to better their own careers.

Also, the MOFA within China has been seen as pussy department without backbone. So they feel the need to prove themselves with these kind of displays

Not sure if on topic or off topic, but here are new official list of politically correct and incorrect terms in China (only in Chinese). Only can say wow! They really are going full-on

2 Likes

They do it because it often works and the offending party often backs down, they do it also because it affords them cover to “retaliate” against offending said entity.

In short it’s a power move.

The correct response is tell them to go pound sand and weather the consequences, which more people are doing.

They are not the only ones using this tactic by the way.

4 Likes

Yes, also this

Cant believe that people think that some hardened general or bureau chief in China, who grew up in the cultural revolution and has to navigate through the cutthroat world of Chinese politics, actually is upset about what words a company uses or someone writes in an article.

1 Like

You cant? They have been doing that exact thing since before we were born. Now they do it on record, on tv…its really quite cute. Sad, but ya…cute how they are so fragile.

word of the day

1 Like

It is actually against forum rules: * Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

1 Like

No they aren’t really upset, thats the point. It’s just a power move as @Mick said

Is there a problem?

nether when ones enjoyly celebrating uniquelier vocabulations

Good for this guy. Usually I’m not a big fan of celebs adopting pet causes, but anything that puts a thumb in the eye of the NBA’s slavish submission to China wins my approval. Hopefully he isn’t forced to make a hostage tape apology.

11 Likes

Kanter has faced the same in Turkey. He has his passport revoked and will basically be charged as a terrorist if he ever goes back. His games are banned in Turkey. Doubt he will flinch with China. He knew exactly what kind of backlash he would face already.

The balls on the NBAs court to see how they will respond now social justice puts Chinese money on the line.

8 Likes

I always chuckle when I see threads like this. Go to Twitter and see the discourse on US politics. Red vs Blue. “We are snowflakes too, but other people are BIGGER snowflakes!!!”

2 Likes

Regardless of what theyvmay feel…bloggers, twitter and facebook posters etc dknt actually have the real life influece that highly skilled professionals that ahve billions in financial push spreading their skill have.

I agree its all absurd. But more real than tweets and facebook morons.

This will go down in history as insanely embarassing for us as both a society and a ~short~ era! But we crave this extremism idiocy in order to let the pendulum swing back into center and we all become normal and use this mystery skill “intelligence” people keep claiming we have more of than any other species.

Chris Horton, writing at the Atlantic, has a piece on what he calls a “hyperinflation of hurt feelings” in China—and how this has led, paradoxically, to “the effective removal of the deterrent against democracies’ improving their unofficial relations with Taiwan.” Horton write: “if most moves are likely to anger Beijing, why hold back from any of them?” It’s a great read.

Guy

6 Likes

The boy who cried wolf is not a school reading in China.

4 Likes