Why is there a steady wash of pro-Trump, anti-Democrats propaganda circulating on Taiwanese social media?

So sanctions. Like I said, sanctions does work that well when you owe China a crap load of money and without your allies backing you.

So what? Do nothing?

This administration is also pressuring other governments to do this same like the UK right now. China is threatening to pull out of a bunch of other projects if the UK backs out of Huawei, basically proving the point that these aren’t people you trust.

Something must be done

Do something that can get your allies to trust your decisions and act together.

1 Like

I’d say this very much comes to what you define as “lately”. Republicans have controlled the Executive branch for 3 years now and fully controlled both Houses of the Legislative branch for 6 of the last 7 or so (if I recall that correctly). Given the US’s ‘winner take all’ system, it’s thus been completely impossible for the Democrats to have done anything functional (getting Laws and Acts in the books) during those 6-of-7 and anything symbolic-to-maaaaybe-functional the last 3 (being the final, almost-always rubber stamp signature on something Legislative).

1 Like

uhhhh… Obamacare…that was something significant

Significant for Taiwan? To be honest, my personal understanding of Obamacare is that it was entirely Domestic.

you’re. correct.
the point being that if Dems coukd get Obamacare passed, they could’ve done sonething for Taiwan besides sell weapons

1 Like

But would it have happened in the last 7 years (note: Obamacare passed 9 years ago on March 23, 2010)? That comes off as saying “If they could get Obamacare passed 9 years [only] during a full-Blue Congress + White House, they could have done something for Taiwan even though they didn’t have the House for 8/ 10 years (wholly checked that to correct my previous approximation), haven’t had the Senate in 6 or the Presidency in 3”. I see no logical equivalency there.

Especially since my primary point was in bringing up clarification on what “recently” meant. If you want to say “the last 20 years” instead of “7”, then you can start to bring up points within that frame. As is, you haven’t done the former requisite. You also completely ignored that I was speaking within that window.

1 Like

Some people are swallowing Chinese propaganda.

Virtually every politician/think tank scholar arguing for a strong commitment to Taiwan’s defense is a conservative. It’s not even close.

I can’t stand the thug-in-chief either, but I’m not going to make crap up just to fit facts under my ideological narrative (“only superficially better for Taiwan”), like half the people in this thread are doing.

2 Likes

Ideologically, the DPP is fairly liberal.They’re members of Liberal International, support affirmative action for aborigines, and legal gay marriage.
But everything in politics in Taiwan is overshadowed by the mainland China issue, and Republicans have been more supportive of Taiwan in confrontation with China, at least since 1996 when Clinton sent an aircraft carrier through the Taiwan Straits.

1 Like

W. Bush was very vitriolic when talking about China on the campaign trail before he was elected for his first term. However, that immediate changed once he got elected, especially after racking up a huge amount of debt to China. It was also W. Bush who wouldn’t let CSB off his plane. Other than Trump, that is the only Republican resident since Clinton.

The inspiring story of Bush and the Republican’s support for Taiwan-

“I can’t think back on a time when I’ve ever been prouder to be a Republican, Marco,” Bush said, before recounting the tale of “Chang.”

“Chang is a mystical warrior. Chang is somebody who believes in conservative principles, believes in entrepreneurial capitalism, believes in moral values that underpin a free society. I rely on Chang with great regularity in my public life. He has been by my side, and sometimes I let him down. But Chang, this mystical warrior, has never let me down.”
Then Bush presented Rubio a golden sword, and solemnly explained its significance. “I’m going to bestow to you the sword of a great conservative warrior.”

Only … a closer look at the sword and its display stand Rubio kept in his Florida Speaker’s suite showed that the inscription read “C-H-I-A-N-G,” not, “C-H-A-N-G.” Specifically: “Unleash Chiang.”
“Unleash Chiang,” as in the rallying cry of John Birchers in the 1950s, who urged the United States to arm Chiang Kai-shek, the Chinese Nationalist leader of Taiwan, so he could retake Red China from Mao. “Unleash Chiang,” which later morphed into sports trash talk in the Bush family, like when George H.W. would warn from the baseline that he was about to “unleash Chiang” with his next serve.

Some journalists covering Rubio’s ceremony didn’t recognize the allusion and wrote it up straight. It’s unclear even in a 2012 interview whether Rubio himself understood the story’s origins.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember reading that one. So strange. Remember the time when he was the dumbest president in US history? Good times…

I remember when Reagan was the Dumbest President of all time, spitting image ran a series, the president has lost his brain.

There’s a theme here, either all Republican Presidents are the dumbest President of all time, or that’s just what the left wing media narrative is, every time.

2 Likes

Right, because left wing media made W. Bush tell that unleash Chang story at Rubio’s ceremony…

Sometimes we pick and choose what we hear, I have heard that unleash the Chang story before. A couple of days ago Joe Biden was saying George Floyds death had more impact worldwide than the assassination of MLK, which IMO was a dumb thing to be saying, I doubt the news was even covered on most media sites.

1 Like

Maybe instead of an election, we should just have Trump and Biden take an I.Q. test. Whoever gets the highest score gets to be president. Oh, and no mail-ins.

Push up contest is the way to go imo.

Could be a photo finish. :grin: