Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership

[color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: Split from forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1611069
[/color]
Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership, when 6 kettle weights of different sizes and 2 sets of resistance straps delivered to your own home cost less than 1000 NTD?

maroons.

[quote=“urodacus”]Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership, when 6 kettle weights of different sizes and 2 sets of resistance straps delivered to your own home cost less than 1000 NTD?

maroons.[/quote]

Yup, and why does anyone need a bicycle, when walking is free?

And why does anyone need a pet cat when they can just paint a cat face on a rock and pretend it meows?

Bunch of needy, wasteful bastards, eh?

3 Likes

:roflmao:

[quote=“urodacus”]Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership, when 6 kettle weights of different sizes and 2 sets of resistance straps delivered to your own home cost less than 1000 NTD?

maroons.[/quote]

It seems impossible that’s a serious comment, but since there’s nothing in the OP’s statement that would provoke a sarcastic comment, I guess we have to assume you actually believe this nonsense? :ponder:

Anyway, lifting weights is the best way to lose weight and get fit, and the best place to do that is in a full gym with all the equipment. Kettle bells and straps can be a part of a good workout and a lot of gyms have them, but that on it’s own would be very far from comprehensive. If that was the only reason, that in itself would be plenty to get people to buy a gym membership. But that’s not the only reason is it? Lifting weights is a very healthy and enjoyable hobby. I don’t imagine you do, but a lot of people actually like lifting. It’s a hell of a lot more fun than watching TV isn’t it? Lastly, it’s a great way to get out of the house and be around people. Maybe you have friends that workout at the gym, or you’re going there for the purpose of meeting new friends. Either way, it’s a great social hobby as well. Spending a few bucks a month for all that is money very well spent.

If a person was out of shape and anti-social, your comment would make sense. But in that case I would imagine a gym membership would be more suitable for you than anybody else out there. :2cents:

Um, no. A common misconception. It may make you have bigger muscles, but it won’t get you fit per se. Strong does not equal fit. I think many people have a very bent idea of what fitness is.

Lifting weights won’t give you the fitness to ski for 8 hours non-stop. Won’t give you the fitness to run a marathon, or ride a century. Won’t give you the fitness to swim further than across the pool.

And don’t forget that gyms in Taiwan, like elsewhere, are generally little more than a well-planned way to part a sucker from their money.

1 Like

Do you have a link for that? Sounds good.

1 Like

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“urodacus”]
Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership, when 6 kettle weights of different sizes and 2 sets of resistance straps delivered to your own home cost less than 1000 NTD?
[/quote]

Do you have a link for that? Sounds good.[/quote]

pulleditoutofmyassrealquick.com/deal4u

srsly. Nice split, BTW.

Thanks I’ll definitely check that out, and, thanks.

1 Like

[quote=“urodacus”][color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: Split from forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1611069
[/color]

maroons.[/quote]

Why on earth do you need kettle weights if stones are free?

1 Like

Well, kettle weights have handles, but you are correct on so many other levels that i’ll let that one pass.

Why do you need handles?

Does your wife/ girlfriend have handles?

[quote=“urodacus”]

maroons.[/quote]

Yes, you do not need a gym membership to exercise, actually you do not need any equipment at all. But you do need to exercise and those who do not develop some form of regular exercise will someday regret it.

So why do people join? They need some incentive to go exercise(I payed the money I have to use it) , and they need a place that they can’t make any excuses not to. At home there are an infinite number of great excuses to rationalize there more important things to do other than exercise.

Personnel, I do not belong to a gym and do not like just exercising, but I do play tennis at a fairly high level 3-4 days a week. This works for me, enjoy the game and get exercise while doing so. I once belonged to a gym after I stopped playing tennis for several years and picked up the sport of racing sailboats (not really a sport, just another good excuse for a bunch of guys to get together and drink beer, just like fishing), put on several pounds, and got completely out of shape. I took up tennis again and within the first few months injured nearly every joint in my body. Decided, for my own protection, I needed to get in shape before hurting myself even more. So I joined only to force myself to exercise each week (without injuring myself on the tennis court). In a few months got back in shape, quite the gym, and have never returned.

Urodacus, you are a big moron.

How do you think it would feel taking steroids and protein shakes all the day at home, where nobody else does it? how would you feel being an oversized sack of muscles, unable to the slightest graceful nor agile movement, if you wouldn’t be with people like you? Humans are social animals that need similar looking and thinking people around. That’s why gyms and football exist.

:smiley:

I was underestimating the social aspect of joining the gym, i see.

Please pardon my ignorance.

Plus it’s really hard to swim, with kettlebells, in your living room.

:roflmao:

maroons.[/quote]

It seems impossible that’s a serious comment, but since there’s nothing in the OP’s statement that would provoke a sarcastic comment, I guess we have to assume you actually believe this nonsense? :ponder:

Anyway, lifting weights is the best way to lose weight and get fit, and the best place to do that is in a full gym with all the equipment. Kettle bells and straps can be a part of a good workout and a lot of gyms have them, but that on it’s own would be very far from comprehensive. If that was the only reason, that in itself would be plenty to get people to buy a gym membership. But that’s not the only reason is it? Lifting weights is a very healthy and enjoyable hobby. I don’t imagine you do, but a lot of people actually like lifting. It’s a hell of a lot more fun than watching TV isn’t it? Lastly, it’s a great way to get out of the house and be around people. Maybe you have friends that workout at the gym, or you’re going there for the purpose of meeting new friends. Either way, it’s a great social hobby as well. Spending a few bucks a month for all that is money very well spent.

If a person was out of shape and anti-social, your comment would make sense. But in that case I would imagine a gym membership would be more suitable for you than anybody else out there. :2cents:[/quote]

A few takeaways from me:

1. gym going often does NOT make you lose weight. It does make you lose FAT. Which is great.

2. American gyms are very antisocial. In the sense that they are generally far from “social” places.
    The Norm here is to go to the gym and do your thing and get out. People there often do NOT want to socialize. And most people don’t even exchange any pleasantries whatsoever.

People go in with their headfones on and carry out their routine and leave. Or listen to loud music blasting away in the gym.

IN Taiwan, gyms were places you socialize a bit and you CAN and do make friends. But in my last 15 years of gym going in the USA, it is very much NOT the case here. At least in California at the gyms I go to.

People generally only chitchat with those they come with or already know. But you can’t really use the place as a pick up zone . People are there to work their routines and most time themselves quite religiously.

Why does anyone need to exercise when death is inevitable?

I laughed so hard at this. Had to log in and tell you how this just made my day.

OP is being a troll. I don’t have a gym membership but I work out daily. I also bike and swim. Being in a gym atmosphere motivates me when there are no couches or snacks nearby. But that’d just me.

I may indeed be a troll, but I am a very nice troll.

I can attest to this statement.

Thank you. and 914, I do like the painted cat comment as well.

Big hugs all round, guys!