Why so few women in the Forumosa community?

UK would be a better example in this context.

And, Philippine, maybe the majority of native English speakers in Taiwan, male:female is almost 1:2.

Why not?!!! Chat daily, chat every 5 minutes, like Twitter, like Facebook, like any online social gathering space. That’s what it’s there for. That’s the connected world we live in, nothing wrong with it.

I don’t feel that there is nearly enough traffic on this forum. Way too little for a fun time in my opinion…where is everyone?

It wasn’t a criticism, but a genuine inquiry.

Good question.

There were more of us. There is also more media now.

As to women, well yeah, there are less of us, many are busy and some guys react bad to opinionated women. Some have better things to do than to wrestle in the mud of Internet discussions. Pigs and all that jazz.

4 Likes

Is it really that bad?

There have been some really stupid threads that would probably turn women away. Some of the dating and relationship threads can be pretty cringe worthy.

Could you elaborate please on this? Are you saying men’s discussion are akin to pigs in mud? Thank you

No. Not in real life. But some just let it out when under the spell of the Power of the Flashing Screen.

Most of the time it is just that the topics may not be so engaging.

Guys may come here alone, may get a girlfriend along the way for company and to guide them through. But still need the community sense, have questions their partner may not understand or feel hurt. It is hard to make other male friends out there so talking here helps. We foreign woman tend to face less resistance in the local communities and hence can participate a bit more, if we learn the language. If married, it is a whole different world.

1 Like

It looks like she’s saying that Internet discussions can be analogous to mud, and that wresting with pigs in it can tend to get one dirty.

???

Overall Internet. Something that eventually degenerates when they bring up Hitler.

Me? I prefer rule 34.

1 Like

Would you speak/behave differently if people were more up front with their gender ID?

This kind of keeps the conversation honest, at least ambiguous.

This reminds me of a thread in an old Mass Effect forum. One of the characters in the game has their face hidden. It is a female character and a complete thread was dedicated to love of this character who could not be seen. Someone thought it was sweet that people could still fall in love with character alone.

1 Like

Look, we had a similar discussion regarding the need for a women only forum. Meipanfa.

This seems overly simplistic to me. Could it ever be that the man guides the woman here? How do you know it’s hard for them to make other male friends? What do you mean by resistance in local communities? Why are women participating more?

Yep, it is oversimplified.

Example: it is easier to rent a room or get a job if you are female. Locals still think we are softer and less likely to cause trouble.

Usually it is a local guy leading a foreign woman here. Or you mean foreign couples who come here together? Those are two different headaches.

Some guys are stranded in town where the foreigner is a rarity. More difficult to engage people normally and hence make local or foreign friends. Same for certain workplaces, even in the city. Depends on the guy and the area but still harder.

I for one was never any of these stereotypes. Granted I could be one of the exceptions. Who knows. Who really cares

How many women are there on Formosa…About four?!?

Did we report information such as gender, age, nationality, etc., when we joined? I forgot.

Are there any statistics admins can access?

BTW, how many of you care about posters’ gender? I don’t unless it is relevant to the topic, such as conscription, solo distant walking, pregnancy, etc.

I guess it’s nice to know if I’m talking to a woman so I don’t make the mistake like someone said above and call the poster a he or something. And being in a male dominant forum, I notice that sometimes women posters often have a much different outlook on certain things we discuss.

And I understand that there are statistically more male English speakers in taiwan. But I was just wondering also if the men are doing something to put women off from participating.

If you count Filipinos as English speakers, maybe more female than male.

I guess posters who don’t disclose their genders wouldn’t care how they are called.

In which case English must be the first language of Taoyuan.