Muzha Man: I figured since you expect at least a

Sometimes, a thank you
for a bit of good advice
from an anonymous stranger
would be nice.

:slight_smile:

MM, you done good. Thank you. :bravo:

Defiantly responding to Mucha Man:
I only brought this up in the first place since it has been discussed that people should respond to the positive as much as the negative. You’ve only ever responded to me to jump on the negative, which wasn’t negative to begin with, it was mere fact. Your definition of ‘collective’ was wrong; and you didn’t apologize for it, nor even ackowlegde its actual fact. … It wasn’t my ‘idea’, it is cold hard fact, nothing more, and certainly nothing as a figment of my imagination.
… JUST like someone accused me on my Blog of being, you seem like the very person who would rather close off to what they don’t want to hear… as you have done months ago in our last Foumosa encounter being discussed at hand, and as AGAIN, you are doing at this very moment… (This person who COmmented on my Blog, also ironically in the very same sentence as accusing me of closing off from what I don’t want to hear, threatened to not return to my Blog, and didn’t want me to respond to them)

I have also stated several posts before writing to you in this thread, that I think Uly’s posts were not so much a cry for help, that rather people missed the point. It was more of a critical post; and that’s how I drew my parallel. (Yet you trivialize and personalize regardless.)

On the same token, you mentioned on page one of this thread that you would argue about the merits of this country with consumer-minded half wits (you were referring to Uly, amoung others), while that is EXACTLY what you did with me, those months back; meaning that while I wasn’t complaining for the same reasons he was (according to you), you still assumed I was, and treated me in the same manner.

By the way, I am 99.9% sure that you are one of those ‘wankers’ who leaves rude, ignorant and down right immature comments on my Blog. Your tone and claims, seem oddly familiar (one of the reasons explained above).

If I have offended you in any deep way, I am sorry. You are far too sensitive for this world wide web, my friend.

As for your BLOG comment, give me a break. :unamused:

I’ve been an AVID (ab)user of the WWW since the days of BBS Boards some more than 12 years ago.
This isn’t personal to me… Moved to sensitivity? No. Stubborn? YES!! :smiley:

YES!! I have often considered making advertisements for facial cleansing products; since I often come home and DO write my name upon my forehead with my index finger. If it can stand the test of maximum one wipe over the FILTH that has gathered on my face (in multiple layers after being stuck directly behind a bus at the face level of its exhaust pipe as I suck on its direct discharge); and if it cleans, then the product gets approval. The assorted soaps I have tried, sure can’t rid it in one wash!

I think that a lot of people that are offended by the bitchin’ and moanin’ deep down feel the same way and are trying to justify their existence here.

Or that they don’t have a sense of humor and take things too seriously.

Or that they don’t have a sense of humor and take things too seriously.[/quote]

Or maybe, in some cases, they’ve heard it all before. The excerpts below really ought to be made into a sticky, to be used as a model and a benchmark for future critiques along those lines:

[quote]. . . a culture that is a shitty,

Haven’t we all heard it all before in one form or another? It’s going to continue forever. C’est la vie.

If you start doubting you can justify your existence - why justify it?

[quote=“914”] …I think it’s a developing country …The mentality is money first, life second…

[/quote]

I hear this alot from people, foreigners, but I don’t see it alot in the people of Taiwan. Hong Kong, yes. Thieving China, yes. But Taiwan? Show me some examples, 914…

My Taiwanese friends here don’t act that way at all.

xp+10k justifies my existence in the face of souless questions like that.

Well, then good luck with your justifying.

Your attitude around here seems to be - “Ah whatever. I 'll just say whatever I want, no problem. It’s just a message board. I’m not responsible for my tone or anything and I sure don’t care how I affect anybody, or whether I have made any contribution to the place.” That’s basically it isn’t it? If so my question for you is - Why bother? It’s like playing pool and not trying. xp+10k wrote an interesting post that elevated the conversation somewhat and you treated it just like so much space debris. xp+10k’s posts reminds us that there are sensitive, intelligent, honest people out there with enough respect for others to make decent post. Your posts, honestly, have so far left a far different impresssion.

One of the best comments on this thread so far was Dangermouse’s:

[quote]Taiwan is what YOU make it. That’s it.

Same as any other country in this beautiful world.[/quote]

Why do some people get pissed off by people bitching about Taiwan? One reason is that most of these people haven’t tried to make a go of Taiwan. They have made little attempt to learn Chinese, travel around and get to know the country.

Miserable negative people will be unhappy anywhere. Put in some effort, try and make your life pleasant, and you’ll enjoy Taiwan a lot more.

Another thing that could piss people off is the way some people that moan about Taiwan make the assupmtion that those of us who love it here are blind to the facts “are you crazy? Taipei is ugly and polluted”. Yeah, but I’m used to that, and unlike you I get out into the easily accesible countryside around Taipei a lot. You don’t think I ever noticed that the city was ugly do you? Besides a city doesn’t have to be architecturally pleasing and filled with parks to be beautiful. I find it beautiful in a different way.

As for the side argument about whether Taiwan is a first or third world country (and as Tetsuo points out it’s certainly not second world, as that refers to the communist bloc), this has been argued at lenght in an old thread. I don’t think anyone calling it a third world country has actually been to a real third world country. Taiwan is certainly a first world country, but the fact that it has modernised so quickly means that third world attitudes and culture still prevail in many areas and Taiwan experiences problems due to rapid modernisation that older first world countries do not.

Brian

Can’t the moderators combine this thread, “Taiwan or California”, “Why Are You Still Here?”, and the other two or three threads on this exact same subject, all into one thread? I keep seeing people repeat the same things over and over in about three or four different threads and it’s annoying. Thanks.

Your attitude around here seems to be - “Ah whatever. I 'll just say whatever I want, no problem. It’s just a message board. I’m not responsible for my tone or anything and I sure don’t care how I affect anybody, or whether I have made any contribution to the place.” That’s basically it isn’t it? If so my question for you is - Why bother? It’s like playing pool and not trying. xp+10k wrote a interesting post that elevated the conversation somewhat and you treated it just like so much space debris. xp+10k’s posts reminds us that there are sensitive, intelligent, honest people out there with enough respect for others to make decent post. Your posts, honestly, have so far left a far different impresssion.[/quote]

Well, you found my question souless. What else is there to say?

That’s why I never go in them (shit! What am I doing in here?)

Posts on whether Taiwan is 1st world or 3rd world or whatever have been moved into their own thread:

[1st v 2nd v 3rd World

Where’s all the Taiwan defenders in these threads :
[Senseless tragedy in Yangmei
[Cruelty of dog catchers on the news
Where’s the guy in Taipei Times to tell us these are because of culture and is therefore a good thing ?