Will Taiwan Be Able to Lower Its Voting Age From One of the World’s Highest?

Not going to bother selling the pitch, would fall on dead ears. just saying it is what seems preferable rather than punishing lack of intelligence is all.

Ironically, a country with such a high respect for education might not want to hold their youth to a higher standard of intelligence. I find your comment hilariously ironic. But realistic.

I agree. if you dont take responsibility more serious, your shouldnt have the right. many die here, or get messed up, because they really shouldnt be operating heavy machinery in public.

I guess the root of my point is with rights come responsibility and with responsibility come rights. I dont see these matching up well in the case of say taxation vs representation as an example.

Perhaps the way voting works could change. there are likely many variable routes to solve problems.

How about a political system where people get to vote based on merit. Let’s call it a merit-ocracy.

how about based on social credit, set up a system, oh wait…

1 Like

both obviously terrible ideas.

think outside the box. if one is taxed on income and treated as an adult in that realm, why not have a voice. setup a multi tier government where say older people vote in, that tier takes care of more serious issues. Second tier government is lesser things like income tax as an example, and working age individuals could participate in a democracy they pay for.

there are loads of possibilities. but to be fair, I am not the one saying voting age should be raised. I am in favor of younger voting. I am also in favor of improved, unbias education systems being implemented.

That sounds great.

What about giving people pro-rated votes based on accumulated taxes over their lifetime (inflation corrected, of course) ? Presumably, people that have paid more taxes have contributed more to society and take responsibility more seriously.

Plus paying taxes gets more fun! Yay I am moving up a bracket!

I fucking hate democracy.

1 Like

Polar opposite of the idea I suggested.

Allowing people that are treated as adults to contribute to society by voting doesnt seem so crazy. change can be made from any angle.

I wasnt aware this was such a crazy idea in todays world.

Maybe if we keep enabling our young we can make the age to do anything 30 once we surpass the 100 year average lifespan.

Ok let me try to rephrase that to match your idea more closely.

"What about giving people less votes based on accumulated taxes over their lifetime (inflation corrected, of course) ? Presumably, people that have paid more taxes have contributed enough to society already and need less responsibility.

Yay I am moving up a bracket! I do not need to go vote anymore!"

Again, seems like a bad idea to me. But, welcome to work it through in the brainstorm tank that is a forum. willing to hear it through and consider :slight_smile:

Seems giving people more rights is better when they are on the hook for so many things. Example with income tax. 16 tears old pays it, but has zero voting rights which gives them no normal democratic voice on things like labor insurance policy, workers rights and so on. Unethical actually. They should have rights to vote on said policies if forced to pay for their costs via work.

Some other crazy ideas of mine that I think are totally wrong:

Banning criminals from voting. When the government makes laws to allow anyone to be a criminal, this is problematic. this needs to be adjusted. Rather, make certain crimes the target of voting rights if one cares to do so. Like murder, rape etc.

Banning people that have left the country for however many years, like canada tried before, from voting. Not ideal.

Again, punishment isnt the way forward in my opinion. that just inches closer to oppression. I much prefer just raising smarter citizens. But that seems like a crazy idea too :upside_down_face:

1 Like

No, I would prefer raising to 25 and requiring property ownership.
Giving Taiwan voters at 18 the right to vote means more childish cartoons and further dumbing down of issues. They’re still sucking on parental teet.

The people wanting to lower remind me of Tammany Hall or modern big city Democrats

Let’s just reintroduce slavery and remove the women’s vote while we’re at it. :roll:

How dare we give people a voice!

5 Likes

Won’t this mostly restrict it to men over 50? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Still can’t tell if people are trolling in this thread.

1 Like

2 Likes

No taxation without representation. That’s my view. If they don’t get a voice, they shouldn’t have any responsibilities either.

1 Like

In case this point is lost amidst the polemics, the constitutional referendum on adjusting the voting age did not pass.

Guy

2 Likes

I found the driving test in Taiwan harder than in the UK. Anyway besides the point of the thread.

Society is generally getting more childish though. 25 tomorrow, 30 next week. where is your line? Rather than continuing the enablement and spoiling of kids and turning young adults into children, maybe just push hard to raise children better and more intelligent…surely that is preferable to accepting older idiots

Me too. except not no responsibilities. everyone has responsibilities. but if they cant vote, they shouldnt be charged admission. That seems fair. They are still responsible for their health, living condition, relationships and so on.

No idea about the UK. but I findthe driving test, and follow up licensing to be fairly close to useless and explains a large amount of the terrible driving skill. I would say the education system can share some blame as well on the critical thinking and paying attention to ones surroundings sort of things!