Windows 10 to Linux Lite

:+1: I use Mint Cinnamon myself.

2 Likes

i downloaded linux lite 4.6. heard good reviews. donno.
i burned it to a disk the iso and am now using it , but not installing it.
just want to use it off the disk on start up until such time (if) i decide its all good then knock windows 10 off the hdd.

but weird is that the windows 10 monster in this machine must know something is up because its working pretty fast today, just out of the blue.
but yeah linux lite and firefox seem to be huming away.
I guess chrome doesnt work on this linux lite?

i use chrome normally
Asus was a right bitch, making it hard to press F2 and change the start order .
good thing for the internet and youtube helping me get over that hump.

since i do need this notebook which i hook up to a bigger screen and use as a desktop for some things its important that it does actually work

so far it does seem to be faster, except is it going to be a five minute wait until linux lite starts from the dvd everytime? Unless i install it on the hdd?

Or is it going to get faster, will have to wait and see.

I think so, yes.

well pretty impressive so far, it recognized the keyboard and mouse and monitor soon as i plugged them in and more impressively found the epson printer that i have online pronto and worked immediately.
much faster than getting that printer to work wirelessly with windows.

everything seems purrrrrrty fast. i like it so far. but not used to the format as yet even though its very window like.
i guess im used to windows.
like i dont know where the download and pictures would be if i were to save something to download
and i guess i cant play a cd if im using the dvd player to run the operating system

but fast it is, like a new puter, which is what i really want it for.
Its not as jazzy, i dont know how to upload a start up pic on the thing.
and resolution transferred to the monitor seems not as sharp as on windows.
but on the notebook itself its fine.

but honestly if this speed holds up that is worth doing!! because basically iwant the internet to work fast. and its doing that
can chrome work on linux?

or am i stuck with firefox, which is very fast on linux but pig slow on my puter with win10.

Definitely. Or you could try Chromium, the open source version, which is essentially the same.

1 Like

linux lite is very fast i must say, but also im not used to a new format yet. gues will take time, soon as this computer starts to freeze up again i will just put linux on full time

Chrome, chromium, opera, waterfox, take your pick they all work.

1 Like

You should be able to install it onto a hard disk partition, and use a boot menu that will enable you to choose between Linux and Windows when you boot up.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I will do tomorrow
Probably best at this stage so I can go back to windows if needed

Or I may eventually just dig Linux

And since I have a completely empty puter
It’s no problem to have two OS because no space issues

1 Like

Switching to a different OS depends mostly on what Windows software you can live without. If you depend on MS Office or some other unsupported software, that might be a deal breaker. There are alternatives to almost everything, but they don’t have the same features. You can download Open Office on your laptop and try it in Windows to see if you can get used to using it. You should probably run some hard drive checks first, and check your resource monitor to see what is slowing you down. There may be unnecessary software running in the background that autostarts when you boot that you can uninstall or prevent from starting. If you’re running out of memory and can’t uninstall or stop anything more, you might be able to upgrade the memory.
If you think you need Windows, I would try first making a backup, then saving all your important files separately, wipe the disk and restore the backup. If it’s still slow, wipe everything again and reinstall Windows only. Reinstall any software you use. If it’s still slow, you can try replacing the hard drive or installing Linux and seeing if you can manage with that. Any of the versions mentioned would be ok for your hardware. I prefer Ubuntu, and it works fine on hardware that’s even older.
Or get a new hard drive and try again with Windows. You’ll probably be ok with another HDD drive if you don’t move around much, but you can get a cheap SSD drive if you don’t need as much storage. Then restore your backup and see how that goes.
Linux is good for basic daily use, or for some very specific use or by technically inclined people who don’t mind doing the work. I’ve used it on laptops I use for travel or around the house, but I need a lot of software that runs only on Windows. Or Mac, but I’m not touching that.

1 Like

well i tried to install to disk following the instructions and the info i got was linux crashed upon install. Many times. tried different ways

Install with win 8
or Something else and followed all the commands. wont work
so perhaps I will download another distro and try that.
Mint perhaps.

I recommend you stay with Windows unless you have the strong desire to learn Linux - strong enough that it wouldn’t even be a question whether to switch.

Linux has a lot of mental overhead associated with it - as you’re finding out - and so if you’re not willing to commit to the ecosystem long term, learn bash (even for enduser-focused-distros with GUI), or live with compatibility issues/forced “not-really-equivalents”, better save yourself the headache. And for $250? A no brainer.

Value your time.

2 Likes

You are probably right
Since I deleted everything on that puter it works a lot faster

Did you partition the disk first?

No brainer to save $250 I’d say! Unless you really have some specific need for Windows.

Yeah I did windows partition
Maybe the iso I burned was corrupted
Weird but using Linux life as a flash disk somehow shocked my computer into working well with windows so I may just stick with it
Unless I want to be adventurous

1 Like

Sometimes you have to let it know who’s boss.

That’s true and if that lil bozo of a puter refuses
To work again I will Linux the shit outa it

1 Like

Well windows has its many faults too like the endless updates for one that seem to take forever to process

Sow to start too

Also if I find something that really works I may want to ‘fix’ the Microsoft tablet I got my wife 3 years ago as well

That thing cost about 450 when new and it’s working but it doesn’t compare with the iPad she also has

The thing that makes me want to double boot is somehow I feel that I should have gotten a disk with both those Microsoft pc but I didn’t as they don’t come with those since probably a decade ago

And I feel I gave Microsoft money and if I used Linux by itself and wiped out the hard drive I would have forgone that right to go back to windows should I choose However reinstalling with the original disk also means year’s worth of installing updates and those are a devil so that’s not fun either

Microsoft sucks really but it’s the devil I know

But actually there is no pressing need I can think of to use windows outside of it being familiar to me

1 Like

You can still do those checks I mentioned before to find or correct any hardware or software issues if you’re going to stick with Windows.

1 Like

I have a five year old Asus Laptop, with I5 and 8GB ram. I replaced the HDD with an SSD drive. The whole thing is now much faster: startup, running apps… etc. It still glitches lightly… but this has given my PC another 2 or 3 years of life. I was amazed. Well worth the six thousand I spent on it and a new battery. Together I get 7hours + sometimes now, esp. if I’m careful.

1 Like