Windows 10 to Linux Lite

An SSD drive makes a big difference if you’re going to run windows and especially if you’re using disk intensive software, like you’re uploading, downloading, making or editing video or large graphics. And for running the OS on. Upgrading the memory, where possible, is also an easy choice and doesn’t require transferring data.

Some things are a touch more hands on in Linux. Like I got a webcam, and it won’t play right out of the box. But 5 minutes looking on the internet, entering a command or two and downloading something totally sorted it. No problem for by far most people I’d say, but you do run into that kind of thing now and again.

If you want a lite desktop without it feeling too unpolished, I recommend Kubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.

Kubuntu uses KDE plasma for the desktop environment, which is amazingly liteweight these days. Mate might look a bit blah out of the gate, but it can be configured to look very slick.

1 Like

So the latest thing I found out that windows 10 loads a whole bunch of software on your computer and they really make it hard to start everything up
it’s got all kinds of tracking shit as well you know like all the pages you visited and every single thing you do the computer is sent over So Microsoft supposedly can make sure that your system can be made better and faster but all that stuff is slowing down the start up.

I read about this recently so I went into my settings and I changed everything and turned everything off
all the cameras and microphones and all the tracking software
turned that stuff off and so I also removed every single thing the hard drive has other than windows 10 itself so with all that in place I got windows 10 to start up in about three mins

And perform basic computing needs
And the new Edge seems to be a match for Chrome so far

Im a little bit unhappy that Microsoft windows 10 loaded all the shit on my computer without me knowing about it
I didn’t want to have all my activities transfer over to Microsoft server so they can supposedly make my machine run better
So they can send me targeted advertising and all that BS

I am so miffed about it thet I might just go ahead and delete this whole CRAP and go with the Linux lite 4.8 and just forget about windows 10

Because it is just a reskinned chromium? Microsoft did do some optimization to Chrome’s memory usage, but really, Edge is just Chrome with Microsoft watching you instead of Google.

There are enough people on here, including myself, to help you along in Linux if you get stuck. As written above, it does require some time investment.

1 Like

Ah they bought it off google?

Chromium is free source!

2 Likes

I believe they just didn’t want to invest in trying to compete with it, so they are just using the engine. It was a bit of a sad decision because it means most of the net now is running off of one browser engine, as firefox not as popular as you would think.

1 Like

Yeah Firefox is not as fast as chrome for me

Is it really sad? I doubt it was not wanting to invest to compete, as much as investing to reinvent the wheel.

Because firefox is not abusing your system resources. Also, google cheats and limits firefox’s speed with many google services. That’s why there is a firefox addon that allows your firefox to pretend it’s chrome, and it runs much faster on google services.

2 Likes

Imo they have a lot of power to bend the web one way or another to suit their commercial interests.

Question
If my computer takes three mins to start up with an empty hard drive outside of windows itself will Linux lite start up faster ?
Or does it usually take about three mins also

Yes.

1 Like

If I partition my hard drive to install Linux Mint, would the performance of games on my Windows hard drive be compromised?

Unless you are running out of disk space, it shouldn’t have an effect.

2 Likes

well hot diggiity dog. i finally decided to take the plunge and convert this computer to linux lite
i just got so tired about the unstable performance of windows 8 converted to 10 on the puter

it sometimes all went very well then it will slow down again
dang it was such a bitch

im hoping this linux lite will be awesome, fast start up and i can use this puter for the simple tasks that i ask of it

2 Likes

3 Likes

linux fo life mofoers. Zorin os is cool