Woke is Crazy - What even is Woke?

And that is a mistake. It all started with someone saying, “I’m not racist.”

Makes one wonder if racism today in civilized countries is more of a personal choice. And if so, is that ideologically acceptable in a free and democratic country?

I was born in a rural white monolithic culture that included bias and prejudice, but not necessarily racism. Can one still living there say, “yeah, I’m a racist, but it’s mostly because of where I live and who I come into contact with?”

I mean, eye’m not racist! Just asking. :whistle:

I am not racist. I just discriminate. I discriminate on a lot of things, not just race.

2 Likes

Woke = smart.

Not woke = not smart.

That’s an incredibly stupid way to classify humanity

3 Likes

“Woke” is godsend to the establishment as a tool in the tried-and-tested “divide and conquer” strategy to keep everyone at their throats over surface-level issues, such as race and gender, instead of uniting on the serious issues that most working people can agree on like rising living costs, a deepening rich-and-poor divide, and endless wars. It’s also a godsend to the media, but old and new, “left” and “right”, because of the emotion and hysteria these stories create and the revenue they ultimately generate from audiences on both so-called “sides”.

8 Likes

This feels like the mantra of some weird cult…which it pretty much is.

4 Likes

No more than the OP to be fair :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah…that horseshoe is fully hammered.

1 Like

Stupid people are generally happier people. Maybe there is a connection to the woke topic. Man, I really am a stupid idiot. but as long as I haven’t woken up, that’s fine with me. Who wants to be woke anyways? freaks?

Nope, OP has the option of more than 2 choices

I’m going to have to start a set theory thread, this is the third time in 2 weeks

1 Like

According to wikipedia,

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning “alert to racial prejudice and discrimination”.

Over the years it has degenerated into something else. Which brings to mind this:

When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

This is quite common with contentious social phenomena, where one of the ways of taking the bite out of an issue is to coopt or debase its meaning. Subversion of meaning is a question of power: neutering others’, and reclaiming ours. We can thus sleep soundly after slaying phantoms we conjured up with a slip of the tongue.

It sure did

1 Like

I doubt this (‘cancelling’) is unique to Woke 2.0, the manifestation being debated here. I think phenomena like ‘ostracisation’, ‘blacklisting’ and ‘shunning’ are as old as the hills. Examples: in the states there was McCathyism and Salem, in the USSR denunciations, etc, if you think woke is extreme :joy:. Choose any country across time you will find it.

Work 2.0 is a culture, a performance. Who is performing what for which audience?

1 Like

How about deadnaming or misgendering?

Indeed. Taiwan had been a much needed vacation for me!

No idea, that might be a reason why someone got cancelled. I mentioned ostracisation etc as cancellation is just a new name for an old behaviour.

1 Like

Good that navigating a face culture is a vacation. I find it too much work. :laughing:

Compared to the Canadian university where I was, the Taiwanese university I’m at now is like a tropical island after years in the tundra.

No walking on eggshells, fear of offending someone accidentally, requirements to sit through social justice/woke/DEI statements
or training, no “academic” presentations about microaggressions or people’s hair, biting of my tongue, being called an asshole because I didn’t bite my tongue, etc.

5 Likes

Academia can be brutal. Being an outsider has its benefits. :smile:

Funny how most of the sources of complaint I commonly see here could be drastically improved if Taiwan had been more woke.

You mean the food, the air, or the traffic would be better if people hated straight white men more?

5 Likes