Woman in Hualien gets fined for telling someone to f**k off

Me too. I didn’t think ‘forget you’ was at all uncommon, and since when do people follow proper grammar when swearing? Though, I believe ‘forget you’ is one of those substitute clean words for a swear word, like ‘shoot’ (or ‘shite’ for you brits) and ‘geez’.

More power to 'em!

Is icy disdain against the law? Condescending sarcasm? I’m a fairly frequent offender, if so.

What gets me is the Liberty Times’ xenophobic attitude and editorializing in supposed “news” (actually no surprise, as it happens in the Taipei Times all the time), saying things like 法官英文強 老外唬不倒…"Oh ho! You sneaky foreigners can’t pull the wool over our clever Taiwanese judges!“ :sick:

Poagao wrote: [quote]"Oh ho! You sneaky foreigners can’t pull the wool over our clever Taiwanese judges!“ Sick…[/quote]

Ahhh… pulling the wool… brings back fond memories of the homeland.

Ahhh… pulling the wool… brings back fond memories of the homeland.[/quote]

Now he’s going to start accusing me of being Welsh again. Can I sue the yeti for all the emotional trauma I have suffered as a result of his taunts on this site?

Loretta wrote: [quote]Now he’s going to start accusing me of being Welsh again. Can I sue the yeti for all the emotional trauma I have suffered as a result of his taunts on this site?[/quote]

Well, you are bloody Welsh, or “almost Welsh,” aren’t you? I enjoy bullying obscure and silly ethnic groups such as Latvians, Walloons, and of course Welshmen.

And, yes, you can sue me, but I’m broke. If you won, you’d have to take payment other than in cash. I could put on a Japanese uniform and be your yeti secretary slave for a month.

Edit: Oh, I almost f*cked to stay on topic, um… “Forget you!”

My reading of the story is that she wasn’t prosecuted for breaking the law but sued by an individual for insulting him/her in public. It’s a frivolous case, yes, but not the same as being arrested for swearing as if it were a criminal matter.[/quote]

She was convicted of publicly humiliating the plaintiff. That’s a criminal offense under Article 309 of the Criminal Code.

Telling someone to fuck off is not publicly humiliating them.

Stripping them naked, painting them blue, and making them walk through the streets playing the euphonium might be considered humiliating, but it’s not half as bad as asking someone to speak English in front of their classmates.

[quote=“Feiren”]
She was convicted of publicly humiliating the plaintiff. That’s a criminal offense under Article 309 of the Criminal Code.[/quote]

Which is it? If it was a criminal conviction, I’d disagree with the verdict, but not so if it was small claims court.

[quote=“Feiren”]She was convicted of publicly humiliating the plaintiff. That’s a criminal offense under Article 309 of the Criminal Code.[/quote]Were they any witnesses ? Why is using that word humiliating but “forget you” and whatever else they were arguing about isn’t ?

What about Taiwanese who sneakily call me si adogah, would that be humiliation?

Coor! I have to get back to Taiwan and milk this small claim court dry, baby, dry!

HG

Could make a bloody fortune with a video camera!

Just need to find a competent lawyer and a judge who understands the law in Taiwan. :laughing:

One of the problems is that the locals hear the swear word but don’t understand the context or the idea that the vast majority of English-language swears don’t actually insult somebody.

“This is f_cking good steak” is not an insult, it’s merely an intensifier.

“F_ck off” is a suggestion for the hearer to leave and isn’t really an insult in my way of thinking.

“F_ck you” essentially means that you’re angry with somebody without specifying it. Does it say anything about the recipient other than that the speaker is upset? Not really, other than that the recipient is the sort of person who might make the speaker angry enough to curse.

“Wipe that sh_t-eating grin off your face, you unethical moron” actually has only one real insult in it – the suggestion of that person having lower intelligence at the very end.

Judges who think they are English “experts” might be the worst to try to guess what a flustered person says or at what the “average” person does. Some of these guys passed the judges/prosecutors bar exam and, after a bit of training, went to the bench at about 23 years old or so if they passed the first time around. With little to now real-life experience but a smattering of English education, these are the geniuses who can never see how consumers could possibly be confused by even the most blatant of local knock-offs of brands.

Taiwan; wearing its ignorance and parochialism as a badge of pride for all the world to see, yet again.

Buttercup wrote: [quote]Taiwan; wearing its ignorance and parochialism as a badge of pride for all the world to see, yet again.[/quote]

You’re a TAIWAN HATER!

If you don’t like it here, leave.

Our anger should be directed at the foreign woman who brought shame upon the foreign community, not at the judge. Women shouldn’t be swearing anyway - it’s a matter of evolutionary biology.

But I don’t like it anywhere. Meiyou banfa.

Unless all my demands are met, I’m going to immolate myself on the steps of Carnegies. It is my will that my ashes be sprinkled onto Loretta’s dog’s (the only boy I adore) dinner and the turds be blasted into space.

Edit I don’t swear. It lacks sting.

Easier said than done.

It would be fun to watch you try and complete a simple menial task like setting fire to yourself wthout fucking it up. I bet you sprain your elbow or something equally preposterous. But I doubt I can make it to watch the show.

I haven’t said ‘when’. I’m sure I’m flammable. I’m full of bile.

Wouldn’t all that escaping hot air extinguish said flames?