Women: do you humiliate your man?

YC wrote:

[quote=“YC”]
There’s nothing inherently wrong with using a negative to explain a positive. In fact, it’s pretty important to know what you don’t like, in order to know and appreciate what it is that you like. It’s this introspective honesty that allows people to understand themselves. It is ok.[/quote]

Yes there is something wrong in using a negative to explain a postive.[/quote]

Why? What’s so inherently wrong to use negatives as a baseline to analyze a situation? In fact, analytical solutions starts with “what is wrong”, “what is the problem” in order to understand and explain the issue before creating a plan of action to fix.

To know what is positive, you need to know what is negative. You can’t explain a positive or a model/ideal without going into its opposite. Positives and negatives are two sides of the same coin. You can’t talk about one without the other if you want to fully understand the issue at hand.

But of course. By definition, a personal observation is biased and limited in nature. Does that by itself invalidate the observation? No of course not. It is only a starting point for discussion.

True. There are times, where that’s not possible. I don’t understand why must one take a message personally?

It is kind of amazing to me that so many men would be aware, for example, of how men are so often portrayed in the media as hapless saps forever awaiting the approval of their wives or girlfriends, and how this both reflects and creates social norms, but the women here so far seem to see nothing of the kind. I tend to avoid western women (except 914s girlfriend!) because I am always wary of the next time they are going to try and chew my head off for being, well, a guy, I guess. There is nothing odd about it. What would be odd would be returning again and again to the same hassle.

Then again things may have changed with western women in recent years. I sure as heck wouldn’t know.

YC wrote:

What do you mean? We learned it because it became a socially learned and acceptable behavior as way to gain power. In America, power has always equated to degradation of some form.
[/quote][/quote]

I think you hit upon something there. I agree w/r/t US society. Now, take this thought and plug it into the threads here where men talk about their ‘love’ for Asian/Taiwanese women and their ‘non-love’ for Western women. It soon becomes pretty obvious as to why lots of men really dig Asian women. Using some of the posts here as extreme examples for sake of illustration, we find that men are tired of getting ‘stuff’ shoved into their faces and ‘fight’ with their SO partners. For a man, why is a relationship a power game? How did it get from where partnership roles and responsibilities defined a relationship morphing into a power game of me vs. you, you vs. me? A zero-sum game? :loco:

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]I learned pretty early on that I was not going to have many chances for love. This isn’t a sob story at all, it is just about a realization I came to in my late teens that the popular culture of relationships in America would prevent me from settling down. At the time I did not think about it in terms of country however, and never realized that the problem might be uniquely American. I didn’t abstract to tell the truth, I just realized it. And what is it I’m talking about? The disrespectful, rude, and demeaning way that so many American women treat their men. Keep in mind that it never occurred to me this was uniquely American. I just thought that it was a man/woman thing in general, and that I was very unlucky to have a problem with it. Afterall, it is widespread. I don’t know at what point in the relationship this happens, but I think it starts with casual jokes, like:

Man forgets about women’s birthday or their three month dating anniversary or something similar. The women takes this as a ripe opportunity for righteous indignation, and tells her man that he’s “in trouble”. She then proceeds to tell everyone she knows that he forgot, as if it was really important. It starts out like this…with casual jokes, finger waiving “you’re in big trouble mister!”, etc. Then it becomes real.

Then the man really is in trouble. The relationship has morphed. It is no longer two adults with mutual and equal respect, but has become a kind of mother and child, or boss and employee relationship. Men are constantly nervous as to what their wives’ next whim will be, and really will be told to sleep on the couch, apologies will be demanded (for ridiculously minor incursions), and sex will be refused. Sex becomes a weapon, not a pleasure. Women will even say it right out loud, in front of her man’s friends. If a man is a “good boy”, then he gets sex; if he’s a “a bad boy”, he’s in the doghouse with no sex. Sex is no longer spontaneous and fun; he just hopes he has appeased his wife enough to get some. Little wonder this is the stage most men think about leaving.

But it usually gets worse before that happens, if it ever happens. Public humiliation replaces or rather enhances private humiliation. The woman has come to the point where she openly orders her husband around, whether it be at home or at the supermarket. Everyone that he knows and she knows will now openly talk about whether he is “in the doghouse” or if he’s been a good boy. She no longer attempts to hide her demands with subtle questions, but out and out tells her husband what he will do, when he will do it, and always with the unspoken understanding of the consequences if he doesn’t.

I know this sounds biographical, but oddly enough it’s not. I met my wife when I was 18 years old, and she does none of these things. But all this did happen to a very good friend of mine, thankfully before he actually got married. His fiancee started acting like this before a marriage ever took place, and he sure gave her a shock when he told her that she had better stop treating him like shite or he would dump her faster than she could say Jack Robinson. Well, she just couldn’t help herself, and it didn’t last.

This behavior is part of our social programming, and we see it everywhere. On TV we have our familiar stereotypes of a helpless, idiotic, defeated husband who slavishly obeys his “honey”, who orders him around like a trained pony. It’s everywhere we look…at home, among friends, and in public.

And, I know I’ll get flamed for this, but I met two American guys (one who was divorced) at Shi-Da who have both vowed to never again date American women because both had similar experiences to the above. It seems that Taiwanese women don’t feel a need to develop this boss/employee relationship that lots of American women do.

So my question to the womenfolk is this: what do you think of the above behavior? Do you do it or know other women who do, and why?[/quote]

well, actually i know a lot of men treating their WOMEN like that…sure, there are mean women too - but what hinders one just to leave them? in opposit to men women rarely use force to make a man stay, dont they? - and besides: ever heard about that it always needs TWO? if theres one whos acting mean - theres always another that allows it…
and of course its not a US problem: i know one european woman which is even worse… :unamused:

After begin married to a Taiwanese woman for 10 years - I gotta say - what planet do you come from? Subservient???

After year three you’ll be so wrapped up you’ll actually begin to beleive that it’s what you want, not her, that those are still your thoughts

Taiwanese women are seldom subservient. At most they might give you a pass in public, but that’s only to save thier own face.

Elegua, exactly, it’s stupid, and I’ve never met a man who believed it, but I’ve met lots and lots of folks who seem to think there are hordes of Western men who do.

Erhu, I think there might be a slight difference here, as bob pointed out already: this is socially sanctified. You and others here are (rightfully) talking about this as unhealthy behavior, as are we. Yet it has become a fully acceptable, familiar social norm in the West for women to boss around their men like trained monkeys. I am suggesting this as a possible reason why lots of Western men have turned to Asian women. I didn’t mean for this to be offensive at all, and I still think the idea has merit. Oh and if you don’t treat your men like this, then great! That’s what we like to hear. But it is behavior that has become part of our mainstream culture nonetheless.

YC our wires are crossing

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]
Erhu, I think there might be a slight difference here, as bob pointed out already: this is socially sanctified. You and others here are (rightfully) talking about this as unhealthy behavior, as are we. Yet it has become a fully acceptable, familiar social norm in the West for women to boss around their men like trained monkeys. I am suggesting this as a possible reason why lots of Western men have turned to Asian women. I didn’t mean for this to be offensive at all, and I still think the idea has merit. Oh and if you don’t treat your men like this, then great! That’s what we like to hear. But it is behavior that has become part of our mainstream culture nonetheless.[/quote]

gao bo han- You keep saying that women bossing men around is socially sanctioned in the US, so could you give some concrete examples of this other than my friend joe’s girlfriend…or jack’s wife always…
I’m not trying to be facetious in any way by asking that. I’d really like to know how you’re arriving at that conclusion.

At this point, I don’t see it that way. Even Hillary Clinton politely “stood by her man” after he publicly humilated her with his infidelities.

Also you say “lots of men” have turned to Asian women. As far as I know only a very tiny segment of Western men will only date Asian women. Where is your proof for this? Do you just mean you and a few of your guy friends who hang out with Asians? Obviously most Forumosan men are married to Taiwanese women. That makes sense, because they are living in Taiwan. But, most of the white guys I know in the US don’t have any special feelings or interest in Asian culture or its people. (sadly :frowning: )

If you’re trying to examine your feelings about why you prefer Asian women that’s one thing, but trying to project your preferences onto all (or even lots of) Western men is a little far reaching.

This is the only convincing argument I’ve heard in this thread. On the other hand, I overheard one of my co-workers admit something similar, that her relationship was like a game, two people constantly vying for control. But what

[quote=“Danimal”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
For a man, why is a relationship a power game? How did it get from where partnership roles and responsibilities defined a relationship morphing into a power game of me vs. you, you vs. me? A zero-sum game?
[/quote]

This is the only convincing argument I’ve heard in this thread. On the other hand, I overheard one of my co-workers admit something similar, that her relationship was like a game, two people constantly vying for control. But what

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
Now, as a man, I work my ass off in a very stressful day job. My whole day/week/maybe life is one big stressor. I’m constantly worried about my job, career, company layoffs. I worry about my health, I worry about insurance, I worry about my projects/tasks, I worry about my employees, I worry about my bills, seemingly everything about my life involves stress. And that’s not including the other types of personal baggage that may give me angst. Given that, why do I want to be in a relationship where my partner is giving me yet another stress by playing some control/power game with me?[/quote]

I don’t get it , and I’m a western woman. I just think that at some stage one would give up the power need in a relationship. But then again, some people derive their sense of self from having control, so I think both parties can be guilty, rather than focusing on a few nutcases…

You are getting close to understanding us Namahottie. Earlier you said something to the effect that you can put a person down if you like, but if you do, don’t be suprised if they eventually show you the curb.

Later you go on to point out that abusiveness is a learned behaviour and is not limited to western females. We understand that, but what we are suggesting is that one of the things that is common in western culture now is for women to feel a certain moral superiority to men that leads them to acting like, well… I won’t say it.

Culture is shared experience, language, history etc. and culture is what we are talking about here. Nobody is calling you Namahottie a… What we are saying is that our culture has produced a lot of them in the last few decades. That is our experience and that is why we have chosen to leave. It is, for us, a healthy choice.

Most people posting here are in Asia, where there are more Asian women than American (or Western) women, thus I would think that it’s natural that Forumosan men here are more likely to end up with Asian lovers/brides than Western lovers/brides.
So unless you can show that those men come to Asia for the purpose of finding a(n Asian) lover/bride and not for other things like e.g. work I don’t see a trend that they are running away from American *) women.

To me this all sounds like saying Western man in Malaysia run away from Taiwanese women because they are [naturally] more likely to end up with Malaysian women than Taiwanese. But it certainly would not be because of any negative trait of Taiwanese women, instead it’s just a matter of the place you are living in. Well, that’s what I think at least.

• Not all Forumosan/Western men are Americans (or have had American partners), so your argument would not only apply to American women but to any non-Asian women.

Since no-one seems to have attempted this, I’ll have a go :slight_smile: To me the most famous stereotype of Asian women and white men is the whole Madam Butterfly thing (and its successors). It’s got the whole connotation of rich, careless white man takes fragile Asian toy for his plaything and breaks it - to paraphrase rather a lot. I think a lot of the idea springs from this idea of the meek, bowing, mysterious geisha which translated by extension into Asian women in general.

Asian women are generally shorter, thinner and younger looking than other ethnicities, which is a universal sign that they can be physically dominated. That is, shorter, weaker and younger people in general are easier to dominate. This might contribute to the idea.

There have, I believe existed a species of men who have used their money/passport etc. in the past to essentially ‘purchase’ women from overseas, hence the insult ‘mail-order bride’. It could be extrapolated that having ‘bought’ his woman, the man is automatically the boss of her. The woman may be perceived to be in roughly the same “subservient” position as the domestic helpers in Asia are, whether true or not.

Many Asian countries are very “traditional” in comparison to the West I believe. I’m using my 1950s stereotypical definition here with the smiling housewife, her three gleaming children, dinner on the table, and slippers for the man. There are also many traditional-style women in the West too, I believe, but possibly a higher percentage in Asia for whom the man has been considered ‘head of the household’, or at least seen to be so in public view and this might contribute to perceived female submissiveness. I believe the gap is closing fast though.

These are just my theories on the subject. I shall now don my flame-resistant jacket, just in case :slight_smile:

[quote=“Marshall Tucker Band”]I’m gonna take a freight train down at the station, Lord
I don’t care where it goes
Gonna climb a mountain, the highest mountain, Lord
And gonna jump off, ain

I came across an interesting read:

[quote]According to “Taiwan Moves to Boost Women’s Marriage Prospects” (The Associated Press, Aug. 30, 1996, by Annie Huang), many Taiwanese men prefer brides from other Asian countries because they feel Taiwanese women

Taiwanese women “expect too much” from their husbands. Hardly the same as treating him like he is an idiot. And when they go looking for mutually respectfull relationships where do they turn? Often times to western men. I don’t think that this detracts from gao bo an’s original premise in the least.

Thanks bob. Unfortunately law school has begun so this may be my last post :frowning: I think you and me started on the wrong foot and I’m glad to see we both balanced out. Let’s stay in touch.

Daasgrrl, thanks for the great explanation.

Erhu, you are right in asking for statistics. But I think in most of our arguments here, none of us here really have them. To be honest, and as I explained in my original post and have reiterated since, I am going by my own observations. And even though my original example was strictly ancedotal, it wasn’t Joe Blo, it was one of my best friends I’ve known for years and years. Again, it was an example, not a thesis. I do think that some proof can come from the testimonies of men right here on Forumosa though. You may have noticed a man posted here who directly experienced this himself; of course that doesn’t make it statistically significant, but it does provide us with some firsthand experience. Anyways, as bob mentioned, seems like lots of the men here are aware of these evolving stereotypes but the women aren’t. Erhu, as you once said to me in slightly different terms, THE MEN ARE TALKING AND YOU AREN’T LISTENING. :wink:

Oh, and there are statistics on interracial marriage in the US (I know that’s a different issue), and I seem to recall that white men/Asian women is the most common despite the low number of Asians in the country as a whole (compared to other minorities). I think that at least has some significance, but I’ll leave you to look that up.

You know what? Forget it. I will try and leave here on a good note. None of the stuff that I, bob, YC, Chris, etc. have been talking about it is real. It was just a big joke we’re putting on. I didn’t watch one of my best friend’s heart break over this, bob and I don’t really see the stereotype of men as idiotic saps with their domineering women lashing at them all over TV and in public, YC’s lucid exhortations were produced uncannily by a random character generator, Chris didn’t actually have a girlfriend who behaved this way, and MaPoSquid didn’t mean all that stuff about social conditioning. Oh, and by no means, by no means whatsoever, has any Western man ever married an Asian woman because she treats him more respectfully than did women in his home country. That never, ever happened or happens. What else…hmm…got it!, Western women in Taiwan don’t have trouble getting dates either. Everybody’s happy and there’s no problems.

And I bid you all a very fond farewell :sunglasses:

Gao bo an - To be sure you are most welcome. When I look back at that original thread I can see how I may have come off as being a little flaky. Although I didn’t mention the term initially, what I was trying to do was introduce the concept of “restorative justice” which is a north american aboriginal system of conflict resolution. In that model it is understood that people will need to continue to live together after a crime has been committed, and it is also understood that each of us is to some extent a product of the other. The more we see ourselves as belonging to the group and therefore responsible for it, the more connected we feel and the less likely we are to act out in destructive ways. I thought I would mention this to you since you are just beginning your study of law. It may seem a bit naive at this point but there are quite a few legal experts interested in the idea both in canada and in the states. If you google “restorative justice” I’m sure you will find some great sites.

I think we gave the girls quite a licking already here in the “women - do you…?” thread so perhaps I’ll refrain from any more comments on that issue. :notworthy:

Well it’s 5:30am and I just got back from a date. The night before I had a date with a Japanese student from Shida. In fact, if I wanted I could have a date with a different guy every night of the week. I don’t have any problem getting dates here or in the US either.

…Don’t know what your point was gao_bao_an, but this Western woman has no trouble getting dates in Taiwan.