Women's Forum - Are private forums necessary?

What. Traitor!

I have it on good authority that one of the most popular threads in the womenā€™s forum is a discussion of which Forumosans they would rather ā€œscrew, shoot, or marry.ā€

Iā€™m a cynic by nature so it doesnā€™t take much to convince me that Iā€™ve been had and the whole civil rights thing is just self-serving bullshit. Too bad. There goes my last shred of faith in humanity.

1 Like

If the existence of a womenā€™s only forum as part of a larger forum for ex-pats living in Taiwan is what makes you lose your ā€œlast shred of faith in humanityā€ you probably didnā€™t have much to begin with.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got some bad news for you, sunshine.
Youā€™ve been had and the whole civil rights thing was just self-serving bullshit. Too bad. There goes your last shred of faith in humanity.
Oh yeah.
Greedo shot first.

Enjoy your evening.:vulcan_salute:

A post was split to a new topic: Oprah

I fairly frequently think about things that I desire but donā€™t have, and that often leads to thinking about people who have things that I desire but donā€™t have. And that thought in turn sometimes produces animosity in me.

But with one exception, I donā€™t think I usually really want to take the other personā€™s stuff. Itā€™s more like just an ā€œIā€™ll have what theyā€™re havingā€ kind of thing, but with a certain amount of bitterness mixed in.

(The one exception is that when I hear, see, or read about sums of money in the eight-to-twelve-figure range (in U. S. dollars), I sometimes wish there were a way for someone to legitimately peel off a little fraction of that for me (say, just two or three hundred thousand, but even just one hundred thousand would be quite acceptable).)

However, I can honestly say that, to the best of my knowledge, Iā€™ve never wished there were a spare womenā€™s forum lying around for me to take possession of. And I certainly donā€™t recall ever wanting to take somebody elseā€™s womenā€™s forum away. (And while Iā€™m at it, Iā€™m pretty confident in saying that Iā€™ve never wished that anyone would peel off a small part of a womenā€™s forum for me.)

I canā€™t account for that lack in me. I guess itā€™s at least partly due to my being such an oddball.

1 Like

I donā€™t think or at least for myself that I want to take away or join the womenā€™s forum.

I think my original question I think that returned everyone here was if the majority of us are men, why is there a women only forum. I posed the question knowing basically why but I just wanted to see how others felt as well.

Because a menā€™s only forum here and menā€™s only club are often criticized. Boy Scouts for example and other male only members clubs like golf courses. Maybe us men also deserve some thought and have a menā€™s only section. Maybe I want share all the good brothels on äø­å±±åŒ—č·Æ without @tando judging me :grinning: or just a variety of menā€™s issues.

2 Likes

I hope your GF doesnā€™t read this forum.

1 Like

I know this guy named Bernie. I think you guys would really hit it off. :grin:

2 Likes

Ummmmm it was before I met you babe, if youā€™re reading this

1 Like

Oh, that wasnā€™t a dig at you, Andrew, but I guess I was trying to figure out what this is about. I mean, I guess Iā€™m mostly made out of the same stuff other people are, and I sometimes become resentful about people who have things that I donā€™t have.

And I get the reverse discrimination argument. I do.

In 1976 I briefly worked for a beer distributorā€“just manual labor, in the warehouse and accompanying the salesman on his route. We went to places that were kind of unusual, even for Louisiana :slight_smile: . Like, at least one time, we delivered some beer to the leprosarium at Carville (we saw a bunch of guys shooting pool and cracking jokes and saying things like, ā€œ'Bout damn time you got hereā€). Another time, everybody, black and white, in a certain cypress-wood general store spoke French, but the store certainly wasnā€™t in Acadiana; Iā€™m pretty sure it was near the Mississippi border.

Still another time, a bar we went to had a ā€œWhiteā€ side and a ā€œColoredā€ side (thatā€™s how the signs read). Now, this was about twelve years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, so of course it struck me as quite odd. I used to wonder sometimes about that bar, but recently, during the revival of the Womenā€™s Forum thread, a somewhat fantastical hypothesis about it has sort of half-formed in my headā€“one that I dare not express for fear of being scolded (for those of you who always have Occamā€™s Razor within easy reach, the fantastical hypothesis is not about white folks not wanting to drink with black folks).

If itā€™s the Bernie* whoā€™s been in the news for the past couple of years, I donā€™t think that would be a very productive meeting. You see, Iā€™m a registered Republican, and although I may well fit in the RINO category, I ainā€™t that far RINO. But for a while in my teens, Iā€™m pretty sure Bernie would have been to the right of me.

*If itā€™s some other Bernie, belay the above.

This is probably true of most teenagers, ha. Itā€™s the older Bernie supporters you have to worry about.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry. I wouldnā€™t get in threads that Iā€™m not interested in.

I deserve that. I feel like the guy in one of those prison movies whoā€™s been resisting joining a gang until one day the light goes on when he realizes even the warden is in a gang. There is no middle anymore. Rowland has been right all along. Itā€™s every tribe for itself and take no prisoners. First move is Iā€™m going to register to vote for the first time in years.

Is that a shred of hope weā€™re seeing here? :thinking:

If eight years of Trump is your definition of hopeful then I suppose so. I know my hunting and fishing buddies in the U.S. are going to be pleased that Iā€™m not going to sit out the next election.

1 Like

We should all worship and/or be sacrified to Cthulhu? :astonished:

1 Like

Nooge/Troy 2020?

1 Like