Women's Forum - Are private forums necessary?

Would someone please give Surf the access to Women’s Forum, so that he could read all about waxing, gynaecologists, bra-shopping, irregular periods and pap-smears. I think 10 minutes should be enough to go through the threads and realise there’s nothing for him to read. There are issues that are of no importance for men, but kind of sensitive for women.

And I agree with you on men and women not being equal. I’d be happy to let my husband give birth to our children. Where’s the justice there? :slight_smile:

[quote=“truant”][quote=“surf”]I am lost as to what was meant by that comment by truant. Yours too Ironman. :s My points have been open and clear.

I am all for unisex bathrooms. I am not single, by the way.[/quote]
OK I’ll spell it out.

I think you don’t understand the womens equality issue for starters, and I think you don’t understand that some women need their own space, both virtually and in the real world.
…and to finish, for someone supposedly campaining about equality, you sure do sound really chauvanistic.[/quote]

I understand the womens equality issue probably better than most men. I have lived with it all my life. My mother is a strong proponent of womens rights. She is for EQUALITY though and not SPECIAL EQUALITY as you and others seem to think should be allowed.

Does that mean that women are the only ones that need their own space? Are women the only ones with needs? Try again. Equality is just that, equal.

As far as chauvanism is concerned. That is just what scared people turn to to cover their own inadequacies, name calling. Make an excuse and you have covered your butt. Put a name to it and you can justify yourself in any action you take. People are scared to talk because people will label them as being in a certain group that some strange far sided group have termed not allowed to be used.

I also believe that if a lady wishes to be treated like a lady then she should act like one. If she wishes to be treated like a man then she should act like that too. The same goes for a man. Either way there are good and bad to both scenarios. We cannot have the good from both and none of the bad. If that is chauvanistic then well, I guess I am. What I really am is a realist and have a strong belief in equality, not special group equality.

By the way, I would like to be in on some of these child rearing items. I am the father and the mother here and have concerns and needs as well.

whoa, so I’m a scared name caller? :unamused:

What I will do, is step back from debating this with you.

Wow, now I feel like erhu did in the nude = rude thread. When a woman is ragged on(no pun intended) that is bad but when a male is it is okay.

What makes you so sure there is nothing there to read? If there is nothing to read then why the privacy? That does not bother me but yet you assume it will. Are there not sensitive things to men also?

Personally I would rather have given birth to my kids than put up with the problems I have. At least the pain would have been for only a short time and then gone. I would also have had the option to go through with it, or start it in the first place.

The thing is God did make us different. So we are either different or the same. Women you cannot have it both ways!

Dude, the Women’s Forum is also for foreign females who lurk on Forumosa because of the animosity and bickering that goes on the public forums.
You do realize we have more lurkers than actual members.
You do realize that some of these lurkers find the Women’s Forum more comfortable.
You do realize if HotGirl123 makes a post in the Open Forum titled “That Not So Fresh Feeling” male posters will turn it into a joke and HotGirl123 would have to read through post after post of bs to find useful information.

I know, how about a Parents/Parenting Forum?

My husband let’s me go out wherever and with whom I like. I often pop over to my friends house, and sometimes go down to the cities with my friends to have fun. He only asks did I have a good time and enjoy myself.

There’s nothing as a woman that I can’t discuss with my husband :smiley: :smiley: . He teases me all the time. :smiley: :smiley: Always making comments like “only women bleed” and being able to pick me up like a six pack… so romantic :unamused: :unamused:

I can see why some women would need to discuss things with other women only. Personally I wouldn’t discuss any of my private life with other women, especially on a forum :blush: :blush:

I like my man to overpower me :blush: :smiley: :blush: :smiley: :blush: :smiley:
[/quote]

AG, thats great, but not everyone here is as lucky. Your are a local if memory serves me right, so getting whatever needs you have seen to is relatively easy, language is certainly not a problem. For many of the women here, that is a problem and talking about it to their husbands does not necessarily get the problem resolved.

When the womens forum was set up it was because a good number of predominantly male posters took the thread and made a mockery of them.

The creation of the womens only forum allowed women where necessary to make a cry for help knowing that all readers would at least be sympathetic to their plight and might be able to point them in the right direction for assistance, something most did not always get prior to the forum.

Gynaecological matters are highly personal, and someone who has a problem, and bitten the bullet to try and get help on a public forum, not easy to do i imagine, the last thing they need is a group of posters taking the mickey.

Surf - The whole concept of “equality” and “rights” are red herrings in this discussion. The simple fact is none of us have the “right” to read the private thoughts of any person. Now, what we write here is “public” since we choose to make it so.

A PM is “private”. You do not have the “right” to read it.

Now, if a group of people want to have a private discussion, you do not have the “right” to join that either.

There are private forums for women, groups of friends, etc all over the Net. You do not have the “right” to join them.

So, I applaud the Forumosa hierarchy for having this Women’s Only forum. It makes it convenient for women in Taiwan to get together. If not here, they could easily start their own private forum elsewhere, and you would not have the “right” to join that either.

In a nutshell, there are all sorts of things we don’t have the “right” to access. The world is not an open feast for you, me, or anyone. People need private space, and women have enough crap to deal with from men as it is.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been in Asia, but I have a feeling that as years pile on years, you’ll start to see things in more of a kaleidescope fashion and less black and white as (I think) you see them now.
:wink:

Well said Jefferson :bravo:

This is the benefit of discussion. Good post. Until recently I did not even know there was a womens only section.

Initial thought was “great, now we have private mod discussion, pm discussion and womens discussions so I end up commenting on things that have been thrashed out behind closed doors in yet another area”

Your post clarifies that issue to some extent. Only thing is we all have limited time. I work with yahoo mail and messenger all day and drop into Forumosa at times.

We each have time limited resources to be delving into various areas of the internet and too many private areas on Forumosa could be detrimental to the overall value of a Forumosan visit.

Thank god for you Jefferson. I don’t think anything was getting through to Surf. It’s getting quite annoying so I’ll leave it for the rest of you to reason with him.

Also, I’m Kello. Not a Kitty. Obviously he also has trouble reading as well.

I can understand why Dassgirl asked for treatment for her childrens ear infection in the womens forum. Mothers generally spend more time with children, especially if they are housewives or work from home.

Let’s suppose a young daughter has a yeast infection in her vagina. No-one would question a mother examining her child and taking her to a womens clinic.

If the father did that a lot of questions would be raised about his actions :blush: :blush: :blush: and we end up with much ado about nothing except good parenting.

Better to have a womens forum for that. :smiley: :smiley:

I’m sure most men treat their wives well if they have a good relationship. I’ve seen some pretty awful women doing nasty things to their men in this country too.

914’s idea was a good one. A parenting forum could be a useful addition to the site.

Let’s suppose a young daughter has a yeast infection in her vagina. No-one would question a mother examining her child and taking her to a womens clinic.:nsfw: [/quote]

Please, no more.

Only thing worse is discussions about puss. Puss is bad.

Hey, I agree they may get trashed, but that is the fault of some inconsiderate people, male or female. It has nothing to do with separation. Yes there are a lot of sites out there for women only and that is where they should stay, out there and not here in this site. If a serious question is asked then the ones that just want to make fun of it should lay off and not a separate forum set up.

I never said that I wanted to or had the “right” to read pm’s. They are just that “private maessages”. If you wish to have a private discussion in my living room then yes, I do have a right to join it. If it is outside or in another place then yes, you are entitled to have a private discussion.(you can even talk about me, I don’t care). As far as joining other womens sites,(as Maoman has stated before) yes I could join them because they have no way of knowing if I am male or female. If you don’t know it will not bother you either. It only bothers you because you know I am male. If you soo much want a private forum and can start it elsewhere then why don’t you and stop bitching at me for stating the obvious.

Crap from men? Does that not go both ways or are you just looking at the world from your own tinted glasses. As far as being over here, I think that I can probably safely say that I have been here a wee bit longer than you. Also I look at things a s all being gray and not black and white and that is what I enjoy so much about this site. It allows us to see all the shades(unless edited out). Seems there are a lot of females out there that only have coloured glasses on and cannot see both sides of the coin. Band together and attack! There is safety in numbers! Follow the other sheep! It’s annoying if it goes against what you want or think! If it agrees with you then it would be fantastic. I agree with Ironman, that is the benefit of discussion.

AB I agree with your perception about the daughter. If a man raises the child and takes care of her then any actions he takes are looked upon with question. Yet if it was the mom with her son there would be no questions or looks given to her. I too have seen some bad treatment given to men by women here and back in the old country. Some have physical scars from those actions. Yet back home when shown they were just laughed at by the judge and said that he must have a:done it himself or b: he was a pussy. So you see women it is not only you who have problems in this world.

Kello, here is for you. Just so that you know I can read AND spell. Happy now? If I agree with you I am a King, if I should dare to disagree then I am scum.(nice to know).

In conclusion I say “DO YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXCLUDE OTHERS?”. There is a “right” to privacy and I have never questioned that. We do not need a parents or parenting forum because that would only enforce/endorse another form of segregation. I like to have a parenting discussion but not a separate forum that excludes others. I thought that we were over all that segregation of different colours, races, sexes, religions and such but I guess we are not. Women seem to still want it. What is next?

Exactly who do you think you are? You have as much right to tell this site’s owners how to run things as I have to tell you what color panties to wear. (I’m hoping they’re pink with yellow polkies (crosses fingers).)

Anyway, bubaloo, you have no clue how long I (or anyone else) have been here, not that that would make your (extremely unpopular) POV any more valid one way or another.

You may resume display of head bashing against wall.

I third that. A parenting forum would be an excellent source of information for parents, new parents…people thinking about being parents…people trying to deal with their parents.

I can tell you how to ensure your child can catch and throw a ball as well as bat one. :slight_smile:

Ear infections, potty training…shitty diapers…swearing…

Ya know what…let’s make it parents only…keep the “I think you should blab blee blah, blee blee blah” non parents out.

I am joking of course…as we are all former (and current in some respects) children, we all have something to say about parenting.

Now what do we do?

Ohhhhh, MAOmaaaaaaaaaaan! Oh Guuuuuuuuus! :slight_smile:

You’re joking, right?

You mean we’re going to get rid of unisex restrooms and go back to separate men’s and women’s restrooms?

Here’s my two cents for the time being: while by and large I also have a problem with the concept of “equality when it suits us” and all that other stuff, let’s look at this realistically - there’s a demand for a private Women’s Forum, and so there’s a private Women’s Forum. And while there are a few calling for a Men’s Forum for the sake of balance, do you really think it’d get any real use? Is there any real demand for it beyond a few people bitching about “Well, if they’ve got one why don’t WE?”

Right, anything other than the “Foreskin Thread” would seem irrelevant or at least redundant, or somewhat repetitive.

What the hell does “I’ve been here longer than you” have to do with the issue at hand, anyway? Sheesh!