Words that make you cringe

You’re just figuring this out now?

2 Likes

As long as they’re not calling you mite, count your blessings. :australia: :new_zealand: :doh:

You are totally missing the point.

Could you explain?

The thing is when you say the British government or British PM the focus is on the government and the PM or whatever you’re referring to, so it’s correct to use British in this context. Everyone would know that it includes NI (at least in the context of government or the PM).

However, you shouldn’t use British to describe anything specific in NI as they would hate that.

1 Like

My older relatives call themselves British or Northern Irish. If you ever visit Northern Ireland you should be wary about calling people Irish. The reverse is the case in Scotland and Wales, of course. No British there.

Well I guess the best strategy would be to ask what they’d prefer to be addressed.

That would be even worse.

Well then I guess the best strategy would be to not visit NI at all.

1 Like

I’m reminded of the American author Ron Rash’s short story, “A Servant of History.”

Which you might enjoy reading, btw.

I’ll give it a go.

It’s not that bad.

If you worded the question carefully you’d be OK. “So, are you British or Irish?” wouldn’t go down well with anyone. You might find yourself nailed down in a car park.

It must be miserable there if their standard reaction to a foreigner’s innocent question is to nail them down.

If you ask nicely they’ll just screw your pelvis to a cake stand.

1 Like

@BiggusDickus, I think @Gain just picked NI on a whim and didn’t fully understand the politics. A lot of people lost their lives just so they can be called British or Irish, and when you have risked your life for something, you don’t give it up easily.

I thought a good rule of thumb was just not to speak to any strangers in Britland. Or the New England states. Especially in the winter.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing the phrase “going forward” with increasing frequency lately, instead of phrases like “in the future”, “from now on”, “henceforth”, etc.