Words that make you cringe

“centers around”

“Thanking you” instead of a simple thank you.

“Write you” (particularly grating).

HG

Forumosa

doing things in triplicate…

UGGGhhh “ATM Machine” and “PIN number” irritate me too.

Equally annoying: “Back burner.”

“Let’s put it on the back burner for now.” Yuck.

'Jodhpurs" is a dispicable word, too.

Leukemia
Pap smear
maggot
turbulence

I had never thought about ‘PIN number’ before now, but agree it is ridiculous.

I don’t like the word ‘chunder.’

Runs good

[quote=“Jaboney”]“bling bling”

What kind of a stupid ^&& ^&%R$^%$#%^ came up with that?[/quote]

Pdiddy, Diddy, D, Sean Combs whatever he is being called today, is who came up with that word.

Wigger
Umm Umm Umm
words with the ‘n’ sound in it that are pronounced ‘un’

“nucular”…only seems to be used by gwbush, as recently as the state of the union address last tuesday. he just can’t say it correctly: “nuclear” he’s such a loser. and i hate that little snicker he gets in at the end of every other sentence that’s designed to make whatever he’s babbling about seem obvious. sorry, i digress

can i “aks” you a question? come on people, it’s “ask” you a question, not “aks” you a question.

the people on bbc who pronounce “schedule” like “shedule”, or “negotiations” like “negociations”

literally – except on those few occasions when its used correctly

Maturation

irregardless – as has been previously mentioned, but that one’s so cringe-worthy it deserves a second mention

intolerant or intolerance – especially when used as an insult

any sentence that involves the word “thong” combined with any word used to indicate a male. ex: “see that guy in the thong”

prolly for probably, yuck!

:blush: Been using this one for awhile.
HG

Underpants

lacerate
exfolliate
pustules
mucous
scabs
smegma
bile
fecal
phlegm
Republican

prioritize
proactive
homeland
value added
carbs
Any time the name of a Taiwanese government office is printed in its entirety when it’s not necessary to do so, such as in an article (e.g. “Silly Rules for Overseas Labor Office, Foreign Teacher Deportation Agency, Bureau of Bureaucracy, Department of Ridiculously Long Names, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Executive Yuan, R.O.C.”)

1 Like

classy.

She’s real classy.

(Not if you’re using that adjective, she’s not…)

It’s great and comforting to know that skanky old Tom is not alone in his hatred of words, both how they sound and how they are mis-used. :smiley:

Phenomenal / phenomenon

Don’t like those words.

Momentarily (when they intend to mean “in a moment” - a sin most often committed by airline staff and TV announcers). “Momentarily” actually means “for a moment”.

A: We will be landing momentarily.
B: I hope you’ll wait long enough for all of us to get off the plane…