Working From Home in Taiwan - 2021

A friend’s company holds daily video “meetings” to talk about…almost nothing, to make sure you are at your computer.

If I were the boss, I would probably be a bit concerned too, but most of the time, it’s a direct effect on out put and you can always trace it back to whoever was slacking. Again, if anyone’s boss has time to micromanage you, that means he
seriously needs more shit to do.

2 Likes

My employer reserves the right to monitor any files or websites I browse. Everything on it is ‘theirs’. They don’t actually say how often or how they do it. I suspect they don’t actively monitor but they do block certain websites. And they also try to firewall software installation . They did ask me to sign their digital policy again so every time that happens I wonder if there are some things happening in the background ?

Interestingly files on a USB drive are not covered by that policy. Handy one to know if there is a dispute .

We do all our work online so if I wasn’t working it would be fairly obvious quite quickly. I have no horror story whatsoever.

2 Likes

Wonder what they would think of your time on forumosa. :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

Haha. Did I say I post from my laptop. :grin: I have one brain but many devices.

By the way now is my lunchtime.
And my role involves late calls quite often . So…Give and take.

4 Likes

Always one step ahead! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

3 Likes

I wonder how well hidden are these monitoring software.
You probably should notice a running process or something, so you would know you are being watched.

It used to happen on my computer that a process would pop up and it looked like it was taking a snapshot of my computer. But nobody could confirm what it was and it disappeared after later updates …Maybe they removed it

2 Likes

If they don’t do it in the office they likely won’t at home. Software costs money. I knew someone who worked for a German company in Taiwan who was doing an MSN chat (that long ago) while at work doing a private business deal. Their boss handed them a transcript and sacked them.
For WFH, they can’t install anything on your home computer without you knowing about it, but if they give you a laptop to work on it could easily have monitoring software on it. Outsourcing companies like Odesk let you use something similar to monitor workers. It’s not a bad idea if you’re hiring someone by the hour to do a job, but managers should know how much work their employees should be getting done every day.

2 Likes

I like your HP printer at the right side :smiley:

Those printouts really come hot off the press.

1 Like

Instead of spending money on monitoring software, might as well waste time in meetings to make sure people are actually doing “work”. amirite?

3 Likes

Huh. Normally I don’t mind construction elsewhere in the building when I’m at home. I just head to a coffee shop or a park, if the weather is obliging.

Now, when there’s not really anywhere to go… this isn’t good.

2 Likes

Can you use your university office?

Guy

1 Like

Yes and no. Normally I would. But distance learning means all the homework and exams I’m marking are computer files, which means a bigger monitor is really useful so I can see an assignment, see the rubric, and type in records. Doing the same on the small cheap monitor in my office would be a lot more hassle.

I’m considering it, though.

1 Like

It’s the opposite for me. However, I am just lazy to disconnect my desktop monitor to use as an extension to my work laptop…is what I would say if I was still wfh. :laughing: :laughing:

At the office of course!

Nice set-up, toaster oven handy nearby.

My back is killing me. Never expected my sofa to be so bad for long term use.

Due to technical constraints -like battery does not work so I need to be plugged in- finding the right place for the laptop is a chore. At least I bought a lamp to add light to the screen.

But my lower back really hurts… :sob:

There are not that many distractions. Unless they are killing something, my cats stay put because of the heat, I guess.

However, I did notice that every afternoon, between 3 and 4, the gecko makes its way from the balcony to the kitchen. This in turn wakes the cats up who stalk the entrance to the kitchen waiting for the gecko to make its way back. If I am still plugged in between 6 and 7 I can see him making his way back. Weird.

1 Like

My gecko died of natural causes I presume. When dehydrated one of the the dogs started chewing on it.

1 Like

You probably need to change your setup for a better posture. Also, the exercises from the videos can make it less painful.