Working in Taiwan without a degree?

And once again our faith in humanity is restored. Very good Rubicon.

Not quite. But I accept the gesture, nonetheless. Peace bro. :slight_smile:

To get an ROC passport and then a TW ARC after that would take at least 1 month, assuming he has all the paperwork in order. That’s also assuming his father was a TW citizen. Claiming through the mother is far more complex.

Unfortunately I cannot get a ROC passport. It was my grandparents who came here from China, not my parents.

Anyways I still have lots of questions but I am going to ask them in the “Living in Taiwan” forum since my questions are not really specifically about just teaching. So if any of you guys still care to share your wisdom
with me I’ll be pestering the board with more questions there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you very much to everyone for the helpful info.

:slight_smile:

I agree entirely. That post was uncalled for, and unfriendly in the extreme. And, ‘other people have said things like that before’, is no defence.

Brian

bu lai an he apologized already.

Really? Didn’t notice that. Sorry.

Brian

Me too. Group hug?

Why don’t we all go over to the make-up love shack in the flounder forum?

(Moderators Note)

Nice work folks. I thought about…ahhh…ummm “rearranging” this thread but you were able to moderate yourselves. Thank you.

Now back to the OP’s original question.

This question might have been answered, but iam unsure about it. I know people say you can’t get an ARC without a degree, but then someone mentioned having a 2 year diploma and certificate in TEFL will get you one. For my situation i will be taking time off school. I will only have a semester to go but i need to get away for a while. Will i still be screwed because i dont have the degree, but i do plan on having a teaching certificate?

A teaching certificate or a TESOL certificate? There is a difference. You usually can’t get a teaching certificate without a bachelor’s.

I meant a teaching english certificate, TEFL or TESOL or what ever. Sorry i wasnt clearer in my last post.

Is it possible to find esl teaching work and get a work permit without a university degree? My friend has a Trinity TESOL and years of teaching experience but no degree. Can she find a job? Is it worth coming to Taiwan to find out?

You can find illegal work but in order to be legal you must have a college degree.

[quote=“Buxiban.com”]In order for foreign teachers to gain legal employment status within Taiwan they must obtain work within a licensed school. Licensed schools are able to sponsor foreign employees in their application for a working visa and alien resident certificate (ARC). In order for teachers to meet the government requirements for employment as a foreign teacher the following criteria must be met:

[ul][li]Be a native English speaker (holder of a passport from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States)[/li]
[li]Be willing to sign at least a one year contract of employment[/li][li]Possess a college degree from a four year institution (a three year bachelor degree, for applicants from the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia)[/li][li]Pass a government-approved medical exam (best taken here in Taiwan)[/li][li]For the processing of the relevant documentation your employer will require original documents[/li][/ul][/quote]
Source

Unless Taiwan holds some particular attraction, I suggest your friend looks for a job in a country where the government trusts employers to decide for themselves who is and who is not qualified to work for them.

I also thought there was a AA degree in English or education + TESOL certificate path to qualification.
Is that still available?

If so, if your friend has a 2 year degree from a community college in a related field then she’d be eligible for a work permit.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]I also thought there was a AA degree in English or education + TESOL certificate path to qualification.
Is that still available?[/quote]

A two year college diploma (in any field) and a TESOL certificate is acceptable.

A two year college diploma (in any field) and a TESOL certificate is acceptable.[/quote]

Yup thats it, if you have a diploma and a TEFL then you can find a job. Me, same as your friend and been here for just over six months…havent worked yet, okay ive done some private teaching but nothing else…

If your friend has no uni degree then try finding work in Thailand or perhaps China / Mongolia, no other country in Asia would consider you otherwise.

Just spking from my own experience…five years in Asia.

Yup thats it, if you have a diploma and a TEFL then you can find a job. Me, same as your friend and been here for just over six months…havent worked yet, okay I’ve done some private teaching but nothing else…

If your friend has no uni degree then try finding work in Thailand or perhaps China / Mongolia, no other country in Asia would consider you otherwise.

Just spking from my own experience…five years in Asia.[/quote]