Working in Taiwan without a degree?

Hello. I’m currently teaching in China and I’ve been here since March 2006. I will have 1 year experience when my contract ends. Now I’m interested in teaching in Taiwan however from what I’ve been told, I need a University degree or a TESOL certificate and 2 year college diploma. All I have is a TESOL certificate and some experience. I hear the odd rumors that say that you don’t necessarily need any of those qualifications and that just having a TESOL certificate will be fine. I also heard that some schools in Taiwan have ways of getting you the proper visa to work on even if you don’t have those qualifications. How exactly would you locate the schools anyway? If it’s possible that I may be able to teach with no degree, could someone let me in on the information? I’d appreciate the information. Thanks.
Alias1983

p.s. I heard a rumor that some people got degrees through Canadian Institute of English. westonreserve.org university. Would these degrees be accepted?

You need a degree in order to obtain a work permit. You need a work permit in order to teach legally. The degree needs to come from a school recognized by the government. You need to hold a passport from a country the government recognizes as an English-speaking country. I’m pretty sure Weston Reserve is not one of those recognized, despite its endorsement by the Kuwait royal family. :laughing:

It is not unheard of for people to teach illegally. They face being deported should they be caught. They are caught often.

[quote=“sandman”]You need a degree in order to obtain a work permit. You need a work permit in order to teach legally. The degree needs to come from a school recognized by the government. You need to hold a passport from a country the government recognizes as an English-speaking country. I’m pretty sure Weston Reserve is not one of those recognized, despite its endorsement by the Kuwait royal family. :laughing:

It is not unheard of for people to teach illegally. They face being deported should they be caught. They are caught often.[/quote]

i had the impression you were in the medical field…
how do you know so much about teaching?

[quote=“dablindfrog”][quote=“sandman”]You need a degree in order to obtain a work permit. You need a work permit in order to teach legally. The degree needs to come from a school recognized by the government. You need to hold a passport from a country the government recognizes as an English-speaking country. I’m pretty sure Weston Reserve is not one of those recognized, despite its endorsement by the Kuwait royal family. :laughing:

It is not unheard of for people to teach illegally. They face being deported should they be caught. They are caught often.[/quote]

how do you know so much about teaching?[/quote]
I’m actually in the art field – I’m an expert piss-artist.
I don’t know anything about teaching, but I know about the qualifications required.

A real 4 year degree (BA)–or equivalent-- from an accepted university or a two year diploma in conjunction with an ESL/EFL certificate of some kind; these are the qualifications required for a work permit as an English teacher here. Unless you are married to a local, if you possess neither, legal work (and legal residence) will not be an option.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“dablindfrog”][quote=“sandman”]You need a degree in order to obtain a work permit. You need a work permit in order to teach legally. The degree needs to come from a school recognized by the government. You need to hold a passport from a country the government recognizes as an English-speaking country. I’m pretty sure Weston Reserve is not one of those recognized, despite its endorsement by the Kuwait royal family. :laughing:

how do you know so much about teaching?[/quote]
I’m actually in the art field – I’m an expert piss-artist.
I don’t know anything about teaching, but I know about the qualifications required.[/quote]

ah,yeah…you’ve been here since the creation of the universe,you must have seen those questions a dozen zillion times,

actually,i’ve been meaning to ask you…

where can i get myself some sour cream? :smiley:

[quote=“Alias1983”]
p.s. I heard a rumor that some people got degrees through Canadian Institute of English. westonreserve.org university. Would these degrees be accepted?[/quote]

If the CIE’s degrees are as legitimate as their TESOL certificates, I wouldn’t flash one in front of any discerning eyes for fear of instant deportation…

On a less sarcastic note, online degrees are not recognised by the government.

So CIE is a bunch of crap? I’ll stay away from them for sure. Though if I were to get a degree through distance study (not online study) through www.athabascau.ca, how would that work? Would the government recognize a degree through Athabasca University?

The government does not recognize “distance study” degrees.

The government does not recognize “distance study” degrees.[/quote]How will the government be able to tell whether it’s a distance degree or not?

The government does not recognize “distance study” degrees.[/quote]How will the government be able to tell whether it’s a distance degree or not?[/quote]

They have a list of accredited universities. Distance study degrees are usually not from accredited universities.

Athabaskau is accredited. So is Tri-rivers. They have actual campuses and they are affiliated with long standing accredited universities. They offer distance education in affiliation through other schools. For instance, If you take English 205 through Tri-rivers, the courses and curriculum might come from UBC. Accredited, but not nessessarily recognized here. They are real classes that take a lot of time and work to complete, and some even require travel to (Hong Kong I believe) in order for testing and whatnot.

It’s all really confusing and still does not solve the problem of the mystical list of accredited universities that the government claims to have. Has anyone seen it? I strongly doubt that the government has a comprehensive list of every accredited U in existence and what degree programs they might have. There are plenty of people here for years now with obviously fake degrees and it just doesn’t make any sense that the government doesn’t know any better. Somebody posted a link to a government website with some legaleze jargon about what constitutes an accredited school in their eyes but it didn’t seem to make much sense. It is possible to appeal the governments point of view but I would personally need to hire a lawyer to do it.

I would love to see their list of accredited universities.

I went to a small state university, the big one is University of Maryland but there are other schools in its system, UMBC, and Towson University, wher I went. Its a state-run 4 year school. They won’t have any trouble recognizing that right?
RIGHT?!

The eternal question…

Ian are you kidding me… ALL Universities including TU are University of Maryland STATE System and FULLY accredited WORLDWIDE for god’s sake it’s the STATE Uni of Maryland USA It is FINE…
A TU Grad here no problem sheeesh

Oh and canuckytuck stop scaring the poor noobies :taz: bad canadian bad :smiling_imp:

[quote=“taiwiener”]Ian are you kidding me… ALL Universities including TU are University of Maryland STATE System and FULLY accredited WORLDWIDE for god’s sake it’s the STATE Uni of Maryland USA It is FINE…
A TU Grad here no problem sheeesh

Oh and canuckytuck stop scaring the poor noobies :taz: bad canadian bad :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Well yeah, thats what I thought, I just got paranoid… thanks for confirming.

I was talking about distance education universities. I’m not bad.

They do not. However, they do have a master list of universities they consider accredited, and can also consult such lists provided by governments of other countries. If they have doubts, they can pick up the phone and call the representative office of the nation in question.

Michael

This is from “Labour Laws and regulations” from the Council of Labour Affairs Article 42. So if you have a qualification certificate for language teaching you don’t need a bachelor’s degree?? What kind of qualification certificate, would a Celta do? This law was passed last May.

laws.cla.gov.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDAT0201.asp

[quote]Foreigners to be employed as foreign language teachers as specified in Article 46.1.4 in the Act should meet with following requirements. The weekly working hours in the teaching-related work should be no less than 14 ( fourteen) hours.

1. Age: 20 or above.
  2. Graduation certificate from colleges or above.
  3. The language to be taught by the foreign employees should be the national language used in the country specified on the passport of the employees.
    The foreign employees specified in the previous Paragraph, need to obtain qualification certificate for language teaching if the employees do not own bachelor degrees. [/quote]

edit: click link then go to art. 42

1. Graduation certificate from colleges or above…

This means that if you have a college diploma only and, as such, fall short of having a bachelor degree, you must have a qualification for language teaching. But don’t worry, I believe that these can be obtained for a price in Canada :wink: