World Cup 2010 on Taiwan TV?

I believe they show rugby also. With BBC you can watch live, or you can watch or download anything that has been shown over the last month.

itv.com/ITVPlayer/default.html

[quote=“English_guy”]I believe they show rugby also. With BBC you can watch live, or you can watch or download anything that has been shown over the last month.

itv.com/ITVPlayer/default.html[/quote]
Cheers, mate. Looks great. :thumbsup:

[quote=“English_guy”]There is another option for consideration. I currently watch live UK TV channels online using an IP mask. Both BBC and ITV will be showing All the World Cup games live. I currently pay £6.50 (NT$300 a month) to a company called VPNUK. vpnuk.net/ to do this.

You are allowed to watch all BBC and ITV channels online if you are in the UK. This company just masks your IP so that it shows you are in the UK so you are able to watch. I have no problems with it, and since my PC is connected to my TV it’s just like watching it back home. I had a nice evening catching up on Emmerdale and Coronation Street the other night. (Sad, I know. haha)

Just another slightly cheaper option to think about.[/quote]
How is the image quality?
And, you are talking about BBC, bot BBC Sport, right?

It’s all the BBC and ITV channels, plus some others.The company give you a list sites for you to go to to watch different channels. You can also choose a US IP if you prefer and watch US channels iunstead. The image quality is great for me. The only think I would say is to make sure your internet connection is pretty fast and stable. You might get the occasional pause while it buffers, but not too often.

Just checked the ITV and BBC coverage of the World Cup - looks like between them they’ll cover all the Group games / knockout / Quarters / Semis and Final.

I’m hoping the BBC iPlayer and ITV player will pump out the games too.

Just signed up for vpnuk.net/, so will post back and let you know what the quality was like, if I can get to watch the England vs Mexico friendly tomorrow :wink:

(I have a 10Mbs down, 2Mbs up, both dynamic and fixed IP with Hinet - crap at 10pm, but most other times fine, and will actually go up to 17Mbs, so download speed this end should be fine for me.)

Hope it works ok for you. I am waiting up to watch the England v Mexico game too.

Just so that you know. You can watch live BBC here. bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/
and live ITV here. itv.com/Channels/ITV1/default.html
The England game is on ITV tonight.

the england mexico game is being shown on star sports later this morning. Wheres the logic in that? I’m not complaining… i just wish i knew what was going on in terms of televised games as you can never can tell what games will be broadcasted

[quote=“English_guy”]Hope it works ok for you. I am waiting up to watch the England v Mexico game too.

Just so that you know. You can watch live BBC here. bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/
and live ITV here. itv.com/Channels/ITV1/default.html
The England game is on ITV tonight.[/quote]

Ah - brilliant thanks for the tip, didn’t know I could do that :bravo:

Hmmmm…BBC1 is jumpy…ITV1 also…might not be able to watch that live. Just tested download speed with a 10Mb file with Think Broadband tester. Only getting 300/400kb download…maybe that’s not enough.

Still, I suppose I can download and then watch it, assuming it’s available that way.

Yep, That’s what I am worried about. I am afraid that during the WC it’s gonna be almost unwatchable.

Well, for me, watching itv / bbc doesn’t seem to be an option (230am in the morning here trying to watch England vs Mexico).

Tested with speedtest, and the connection to the server in TW was fine, 10M down, 1M up.

However, speed to the UK server both with vpnuk and with Hinet connection only measured at 1M. 1M sounds like you should be able to stream happily, but in reality the speed fluctuates down to as low as zero, and the connection just can’t buffer enough data to stream continuously.

So, watching live football looks like it’s a no go for me, but at least I can download Mock the Week etc…

Anyone else have any luck?

Are any local TV channels except for eracom.com/ confirmed to show the games? I saw “much TV” mentioned a few times, but no confirmation… maybe I didn’t find it?

PS: I normally don’t watch TV at all, else I would surely consider getting streamed satellite TV… sounds like a great idea :slight_smile: But just for the world cup that sounds like a bit steep investment (NT$10.000 + monthly fees for 12 months)… I guess it will be pubs for me, then :slight_smile:

Okay - this worked for me.

Using VPNUK £6/month -

I originally set up using OpenGui as recommended on their website. Not so good - buffering every 10 seconds for me. Just by chance installed as L2TP on my wife’s laptop, and that seemed to work better.

So I tried it on my laptop also following the L2TP setup from the VPNUK website (just follow the L2TP instructions instead of the Open Gui instructions.

Worked a treat. It’s 2.20pm in Taiwan atm, so not a peak time, but I’m streaming BBC1 and ITV1 simultaneously with no buffering, and surfing at the same time using L2TP configuration. Ran a Think Broadband speed test and that’s going up to 3900 Kbps.

Speedtest gives a download of 0.83Mbps.

Hope it works next time there’s a game on…:wink:

That’s great. Glad it worked for you in the end. I felt bad that you subscribed after my suggestion and you had problems.

You can test it out with the other England game tomorrow night.

:slight_smile:

Ah, no need to feel bad!

It was a bit of a runaround, but considering the problems I’ve had with broadband in the UK for nearly 10 years, it’s amazing I’m set up here to get British TV via a phone cable in Taiwan…

Been watching ITV / BBC (or at least it’s been on most of) today, with only a couple of re-buffers.

If it’s anything like that for the footy tomorrow, I’ll be very pleased indeed!

D

To start getting in the mood:

:smiley:

ps.
Directed by no other but Alejandro González Iñárritu

This is a great video. I love the part with Rooney.

Thanks for sharing.

:slight_smile:

It looks like ELTA (different than era.com?) will be carrying this big soccer thing in Taiwan (at least on my TV). I watch TV very little, am American (neither like/dislike soccer) and have no idea what they are saying during the commercials. But ELTA is available thru my 88NT (with the internet package) barebones cable TV package (also had the Olympics and basketball/baseball replays (all in Chinese)). Chungwa telecom’s MOD service which appears to have a completely different channel lineup from the typical cable that I’ve seen in Taiwan.

Again - my Chinese is almost nil, my knowledge of this soccer thing is almost nil and I have no knowledge of the different cable/satTV/ect… options in Taiwan. And there are probably long commercials during the game but it seemed like info worth sharing.

That’s MOD. I thought ELTA would have it, as it had the Olympics.

ERA is already announcing the games, but somehow, I can’t match the dates with the official calendar. If my Chinese is not playing tricks on me, they are saying something like Italy/Mexico at 1 am… As per FIFA schedule, it should open South Africa/Mexico, local Taiwan time 10pm. Unless they have concert/singing/dancing first… Or they do a “diferido”, menaing they translate first, broadcast later. Doesn’t really matter.

Did anyone watch the game with the VPNUK thing last night? How was it? I haven’t had much luck with these things in the past

We were in the pub watching on HAVA and missed about 15 minutes of the second half because they lost the signal (I didn’t even know Lampard missed a pen until I read it in the paper this morning)

At the minute, the crappy, ad-ridden, local feeds are looking like the best option.

I watched the game live on ITV. I have to say the quality of the picture was much better than the quality of the football on the pitch. Haha
I was able to watch with no problems. Just the occasional buffer every 10 min or so, but I can live with that.