Would You Eat This? or Meat Without Cruelty

Scientists have discovered a way to grow meat in a laboratory, without raising the animals. Growing chicken breast tissue or beef without having to raise, and then kill a cow or living chicken or cow.

newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/rel … cleID=1098

Would the vegetarians(not the ones that really don’t like the smell of cooked or cooking meat) out there start eating meat again?

Could vegans eat it too?

I would pay the extra for it! I am not a vegitarian. But I would SO pay the extra for it! When I was in Dallas we had a store that sold cruelty free meats. Like free range chickens and such. And honestly, I think it tasted better. But then again, that might just be because I didn’t feel sorry for what I was eating.

Your link is broken. And it isn’t because of the 3 Ts in Htttp.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]

Your link is broken. And it isn’t because of the 3 Ts in Htttp.[/quote] Thanks for pointing that out. The link is now fixed.

Thank you. What a great story. I do hate, however, the fact that they made no mention on the effect such a technology could have for countries and cultures based in regions with agriculturally unfriendly environments. Such a plant based in a starving country could both create jobs and help feed the hungry.

There has been news (rumours?) going around for a couple years that KFC isn’t “chicken” anymore because they’re all lab produced, without beaks, feathers, etc. I know a few people who don’t eat there because of this.

[quote=“Mianbao”]There has been news (rumours?) going around for a couple years that KFC isn’t “chicken” anymore because they’re all lab produced, without beaks, feathers, etc. I know a few people who don’t eat there because of this.[/quote] I know people who won’t eat their coleslaw due to other rumours about KFC and their staff. Both are urban myths.

Mianbao, here’s a website link debunking the myth about KFC’s chicken meat.

snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm

It is possible that scientists know the colonel’s secret recipe.

I know former KFC employees who won’t eat there due to the lack of sanitary conditions they say they witnessed (including an employee tossing a toad or somesuch into the fryer just for fun, along with the chicken). I know I’ve gotten the runs a couple times after eating there, but I can say the same thing for Pizza Slut and McD’s, and I imagine it’s really just the unhealthy, greasy crap they sell.

Fifteen years ago I would have done. Or rather I wouldn’t have become vegetarian.

Now - I have no absolute objections to this kind of meat in principle but I doubt I would ever eat meat again unless it was a matter of survival - what would be the point? (before you say for the taste - it wouldn’t taste good unless I worked at it to get used to animal fat again)

For me, vegetarianism is about human beings effects on other sentient beings and our environment - so a lump of disembodied meat doesn’t count.

Having said that - as with GM foods, I’d want to take the precautionary principle on health and safety grounds as well as environmental grounds.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Would the vegetarians(not the ones that really don’t like the smell of cooked or cooking meat) out there start eating meat again?

Could vegans eat it too?[/quote]

I’d drop the red meat and go with this. Probably stick with seafood though.

Chicken? They are really pretty stupid things so I’d probably keep eating them.

I don’t like to think about cows. Did you know that they can become still and get a glazed look in their eyes like they are thinking about something and then be startled the same as us.

I really shouldn’t think about this. I’ll end up vegan again.

I wouldn’t trust that stuff as far as I could throw it. At least if the meat’s come from an animal there’s a chance that the diligent among us could actually trace what went into it.

And a side issue - would people who have objections against cloning have any issue with this? Because that’s exactly what this seems like to me - a form of cloning.

Wild.

Sounds like the Hungry Heffer from Cheers! fame.

Loobster anyone?

What a huge industry this could be. Designer drugs, now designer meat, complete with all the nutrients a people need.

Save the rainforests, too.

I just think it’s creepy. It reminds me of Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. “Pigoons” and a “Bucket o’ Nubbins”. Really, we have no idea what effects genetic modification will have on our health and environment.

[quote=“peachka”]I just think it’s creepy. It reminds me of Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. “Pigoons” and a “Bucket o’ Nubbins”. Really, we have no idea what effects genetic modification will have on our health and environment.[/quote] Yeah, but I drink Coca-Cola products and the same thing could be said for them. I presently eat and drink plenty of stuff that I know nothing about the origins or other effects.

Yeah, and look at the health benefits of them :wink:

Me too, but that doesn’t make it a good thing.

I am guessing that it is just a rumour . . .

www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

And if you have two minutes to watch some videos . . .

peta.org/feat/moorefield/ or just try

petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp … lgrims_web

Seems like real chickens to me. Though you might find some truth to stories of chickens without beaks and such if you explore the links.

Mind you, anything coming from PETA just gives me the urge to go out and bite a live pig’s arse just to spite them.

Love or hate PETA, with me being rather indifferent, they still have some movies and such that make you think about what you had for dinner . . .

meetyourmeat.com/

Hmm . . . edit this and add petatv.com . . . on the off chance that someone will explore.

And for the record . . . I am not vegetarian just aware of the choices that I make.

This doesn’t much make me think about chickens. It makes me think these idiots who work in this particular slaughterhouse don’t know how to wring a bird’s neck.

My bothers, cousins and uncles are big on hunting and buckshot doesn’t always kill the birds, so they will wring the birds’ necks. It’s fast and very effective,and much more humane.

Funny how PETA will attack big bad KFC for this and not the workers for being inhumane. I didn’t like the fact that there was no description of what the hell these dolts were trying to do.

I am not going to get into defending PETA as the organization represents in practice one end of the spectrum that I am just not at.

I posted the KFC links and videos to show that KFC was still using “real chickens”. I watched the videos when they were first released last year but not yesterday when I posted the links. My recollection on the videos showing the chowderheads throwing the chickens against the walls, kicking them around, standing on them, and the like was that there was commentary criticising the workers more than KFC. The comment at the time regarding KFC was that the farm had just been recognized by KFC with a national standards or model practices award or some junk like that.

Targeting KFC over the actions of its suppliers or contractors is fair. That’s how dolphin-free tuna and turtle-free shrimp came about. And blood-free diamonds. And fair-trade coffee. And the anti-sweatshop campaigns. I have no issue with forcing a company to take responsibility for its products.

I posted the other links because we sometimes get disconnected from our food and the other products we use. It never hurts to reconnect a little with that. Not making or trying to make any statement other than that. Easiest way to deal with the PETA voice over is to turn the volume down.

And I too have hunted and killed for food. And I will tell the story sometime of the rabbit that just did not want to die.

‘Growing’ meat sounds like a great idea, but I just don’t like meat any more.

What concerns me, though, is that, while we may have the technology to grow meat, do we yet have a way to ensure that it contains all the nutrients that should be present in the meat of a healthy, naturally reared animal?

I’m not altogether sure that replicating nature is an advance, as you can be certain that, several years down the line, we will discover the down side to such food. Man-made foods sooner or later lead to more man-made problems. When we learn to regress to natural diets, one with less meat, then we will have truly progressed.