Would you rather drink Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

Would You Rather

• Kentucky Bourbon
  • Tennessee Whiskey

0 voters

Between the two- Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

Just getting a feel for people’s preferences here.

Tennessee whiskey means “Jack” around here, in fact there are only four brands. I’d like to try some others. Jack in its various guises seems overpriced here.

Rye!

As above.
And maybe some Maker’s Mark.

I quite like Early Times, myself.

I prefer the Kentucky, but Gentleman Jack, a Tennessee, is remarkably, near-Kentucky smooth and ergo very pleasant to sip straight up out on the back porch while the sun sets.

You can buy it by the half-gallon here in the US. I don’t, but I know Virginians - a bourbon lovin’ people if ever one existed - who do.

Do you, or anyone else, know where one can buy rye whiskey in Taipei? thanks

Sadly, it seems to be completely unavailable, and god knows, I’ve tried everywhere - import supermarkets, the best bottle stores, wholesale liquor suppliers.

I find adding some Fees Brothers Whiskey Barrel-Aged Aromatic Bitters gives my Bourbon the spice profile I prefer in an Old-Fashioned, making it slightly closer to the taste of the Rye.

Hobson’s choice.

Hobson’s choice.

Bourbon… but it’s more a matter of the greater variety of K Bourbons vs. Tennessee whiskeys, especially here in the Wan, where you can only get JD’s afaik.

Whatever is cheapest!

1 Like

right now, kentucky bourbon :slight_smile: mint julep season is here. mint fertilized and ready, made my simple syrup today

Do you have a recipe? I’ve got mint growing out of control.

Do you have a recipe? I’ve got mint growing out of control.[/quote]
The Wikipedia recipe works fine. The keys are the quality of the bourbon, the freshness of the mint, shaved ice, and the sugar (the raw, brown granulated sugar available in Taiwan is delicious in a julep). If you’re muddling fresh mint then be sure you allow the mix to mature as the mint gives up the ghost. You don’t need a julep cup to enjoy a mint julep, but it will never hurt (there’s something about the way sterling silver displays condensed moisture in the spring that makes it perfect for juleps, like a kind of promise of the future). Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are two excellent choices in bourbon, among many others not available in Taiwan.

This is basically what I do: drinksmixer.com/drink5382.html

I might use more bourbon, I don’t know :slight_smile: I use a simple syrup instead as here: allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-syrup/ I double the amounts and throw a couple of mint sprigs into the mix. Keeps in the fridge for months.

Finally skip that last mint sprig and straw :slight_smile:

I haven’t really tried Mint Juleps, but it’s something I mean to explore this summer. Just got to get over to the flower market and buy a few mint plants.

This guy, Chris Macmillian is a very well respected New Orleans bartender and cocktail historian. Here’s his recipe for the Mint Julep. Note he’s using Maker’s Mark. You can get that at the place over by Linsen N Rd, mentioned in the thread on Bourbon (for a couple of hundred NT cheaper than other places):

(and how the hell do you add a youtube video?)

Ahhh my kid’s Hello Kitty ice shaver works perfect