Would you rather drink Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

Not familiar with rye , went to Safeway’s ,walked past the whiskies.

Now Crown Royal has always been smooth. Smoother than Jack , smoother than a whole lotta other stuff.

I don’t drink much more then a few bottles a YEAR so it takes awhile to make my way back to another bottle of Crown Royal

List price 29 bucks but one can get em a bit less
Still 12.95 ?..

12.95 sale for 90pct Rye special
Northern Harvest Rye

Won some award in 2016 apparently

So can’t resist can I.

i am a believer…pretty dang good

Good deal

LOVE this.

Made many a mean mint julep with that thing

From Wiki:
Rye whiskey was historically the prevalent whiskey of the northeastern states, especially Pennsylvania and Maryland. Pittsburgh was the center of rye whiskey production in the late 1700s and early 1800s.[2] By 1808, Allegheny County farmers were selling one half barrel for each man, woman and child in the country.[3] Rye whiskey largely disappeared after Prohibition.

A lot of the founding fathers made their own rye whiskey.
Once Prohibition was repealed, rye whiskey lost its spot, because it takes longer to make (5-10 years, like article states below), and liquor makers wanted to get their products to the market ASAP.

Rye whiskey is for another topic.

I like both Kentucky and Tennessee whiskeys, it just depends. Kentucky for juleps, sometimes for sipping. Sometimes I prefer Tennessee. The higher the ABV, the more complex are the flavors on dilution. ABV is probably more important than whether the whiskey is charcoal-filtered or not, imo.

I don’t do cocktails (other than juleps, and that’s only one weekend a year), so there’s that.

Edit: where do you who drink juleps find mint in Taiwan?

Flower markets. Stuff grows like crazy in a pot in the sun on your balcony.

1 Like

Cool. That it grows like crazy makes me feel that I still have time. I just need to find some plants soon. Thanks.

This is a good time to get it going. Toss a small pot into one of those long planters and toss some “菜肥料” vegetable fertilizer in there. It’ll fill the pot in no time

1 Like

Nice to know that I can still do the spring face-plant in Taiwan. Kidding … but not much.

Ingredients are simple yet completely hide any hint of sour mash, the cocktail goes down like sweet tea with mint (imo), and next thing you know the bluegrass tastes almost as sweet as it looks. :flushed: Juleps provide almost zero feedback for “how much alcohol have I had,” ime.

In other words, a fine spring drink. :grinning:

Oh yes! They go down sweet. I’m a bit off the whisky, but for a while I’d make a bottle of simple syrup for the summer. Essential

1 Like

Well don’t know if it’s crown royal and that’s why it’s smooth but I can’t tell bourbon from rye as yet …need to drink more to discern.

Read somewhere Canadian whiskey used to be generally mostly or all rye

Is rye coming back in vogue as well ?

Seems smoother than scotch or bourbon or jack and certainly smoother then Irish , which seems harsh although distilled three times

Anyhoo whiskey novice here…

Get thee to thy nearest neighborhood bar and order a Jameson, neat, with water back. Then add a dribble of water to the Jameson. Sip it down, taste it, and then order 5 or 6 more.

Irish whiskey is a sweet spot between Scotch and American mashes, imo (apologies to Canadian whiskeys, but they sold their souls to other grains long, long ago). No peat, no sour mash burn, just a sweetish, mild whiskey flavor. St. Patrick’s Day is Saturday, they might be on sale!

Totally, ha. What an ultimate power move, though: “that’s right MOFOs, what y’all gone’ do?”

Hey whatever crushes the ice! I used a hammer for a while but it tended to wake up the neighbors

Kentucky bourbon by far it’s more Superior. On a personal note everyone should have a mint julep at least once.
Kudos to Jack Daniels whiskey for knowing and respecting Kentucky bourbon and not naming their product bourbon.

1 Like

Well, Jack is a product of Tennessee.

So my go-to regular bourbon used to be Maker’s 46, unless I happen to come across a good deal on Gentleman Jack, in which case I’ll grab a bottle of that. And then Costco was having a deal on Woodford Reserve (bourbon), so I decided to grab one.

I’m diggin it.

Try it out:

Woodford is sweet

1 Like

It’s Julep season again! Great for those hot days and also to wait for the bloody rain to stop so I can get the grill ready.

1 Like

If this doesn’t get you on the Bourbon nothing will.
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/JqPcXhqQHQ8