Wuhan lab leak theory

Act of War.

In addition, Dong has provided DIA with the following information:

• Early pathogenic studies of the virus we now know as SARS-CoV-2
  • Models of predicted COVID-19 spread and damage to the US and the world

If I were Chinese American, this bit would piss me off to no end. Americans are being blamed for shit people did because they look like the assholes who were carrying on thusly;

Hundreds of Chinese nationals are the subject of a federal probe after law enforcement officials flagged their travel at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Chinese nationals returned to the United States earlier than expected in January 2020, often having modified their travel plans.

The episode is recounted in an internal report that circulated among various national security and law enforcement agencies on June 3. That report surmises that the Chinese students returned to the United States earlier than expected in order to avoid future travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The team examined 58,000 inbound Chinese F/J visa holders in the [Passenger Name Record] database and identified 396 individuals whose return travel was [scheduled] after January 2020 but had returned in January 2020,” the report reads.

This seems like a huge intelligence coup. Almost too good to be true. With the timing, I can’t help thinking “double agent.”

Assuming it’s true.

This is explosive stuff, though.

The question is, though, what would be the motivation for China telling outrageous lies about, um, China?

1 Like

To distract attention from even worse stuff they’re doing? :open_mouth:

A “vice minister of State Security”? That would be unusual. More likely the content of the article is questionable. They themselves note “the defection is just a rumor” according to their “source” for the article, yet they somehow seem to feel they know a wide-ranging amount of the information he has provided. I’d look into this a bit more, maybe

1 Like

yes, this one was a red flag for me

how many hundreds of thousands of Chinese university students are there in the US (not to mention Australia and the UK)?

2 Likes

Yes, this certainly could be part of a disinformation campaign. I guess we’ll have to wait for things to shake out.

1 Like

Video about it on youtube:

If the guy did not, in fact, defect, then the question remains “why would China spread the rumour that he has?”. Something feels a bit off, but it would be pretty awesome if it turned out to be true.

It’s certainly possible he defected (maybe even probable?) but that doesn’t tell us anything about information he’s provided. The linked article seems to be exaggerating a bit there, maybe.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this information floating around various sites since about the time the media did an about turn on the origins possibly coming from a lab. Some of the other claims were they blindsided Christopher Wray with it and this so called defector had claims there were spies in the intelligence outfits including the FBI.

Possibilities if true are could be a genuine defection or as @Dr_Milker said a disinformation strategy or a combination, China might have seen the rest of the world wonder if it was a deliberate release, if it was indeed accidental, but man made, how better to get that information across than this guy, if what the article alleges is true he’s got everything on the virus from conception to spread, which might include how they dealt with (hopefully) an accidental leak.

1 Like

So you’re suggesting he’s going to spill the beans about all the research but “the truth” will boil down to an accidental release rather than an act of biological warfare?

1 Like

True, it could be seen as a time for extreme measures. Seems like it would be a dangerous game though.

1 Like

Operation Mincemeat.

This stuff happens.

1 Like

America has been sending mixed messages to China this year. It is likely that they are trying to antagonize them in some way to get a reaction. The G7 example was perfectly executed. China over reacted and showed their hand too early. China did the same last year by releasing the Air-force recruitment video.

2000 was the last senior Chinese defection to the USA.

They usually just buy a house there and get their kids green cards.

If Mick’s theory is correct, it would imply Chinese acceptance of the fact that they’ve been caught out (ie., the virus did originate in China and not, say, in Italy or the US), and they’re in damage-limitation mode.

1 Like

How far the damage limitation goes could be open to debate. Reluctant acceptance of an accidental lab release could be the best result for the CCP.

That’s what I was thinking. Almost nobody now believes COVID wasn’t from China. The best outcome they can achieve is “it was an accident” now that “it wasn’t me” is off the table. If in reality it was deliberate, that would be an excellent outcome.

If this guy Dong actually says, yes, it was act of war, well, that’d be a turnip for the books, and it’d be really interesting to see world leaders react to that, particularly toffs like the current British cabinet.

3 Likes

The CCP’s managed to sell the idea that anyone who questions the natural pangolin bat theory is a horrid racist conspiracy theorist for 15 months, so may be looking at another one now they’ve been found out.

They’ll find some progressives to back them.

2 Likes