Wuhan lab leak theory

Dunno, when they did wheel the vaccine out, you’d think it’d be more than 50% effective.

It’s all part of a plan to throw people off the scent!

Seriously though, it appears that the Sinovac vaccine is about as effective as any of the others, on the average. The 50% figure came from early trials in Brazil, IIRC. The performance of any vaccine is going to vary a lot depending on what it’s presented with ‘in the wild’. You can see this happening already with the other (Western) vaccines.

1 Like

Nope.

I don’t underestimate China at all, I just prefer a logical approach. It’s as logical as thinking China will try to invade TW under current protections.

As in, it’s not logical at all.

CCP is a lot of things, but not with the mindset of some tin-pot leader.

I do understand some do think it’s possible. I don’t agree that’s a level-headed look at the situation though.

Seems to me that the accidental lab leak theory (then trying to hide/control it) is much more plausible. I doubt some of the consequences are in China’s/the CCP’s interests either, e.g., Yantian port in Shenzhen locking down in the last couple of weeks, and now Guangzhou.

1 Like

What might appear logical to you is not necessarily logical to the CCP. You’re starting with different axioms, eg., “wouldn’t it be nice if we can all just get along?”. Put yourself in their shoes. You do know the history, I assume?

But they are logical, if you pay attention to years and years of economic power growth.

Their consistency in that, for example, is not consistent with the concept that they would do something so unpredictable and unmeasured.

That’s why it makes no sense.

So what’s the conspiracy theorist explanation for why they would deliberately release it in Wuhan near the institute of virology rather than, say, Fuzhou, or Kunming (closer to the bats), or Taipei, or Delhi?

1 Like

To make it look like an accident?

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. I’m not sure I care either way. But the thing about conspiracy theories is that you can usually find a plausible answer to any objection.

1 Like

Consider China’s obsession with Taiwan. As a weak country, they had no chance of claiming Taiwan back as Chinese territory. As a strong country, they can pretty much do anything they like.

Economic growth was a means to an end.

Yes. I bet I could make a connection between Trump colluding with China to create and release the virus, for example. But that wouldn’t be a productive use of time, or based on anything other than speculation.

Yes, I understand all of this. Which is why it makes no sense for them to interrupt their own economic growth, especially as they were in the process of doing it sort of under world radar.

I don’t doubt it :slight_smile:

China undoubtedly had the motivation to do it (deliberately). Whether they actually did or not … who knows.

I dunno. All economic growth needs a breather for retrenchment now and then. And in any case their primary motivation here would have been to ruin the economies of other countries (with stunningly successful results, intended or not). Taking everyone else down would give them great leverage upon rebooting their own economy.

Pure speculation of course.

You like to be logical do you @mups ? I might agree with you regarding China, I think @finley also makes some good points. Is it possible someone other than China had something to gain from such a release? Purely hypothetically, since I don’t think that’s what happened.

Since we are doing logic, what do you think the logical reason was for the Obama administration to reverse a ban on studying such gain of function research just 11 days before leaving office, right about the same time they were setting up Gen Mike Flynn and doing their upmost to sabotage the incoming Trump administration? Link

1 Like

It seems if they wanted to make it look like an accident, they would have wanted to make it look like an accident from a wet/weird animal market (as they originally did), not an accident from a virology institute being incompetent, no? Wouldn’t it make more sense to do that in another city?

Moreover, wouldn’t it be preferable to release it in Taiwan or India or whatever, and let them take the blame? Irrespective of whether the CCP cares about its people (I’m not sure many governments do), presumably it would be preferable to mess up the rest of the world in a way where another country takes the blame?

As long as we’re just asking questions here, I have a theory to submit for discussion…

You could too. Just point out Trump’s praise of Xi, his complimentary description of Tiananmen Square, his refusal to coordinate federal response, and his blanket denial that covid was a real thing of concern for like 2 months. You see, there are a lot of questions there, that kind of point to one thing.

Except I’m not in the business of pooping all over the internet with conspiracy theories. :brain:

1 Like

Fair points. I can only speculate on “How would I do this, if I were going to do it?”. Perhaps releasing it in China would be the ultimate cover story - people would say “WTF, why on earth would China release a virus in its own territory?”. Releasing it directly on foreign territory would cause immense blowback if they were found out - particularly if they were found out in the process of doing it.

FUD would be the name of the game in any such enterprise. You’d want to leave multiple trails leading in all sorts of different directions, ie., if you were found out, you’d want to make it all look like a stupid conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Sure, I just was. There’s room for all kinds of theories based on circumstantial evidence as the bar. I wouldn’t try to spread them all over the internet, but could be fun to explore them in here.

Why is it Trump denied covid was even a problem? Eerily Similar to how the CCP acted at the beginning of 2020, if you ask me.

Haven’t seen anyone with a good answer for that one yet…maybe we’re opening some new possibilities here…always good to question everything.

2 Likes