Xenophobia towards prospective Indian blue collar migrant workers in Taiwan

Canadians generally are way more pro immigration and accepting of differences than Taiwanese. Just look at the long-term immigration of Indians to Canada including before Trudeau

If they don’t want any foreigners in Taiwan, that’s fine. But, if they don’t want Indians because they’re all rapists, that represents a lost opportunity due to negative and unfair stereotyping of a specific group. (Edit: by “they” of course I don’t mean all Taiwanese think this way, many do not I’m sure)

Edited: if to of, racist to rapists, typos.

7 Likes

By that I presume that were simply saying: they are not dark brown people therefore that’s better.

I think the diet is quite similar as well. If they get 100k people from Northern India, then I would guess ~50000 of them would be vegetarians, and it would be hard for them to adjust to the cuisine here.

That is totally okay. But the voices with the most engagement in all of these posts are not rational arguments against immigration, but rather issues with the fact that the chosen group are “Indians” who are “all rapists”. This is literally xenophobia.

3 Likes

I don’t get what you mean here? Are you saying that the diet is similar between Taiwan and northern India, or that it would be hard for northern Indians to adjust?

Indian Americans is the ethnic group with the highest household income in America (though this is partially due to their larger household size). There are also plenty of Indians in Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore and while there isn’t much assimilation there, they mind their own business unlike Islamic fundamentalists.

2 Likes

I was replying to @afterspivak comment. Northeast Indians are typically not vegetarians. Cow slaughter is banned in a lot of Indian states but not in the Northeast → They are more used to consuming beef.

About 70% of North Indians are vegetarians according to this 2021 study. I don’t think they will be stoked at the idea of moving to a place where 牛肉麵 is a national delicacy.

So I think there is some logic to the idea that Northeast Indians would have an easier time settling in Taiwan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is lot of issues for indians who arent for northeast to adjust here. Food is one yes.Beef and pork would be a big turnoff. Also if they wanna cook their own food, there isnt easy way to buy indian groceries. Also north eastern indians will mix among locals and other SAE people better than lets say indians with “typical indian brown face” which locals would be so shocked to see because u never know when that guy will come to rape them.

3 Likes

They don’t want them to settle in Taiwan though.
There’s tonnes of Indonesians already too .

Lots of taiwanese don’t eat beef…

2 Likes

Ohhh, okay, I missed the distinction between “northern” and “northeast” and therefore the point. Thanks for explaining!

2 Likes

At least the Taiwanese food sucks thread might really take off. This could be Forumosa’s big moment!

4 Likes

If more indians come then maybe there will be more indian restaurants opening up at cheaper prices!

Sad about the racism. I’ve spent some effort trying to address the issues of racism in Taiwan and get students to think critically through these issues.

Personally I have met Taiwanese who have openly disclosed racist sentiments (towards Vietnamese and black skinned people and taiwanese aboriginals) so sadly it doesn’t surprise me that there would be racist sentiments towards Indian people as well.

6 Likes

It’s not unlike Japan. Very welcoming towards whites but hates anyone dark skinned.

Worse, at least xenophobics hate all foreigners equally.

I don’t necessarily think this is true either though. I don’t think racism is so simple. For example I’m quite dark skinned (often people here ask me if I’m either Indian or middle eastern although I’m neither) but have generally been treated pretty well. I have had racist incidents and that have been emotionally triggering for me it’s pretty clear that it’s not the default position for most people and that the more I interact with people the greater their trust and acceptance of me becomes (or at least feels).

Of course I don’t speak Chinese well still. There’s a possibility that there are things being said that I don’t understand. But I think it’s better to assume innocence /good intentions than assume everyone is out to get me.

1 Like

If that means we in Taiwan need to get hundreds of new competent Indian vegetarian restaurants serving affordable food, then I am all for this! :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

Why? because they are from a poorer country? The only valid reason is because they eat anything that moves. Besides that they are half 華人 themselves.

Yeah, it would definitely lead to more Indian food and even a direct flight between India and Taiwan.

But you know what? I’m damn worried about how this will play out. If this deal really materializes, it will be a much bigger deal and could even be a debate topic before the presidential election. I am worried about how it would affect the (already negative) public outlook towards Indians…

1 Like

Ugh, all this ugliness. In fact this labour agreement has been in the works for years and years (I remember that Joseph at the now sadly closed Joseph’s Bistro was excited about it, maybe five or six years ago?)—and here we are in 2023, on the eve of an election. It’s possible it may simply get punted, yet again, down the road . . .

Guy

Looks like will go through, they desperately need the labour force. Hasn’t been opened to hospitality notably.